Sponsored by:

Dealership Warranty on "Check Engine" Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 04:14 PM
jamesdtm
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership Warranty on "Check Engine" Light

Hi there Cayenne Gurus, I would just like to ask regarding our Base Warranty coverage on a 2008 Cayenne V6. Our "Check Engine" light recently turned on, so we deceided to take it to the Porsche dealership where we purchased it and had it serviced since brand new (got it Nov. 2007). They were saying that the "Check Engine" light was on because of an "O2 Emission Sensor" and said that the Base Warranty will not cover this one. Correct me if Im wrong, but according to a Federal Law on Emission Warranty states that the manufacturer should cover emission related problems for 5 years/50k miles, so do we have a case here?

Hope you guys can enlighten me.

Thanks and more power!

James
Old 12-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would think so. Isn't there a warranty booklet that mentions the emissions parts covered in your packet.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,154 Likes on 764 Posts

You're wrong, but in a good way: The US federally required emissions warranty is for 8 years/80,000 miles. If you're under that - something like the O2 sensor should be covered. There are details out there on exactly what it does cover if you Google for it. Print the details out and hand a copy to the dealer with the parts that apply highlighted. Then sneer at them.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:14 PM
jamesdtm
Track Day

thanks for the replies gentlemen, we only clocked around 37k miles so the 8 yrs/80k window is way good for us. i'll look it up and show it to them.

another thing i would like to share, last year (around 13 months ago) when we had the service done with the dealership, they informed us that the windshield washer pump and shock absorbers have some issues and is covered by the warranty, and 13 months have pass and they still dont have the parts...

when this is all settled, maybe its also time to say byebye to those dealership service centers...
Old 12-28-2011, 02:18 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

fyi too, this is a known sensitivity issue that other threads have mentioned PIWIS should have an update. Mine has had the P0431 issue turn on several times in the past few cold spells over 2 months, it turns off after about 4 on/offs or when the computer decides it likes the cold or humidity or it warms back up above 45..

And if anything, you could, if forced, buy the upstream and downstream 02 sensors and replace yourself. Then if its still firing, your cat is dead but that is the most expensive part.....so start low!
Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM
jamesdtm
Track Day

thanks for the the reply cordsig79.

just an update, I reviewed the owners warranty booklet, and its sad to say that the certain emission warranty concerning the O2 sensor is only for 2yrs/24k miles. Luckily we got a third party warranty last year which covers O2 sensors and other emission related issues for the next 3yrs/36k miles.

we'll see today how the deal and service will end up.

hope it goes well.

Quick Reply: Dealership Warranty on "Check Engine" Light