Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a used Cayenne without CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pranqster
You might be able to work a deal with an owner that has had all services completed at the dealer, have the seller sell it to the dealer at an agreed price, then you buy from the dealer at a price that includes the CPO. I have one for sale that would fit that criteria.
I second this approach. One dealer near me was willing to do something just like it. The only reason I didn't is because I had already taken title - would have had to pay the sales tax again.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It depends on the CPO exclusions. I don't recall what exactly are the terms, but it would behoove you to compare the inclusions and exclusions against the well-known problem areas on 955s (there's a thread somewhere earlier that succinctly lays these out).

I have an '06 Turbo S with 27k and my sister has an '05 Turbo with 80k, neither of us have any kind of warranty. The coils/plugs failed on my car at 25k; they've never failed on hers. I had my coolant pipes precautionarily replaced at 25k when I had the coils/plugs done; her pipes ruptured at 78k. Neither of us has had any cardan issues. Both have had hatch struts replaced. She's on her second PCM; I'm on my first but the side buttons stopped lighting up last week. I'm mentally prepared to scrap my PCM and replace the cardan shift this year; she's mentally prepared to trade her car in as soon as the next thing breaks. Anyone want a lapis '05 with cheerios creatively wedged between interior panels?

The point is that things break on Cayennes at different paces, but in the end the same things break. It's unreasonable to expect to be able to drive this car to 120k and perform only regular maintenance.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuba
I think it depends on what you're used to. I like to buy used cars and am used to repairs, sometimes expensive repairs, and some aren't. If you are a take it to the stealership everytime you think you heard something weird kind of person then yeah you're probably screwed. If you're used to repairs, know how to get your hands dirty on occasion, and have a good indy mechanic then just do it.
^This. When you think about it: a mid-Oughts 955 is going to cost you around one-third of the original cost (if that). That's awesome!

I have a buddy who's an Audi guy. Every few years he goes out and buys the five year-old version of Audi's flagship sedan with all the bells and whistles for a fraction of what the original owner paid. He then proceeds to put fairly significant repair money into it from time-to-time as the very leading-edge and high-tech systems on his car begin to show signs of age and mileage. But, he doesn't mind, because he's a working stiff driving a world-class luxury sedan. A few years and tens of thousands of miles later, when he's at then end of his ownership, he sells it to the next guy for a good portion of what he paid (since the car has been well-maintained by his indy), and his total outlay is in the neighborhood of what he'd have paid for a middle of the road Ford or Chevy.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:54 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Anyone want a lapis '05 with cheerios creatively wedged between interior panels?
Going price on lapis '05 TT...?? Don't tell me it has pano roof.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Nemasis
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo3six
So I have been shopping around for GTS's for some time now. I have found a couple from time to time that have the options I require (trailer hitch being a primary factor) but are offered for sale without CPO through individuals or non Porsche dealers. I am fearful of owning one of these new fangled P cars without a comprehensive warranty. My perspective is that because the CPO warranty extends beyond the balance of the factory warranty, it is very valuable. However the GTS's that are advertised by BMW and Mercedes dealers for example are asking the same price as the CPO'd cars from Porsche dealers. Porsche dealers have told me that a CPO is worth about $3K within the selling price of one of their advertised CPO cars. Even if these vehicles are relatively reliable for a performance oriented SUV, in the absence of a warranty, any non-covered repair(s) could easily/quickly exceed $3K.
Interested to hear opinions on this dilemma... thanks.
I bought my 06 Turbo without a CPO. I have spent money on items that involve wear and tear but nothing that required it to be done to keep the car running. I did however upgrade the coolant pipes as I did not want to get stuck on the highway. So far I have no complaints. But it just depends on how the car was taken care of. i was fortunate in that the previous owner honored all the required service needs.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:36 AM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you find the car you want, and you know the history, buy it as you're still under factory warranty. CPO is an added bonus but don't let that stop you from finding the right vehicle for you.

I bought my first GTS from an audi dealer and was considering aftermarket warranty for peace of mind because I loved the GTS and was going to hang on to it for a long time. I was using the warranty period as a litmus test to see if a lot of things went bad - if so, then I would sell and find another.

Good luck, they are phenomenal vehicles.......although better w/ 6 spds. ;D

Last edited by GTS 6 spd; 02-07-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: erroneous info
Old 01-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

I bought my particular GTS because it gave me the longest warranty period over the other options I was looking at. So far, zero problems.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a used Cayenne without CPO?