Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling improvement priorities and recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:01 PM
dddd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling improvement priorities and recommendations...

Curious to see what you all think are the priorities for improving the handling performance of the Cayenne. It is interesting that Porsche has decoupled PASM from Air Suspension on the overly complex ordering sheet. My priority criteria is 'bang for the buck' (i.e. value). Do you agree?

1-Tires/wheels. Upgrade to at least 19", ideally 20" if you can afford it.
2-PASM. Wouldn't buy one without it, you will see it at all speeds, great to cruise in comfort for long highway, hit it into sport when desired or leave it normal for everyday. Included in the prem package, but if you want the camera, LCA, Vent, then order the prem plus and get air suspension and some other stuff for free.
3-PTV+. Just makes sense and believe it will be in all vehicles someday.
4-PDCC. Significantly improve corning, probably takes the cayenne PASM from about .85g to +.91g on the skidpad.
5- Air Suspension. Lowering the vehicle 1 inch with help with handling, but would be hard to notice by itself. Certainly raising it will help for true off road, pulling things out/in the water at the ramp, and towing in general. See point 2 in that you could get this feature for 'free'.

For those that have actual driving experience with all of them, do you think a Cayenne S with all 5 options handles like a base 911?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if they add any more computer wizardry into the handling, it might just become like the Nissan GTR...
Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dddd
For those that have actual driving experience with all of them, do you think a Cayenne S with all 5 options handles like a base 911?
Wouldn't go that far, as the effect of an additional 1.5 tons and higher CG can't be denied. But it handles damn well; better than any SUV has a right too. I really have fun carving up winding roads in mine; almost as much fun as I have in the Carrera.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:12 AM
dddd
Intermediate

Any thoughts on the priority from real road world experience? What I was really trying to get at anbd maybe should have just stated it... what are the real world road experiences in a cayenne with PASM/Air along with PTV+? Or another way what are the real world road cayenne experiences with PTV+ and PDCC? I am getting PASM/Air and probably PTV+ and on the fence about PDCC? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:30 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have PASM, and lower it, the car will be lowered by reducing the air in the airspring. This effectively reduces the spring rate. You'll have to think about that.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Yes, when you lower the vehicle you reduce the "comfort" factor of the ride, but improve the aerodynamics - thereby increasing stability and improving fuel economy.

With the PASM, you can also raise the P!g, thereby improving the comfort. Raise it up, put it on "comfort" and enjoy the terrible winter roads (frost heaves, rumble potholes, etc).
With steel springs, you get what you have.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:35 AM
dddd
Intermediate

ArneeA, thanks, meaning that it will be harsher?

On my 05 CS, I drove 98% of the time one notch lower and frequently adusted between normal, sport, and comfort... they didn't have the sport button for 05
Old 01-14-2012, 11:54 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Yeah, on our 05 CTT, we drive one setting below normal height and the shocks in normal or comfort.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:55 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

ArneeA, thanks, meaning that it will be harsher?
It might be bouncier. i.e. softer spring on stiff/firm dampener.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:54 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had an 08 CS with PDCC. Just updated to CTT with PDCC, PTV. I've had several 911, and now own an '07 GT3RS. I think a Cayenne with PDCC is a better daily driver than a Carrera. Easier to get in and out of, more storage and more luxury in the interior. The RS is still my favorite drive...there just is no substitute. The Carrera and Cayenne are more similar than the Carrera and RS. Both Cayenne's had excellent handling given the PDCC. I love PDCC, and will not drive a Cayenne without it. The Turbo has great power and the new PCM is a huge improvement. Find a Cayenne G, GTS or Turbo with PDCC. You will not regret it.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 AM
GTS Jay
Instructor

Don't think I've ever seen a P!G lower than a GTS with PDCC, but I know it was an option starting in 2008. I have it on my GTS and couldn't agree more w/jcastle - makes for an unbelievable (almost literally unbelievable given how flat it stays in corners) drive. Really a phenomenal technology...
Old 01-15-2012, 11:53 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
If you have PASM, and lower it, the car will be lowered by reducing the air in the airspring. This effectively reduces the spring rate. You'll have to think about that.
...or it may increase the spring rate, you might like to think about that.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do I have to drag out the slide rule and dig up Sir Isaac Newton?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:11 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by mcbit
...or it may increase the spring rate, you might like to think about that.
Are you saying that it does? If so, I don't see how.

The lowering links tricks the computer that the car is higher than normal, therefore, the accumulator pressure is decreased and possibly even compression is reduced. Once this happens, spring rate decreases.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:11 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Are you saying that it does? If so, I don't see how.

The lowering links tricks the computer that the car is higher than normal, therefore, the accumulator pressure is decreased and possibly even compression is reduced. Once this happens, spring rate decreases.
Doesn't matter what height the suspension is at, the pressure required to support the vehicle is constant. Lowering the suspension reduces the effective volume of the air cylinder not the pressure in it: lower volume = greater increase in pressure for unit length of compression = higher spring rating.

Quick Reply: Handling improvement priorities and recommendations...