Sponsored by:

Bi-Xenon beams too high

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Raj,

That's great.... any idea what those sensors cost? I get the "Check Headlight Beam Adjustment" warning and I am suspecting the sensors could be on its way out. My P!G is not a CPO.

thanks,
-Kalyan
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you check the connections on the sensors. I believe there are two, one located in the left front and the other in the left rear on the suspension. I had mine checked by the dealer and they reset the system but the problem returned. There is a ball and socket part attached to the sensor that can come undone. May not be the problem but worth your time to check out. I continued to have some problems with my lights and received the "dipped Beam" ! on occasion. Went through everyting and no change. I finally decided just to change the battery to see what would happen and I have had no further problems since. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kalyan
Raj,

That's great.... any idea what those sensors cost? I get the "Check Headlight Beam Adjustment" warning and I am suspecting the sensors could be on its way out. My P!G is not a CPO.

thanks,
-Kalyan
The best OEM Porsche prices are usually from Sunset Imports (Oregon) or Suncoast Porsche (Florida).
FWIW, I've used Sunset dozens of times and they have always been great.

As for replacing your sensor, you might need a quick trip to the dealer if the headlight level is slightly too high/too low .... PIWIS can calibrate the level as needed.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:04 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say that I don't think high beams can ever be too high
Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
I have to say that I don't think high beams can ever be too high
If you're talking about the Bat Signal, then yes.

I was referring to the low beam headlight adjustment, the bottom half of the Bi
Old 01-18-2012, 11:46 AM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

km1.8t, ltc,

thanks for the suggestions. I will check the connections etc out. The warning usually goes away at the next start of the vehicle. Yes, I have purchased parts for my Boxster from sunset in the past... very good prices indeed.

-K
Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

With regards to your "!" Dipped Beam warning, this is a very old and well known issue. Cracked/Corroded/Loose headlight connector.

Please remove the headlight assembly, inspect and clean the headlight connections (you can buy an aerosol can of electrical contact cleaner and lubricant, just for this purpose), then re-install your headlight.

If you notice any cracks in the mounting block(s), these need to be addressed, otherwise the headlight will 'bounce around' and prematurely wear out the electrical connections.

Judging by your avatar picture, it seems as though you have a later production P!g, so you probably already have the headlight ventilation tube TSB, rather than the Maxi Pad headlight dessicant TSB.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ltc,
I have an 06S and did all those repairs and checks as well as replacing the the pig tails on the wiring harnesses. None of those things worked. The battery was around four years old so I thought that maybe there was too much draw on the lamps so I changed the battery and this fixed the problem. Coincidence? Maybe but I don't think so as this went on for a long time and has not happened again since the battery change. Knock on wood!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Update:1/21/2012
All work was performed under CPO. Took them approx 45 mins to complete the job. Not a single $$. This was not my experice with BMW CPO. Looks like Porsche CPO covers everything and also there is no deductible. Very impressed.
I also pointed out the wear on the sound buttons on the steering wheel. The service manager is trying to see if they can swap it under excessive wear. Looks like they don't sell the part alone. Its part of the entire steering wheel, so it has to be very expensive. CS only has 56k and I purchased it like this at 49K. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Very happy to say the least!
Thanks everyone.
Raj
Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kalyan
km1.8t, ltc,

thanks for the suggestions. I will check the connections etc out. The warning usually goes away at the next start of the vehicle. Yes, I have purchased parts for my Boxster from sunset in the past... very good prices indeed.

-K
It was the sensor for me. Fixed the problem. If the problem returns, I will report back. From what I have read here, the lights have to be adjusted via a computer after the sensor is swapped.
Good luck.
Raj
Old 01-21-2012, 08:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, as mentioned earlier in this thread, level sensor diagnostics/replacement/calibration use PIWIS.

You are the beneficiary of the new/updated CPO. A few years back, the original CPO warranty was not as comprehensive; the newer CPO is much more like the original new vehicle warranty.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, as mentioned earlier in this thread, level sensor diagnostics/replacement/calibration use PIWIS.

You are the beneficiary of the new/updated CPO. A few years back, the original CPO warranty was not as comprehensive; the newer CPO is much more like the original new vehicle warranty.
Good to know, because it I definitely better than most other CPO warranties. I am very pleased.

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon beams too high