Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by s4for5
2006 S with 70k
Limited regular usage and mostly our tow machine
4000lb Boat trailer with no trailer brakes every weekend from May - Sept.
Trailex trailer with surge brakes about a dozen times this year loaded with various weight German cars.
Utility trailer for college move ins, trash disposal and odd sized purchases.
5k engine oil changes
3 sets of brake pads, 2 sets of rotors.
P car guru Jerry Pellegrino at EPE says to leave the tranny fluid alone unless I absolutely insist.(I don't second guess the master)
Pulls like a train and I have to keep reminding myself to slow down.
When towing try to remember to manually select 1st gear or she will start off in 2nd.
I need 3 different draw bars as each trailer has a different tongue height along with 2 different lighting pigtail connectors to keep all the lights correctly wired .
Never had the dreaded "check trailer lights" message others have spoken about, but I only use incandescent bulbs, no LEDs for me.
Best tow machine I could ask for.
I find it real hard to believe Mass allows a 4,000 lb trailer without trailer brakes. My boat trailers in FL had to have brakes (I had surge). I do have a 5 x 10 landscape trailer that doesn't require them though.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Usually 1000lb max for a non braked trailer
Old 12-15-2011, 05:24 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Maybe I'm off a little but not much

Aluminum trailer probably weights 5-800lbs
Boat just over 3,000
No Trailer Brakes
Bought it new this way in 1996 in NH.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have driven probably 3 to 6 thousand miles a year with a an aluminum trailer and 3-4,000 lbs of tools, tires and car in my previous 04 "S" and my current 08 GTS. No mods other than the tow pack and never had an issue. 04 went over 100K under my ownership and never gave any issues other than coils under warranty. Never serviced beyond what was asked by Porsche (which I think included 20K between oil changes). Current GTS recently took me from Texas to Newfoundland in 4 days with no issue whatsoever.

Have tried, driven, travelled in several alternatives whilst towing all the way up to an F350 diesel and (with the exception of the Audi Q7 - which I might buy for the fuel savings the diesel offers) I would not consider anything else for doing the job. The cayenne is a fabulously comfortable ride, has way more performance than you need (even with a trailer on) and, as I have once proven, incredibly safe.

And before everybody jumps on me, please note that I tow a package south of 5000 lbs and I do so intentionally. I want to keep my weight down so I do not need an 18 wheeler to get to the track. Although I have towed a 24ft enclosed behind a Cayenne and it worked fine, it would not be my first choice if your intent is a large enclosed trailer. Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:28 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS. I have driven a long distance without electric brakes when my controller failed and, although I had no issues, it probably isn't the smartest choice.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Boat just over 3,000
No Trailer Brakes
Oh I wasn't doubting the weight, it was the issue with no brakes being required.

TN is quite lenient when it comes to vehicle/trailer requirements (no registration required for private landscape trailers ect) but here are the brake requirements.

BRAKES (TCA 55-9-204) (FMCSR 393.42, 393.43)
- Trailers with a gross weight of 3,000 lbs. or more are required to have brakes on all wheels.
- Trailers with a gross weight of 1,500 to 3,000 lbs. are required to have brakes on one axle.
- Trailers with a gross weight of less than 1,500 lbs. need not be equipped with brakes.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:29 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I tow a 4500lb boat on a tandem axle trailer with 4-wheel disc surge brakes. I've been towing on and off for about 30K miles and have done four 2,000 mile trips with the boat in tow. So far no issues. The CTT is an excellent towing machine. I don't have any issues with the mirrors either, though if you're towing a box trailer you might.

The most extreme of the trips was during 105 degree heat in mid-summer through NY/NJ traffic. No issues. I ran the oil 9K miles on that trip and had it analyzed when I started to feel guilty with all that high temperature and heavy load driving. The analysis showed good results, so 10K oil changes don't seem to be a problem under those conditions.

Power, brakes, and wiring have all been great. Averaged 11.5-12.5 MPG. Air-suspension keeps things nice and level too. Frankly aside from a diesel Cayenne (or an F-350 diesel) I can't think of anything that would tow better. It absolutely tows better than the F-150's and 1500's of the world.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
I tow a 4500lb boat on a tandem axle trailer with 4-wheel disc surge brakes. I've been towing on and off for about 30K miles and have done four 2,000 mile trips with the boat in tow. So far no issues. The CTT is an excellent towing machine. I don't have any issues with the mirrors either, though if you're towing a box trailer you might.

The most extreme of the trips was during 105 degree heat in mid-summer through NY/NJ traffic. No issues. I ran the oil 9K miles on that trip and had it analyzed when I started to feel guilty with all that high temperature and heavy load driving. The analysis showed good results, so 10K oil changes don't seem to be a problem under those conditions.

Power, brakes, and wiring have all been great. Averaged 11.5-12.5 MPG. Air-suspension keeps things nice and level too. Frankly aside from a diesel Cayenne (or an F-350 diesel) I can't think of anything that would tow better. It absolutely tows better than the F-150's and 1500's of the world.
OP should be very pleased with this response, I suspect this will answer his question.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Boat just over 3,000
No Trailer Brakes
Surprisingly (or not surprisingly), Massachusetts allows for no trailer brakes 10,000 lbs or under!

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/
Every trailer having an unladed weight of more than 10,000 lbs. shall be equipped with air or electric brakes.

Frightening... almost every other state in the US is 3000lb or under regarding brake requirements.

http://www.towshop.com/trailer_suppl...aking_laws.htm
Old 12-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

That site needs to update it's info. They have TN w/ 3,000 lb when it's 1,500 lb.
What I posted above came directly from the TN MV web site this AM.

That is NOT to say the Mass info is incorrect.

Quick Reply: Q: Long Term Towing with Pepper