Sponsored by:

Panamera GTS and Cayenne V6 order

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Here's a good explanation of why running a slightly different diameter tire (due to wear) on one corner of an AWD vehicle can be a problem:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=18
Good to know. Here's what they say about the Cayenne at the end (for the Cayenne it's based on the axle, doesn't mention the other axle):

Audi - As published in their vehicle owner's manual, "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.
Porsche - Cayenne within 30% of the other tire on the same axle's remaining treadwear.
Subaru - Within 1/4-inch of tire circumference or about 2/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.
No mention of the BMW specs.

Personally I hate the idea of shaving a brand new tire but if it saved me the expense of buying 1 (or worse 3) new tires I didn't need then I would gladly do it.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:20 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^...and if you look at Carrera 4s then you'll notice there's a difference of about 0.6" between in overall diameter between front and rear tyres which a bit more than 200% of tread deprth. I think there may be a similar difference in some configuraions of Cayenne Turbo Ss.

The diffs are there afterall to allow differences in speeds between wheels...however a single axle suspended tow is a different kettle of fish.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:46 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice info on the tirerack website Mike. Thanks for the link. I BTW, patched the one rear that had the nail and am using it. I can easily get another 5 K miles out of it before I change all four tires.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Quick update on the Cayenne/Panamera deal. The dealer is giving me a $5000 discount on the Cayenne, which equals approximately 7% from MSRP. Allocation for a February built.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:58 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice. That's the way to earn one's business. Those are the people whom you feel like giving business time and again. Glad there are no such dealers in Seattle. Otherwise I would seriously be tempted to change cars every few yrs. Got an offer for 2 % off a custom Cayenne build when I went to the dealer from whom I got my C4S. Needless to say I ordered mine through a different dealer.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-20-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:41 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Agree 100%. They have been great and I try to give them business whenever possible. I actually got a slightly better deal on the Panamera GTS from another dealer in a different state. But preferred to stick with them since I really enjoy doing business there. They acknowledged they were not able to match the offer and were happy to know I preferred to lose a little ($2k) and stay with them. Guess they are compensating now on the Cayenne...
Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Is your dealer an independent or is it owned by one of the bigger "groups" of dealers (Sonic ect).
Our local Porsche dealer is very good but admittedly I haven't tried to buy a new car from them (1 used though, very good deal). They are a Sonic dealership and when they took over 2 yrs. ago they really turned around a very ****-poor family dealership (our PCA club had stopped trying to work with them, it was useless). However the only local BMW dealership is also Sonic and I have gotten a couple of cars for the wife from them. They will not deal off of full MSRP and mark up everything from lease/purchase rates to parts costs. This last BMW for the wife was purchased from a dealer in KY who gave us invoice pricing when the Nashville dealer insisted on full MSRP (same car, ordered from BMW). I don't deal w/ the local BMW dealer anymore.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:00 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

I am honestly not sure. They have more than one brand in the same place under the same owner. I have a feeling it is not a big group.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:04 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's about the best discount I've heard on a V6 order. Heck add a couple grands more you can get a S! Great job!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:49 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Well, the couple grands is 12 grand to keep same config. That blows my budget...
Old 12-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by aalencar
Well, the couple grands is 12 grand to keep same config. That blows my budget...
A new Pana GTS and a new Cayenne (even a V6), that's still a heck of a budget.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

a man needs a budget to set himself some limits...
Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

a man needs a budget to set himself some limits...
I wish I could get my wife on a budget.......
Old 12-24-2011, 11:47 AM
pg103
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my first thread ever in a forum so sorry for the inexperience.

I just traded in my Panamera V6 for a Panamera GTS. Allocation with built date 02.01.2012.

I feel the Panamera GTS is pretty loaded so I did not add too much:

- ParkAssist, Front and Rear, with Reversing Camera
- Servotronic
- 20" 911 Turbo II Wheels
- Interior Lighting Package for Rear Compartment
- Bose® Surround Sound System

I got 3% off MSRP. Placed the order last monday as soon as they got the allocation.

We now decided to also change my wife's Q5 with a Cayenne V6. They also have a February allocation.

This is what I am considering:

- Cayenne Tiptronic
- Premium Package Plus
- Exterior Package in High-gloss Black
- Panorama Roof System
- Porsche Active Suspension Managmement (PASM)
- Servotronic
- 20" RS Spyder Design Wheel
- Heated Three-spoke Multifunction Steering Wheel
- 14-way Power Seats with Memory Package
- BOSE(R) Surround Sound System

I was ok with the GTS discount considering that was their only allocation. But I know they have more room to play with the Cayenne. What should I expect as discount on the Cayenne considering we are placing 2 orders at the same time?

Any suggestions on the configurations?

Thanks in advance for the info
Congratulation on your purchase and great build on both. I have a Cayenne V6 and it's a great car. You and your wife will love it. As far for price, I wouldn't settle for less than 4%. I got 4% (or maybe 4.5%) and I didn't even order a second car.

For your build, my only suggestion would be to opt out of Pano roof and keep it as traditional sunroof. The reasons being are 1. If I'm not mistaken, it's a costly upgrade (around $2000 where it's included in the premium package plus) 2. Pano roof weight more than a traditional sunroof. On a base engine V6, you may find a lagging in performance.

Otherwise, I think you have very solid build. Hope this help. Congrats and Enjoy!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Tex94
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pg103
Congratulation on your purchase and great build on both. I have a Cayenne V6 and it's a great car. You and your wife will love it. As far for price, I wouldn't settle for less than 4%. I got 4% (or maybe 4.5%) and I didn't even order a second car.

For your build, my only suggestion would be to opt out of Pano roof and keep it as traditional sunroof. The reasons being are 1. If I'm not mistaken, it's a costly upgrade (around $2000 where it's included in the premium package plus) 2. Pano roof weight more than a traditional sunroof. On a base engine V6, you may find a lagging in performance.

Otherwise, I think you have very solid build. Hope this help. Congrats and Enjoy!
I have the pano roof and a V6 and I can say it is definitely worth it and will not slow down the car measurably. Plenty of power and I do not believe it impacts handling either (I test drove a V6 with a regular sunroof too). I was worried about heat but haven't found that to be an issue yet - although I haven't had it over the hottest months of the summer yet.

Quick Reply: Panamera GTS and Cayenne V6 order