Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here...question about owning a Cayenne.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 PM
GT-ER
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here...question about owning a Cayenne.

Hi, I may or may not be purchasing a Cayenne in the near future as a daily driver. I own a 2005 Mercedes E55 AMG and quite frankly I modded it enough that the roads down here aren't kind to it ( 500+whp, lowered on 19" wheels ) and may be moving on to other things.

I could care less about power so a V6 is likely a good option but I don't mind a V8...except, is the V6 more reliable ( coolant pipe issue comes to mind )?

I am my own mechanic so the cost of labor isn't a problem for me, the cost of parts however is. How would this SUV compare with my E55 ( which has been pretty reliable to be honest )?

Anything to look out for in a V6? Or are they more problematic than a V8?

My other options are a 1st gen BMW X5 and a 1st gen Infiniti FX35.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 PM
GT-ER
Cruisin'

Oh, and I'm looking at 03-05 Cayenne's.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:41 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

The early V6's are not as nice as the later ones -- the later engine had enough power. The V8 is still the best option IMO. The V8 is a very nice power plant --must get the coolant pip upgrade.

I would bet the FX35 would be the most reliable and inexpensive
Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 PM
GT-ER
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by yeldogt
The early V6's are not as nice as the later ones -- the later engine had enough power. The V8 is still the best option IMO. The V8 is a very nice power plant --must get the coolant pip upgrade.

I would bet the FX35 would be the most reliable and inexpensive
The only issue I have with the FX is the interior kinda sucks...it's the only reason I'm actually considering the others. As a matter of fact, it's in last place just for the interiors alone.

I really don't care for power, it could have a 4 cylinder for all I care...lol. I just want reliability and a good looking vehicle (inside and out ). For power I may get myself a Vette or something similar.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 474 Posts

The 6 has enough power to get things done on a daily basis. The only time I've found it to be sluggish is when I have a lot of stuff loaded: like when I had half a ton of building supplies for a firepit; then it seemed a little slow.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GT-ER
Oh, and I'm looking at 03-05 Cayenne's.
Reliability is not really a hallmark of the 03 adn 04 P!gs. Mid 05 was better.
From a reliability perspective alone, the FX will win out against the P!g, unless you really don't mind performing all the TSBs/upgrades/repairs on an 03-04.

The Cayenne V6 in this MY range is the VW VR6 derivative ... an excellent engine.

Good luck with your search.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:28 AM
GT-ER
Cruisin'

Anything in particular that tends to go bad on V6 03-04 Cayenne's?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:34 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Anything in particular that tends to go bad on V6 03-04 Cayenne's?
There isn't enough disk space to list them all ...

But the highlights of P!g ownership

Coolant tubes
Cardan shaft
Coils and Plugs

That's about $5K right there.

Everything else is "relatively minor inconveniences"
Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am a base 06 original owner. AMA

Nothing particular........cardan shaft is the only relative issue, mine went at 65k. I am at 115k. Just did coils, spark plugs, batteries.........consumables....must run 91plus octane....change oil every 6-12 months....100 bucks.......buy pads/hardware/sensors every 25-35k miles, new rotors every 50-60k miles.. regularly change engine filter/cabin filter every 10k miles or 6 months.

Point and go model.

I pulled my Supra Launch LTS wakeboarding boat with it for 4 years.......no issues in flat areas of Texas or at the boat ramp with a boat full of people and bags still full.

I think all the aisin transmissions may eventually need a solenoid or TCU valve replacement. I drive very conservative so this does not rear its head but I know mine has some rough shifts above 3k rpms when giving it a run up to highway speeds on short on ramps.

My truck will get some all terrain tires and probably forever be my hunting wagon/camping mobile. I spent Thanksgiving on the family hay farm.....even with 22's in a dry pasture it was more than capable milling around(not recommended due to side wall unless you know the pasture ) and even going down a wet texas clay road to my favorite duck hunting hole was easy.

I still recommend the V8 if you like louder cars and ability to chirp the tires............GAS MILEAGE is the same unless on the high way on 17's .
Old 12-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Cuba
Instructor

The FX35 has a very reliable proven powerplant, I had a G35 that was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. They're fugly though, and the interior is not a nice place to be. Cheap plastic feel. I looked at X5's too but they're a dime a dozen, nowhere near as good off road, worse interior, bad seats. Why not include the Toureg in your search?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:29 AM
GT-ER
Cruisin'

Wow...are cayenne's really that bad? I've been reading a lot in this forum and it seems that everyone complains of how many issues they have with their cars.

I don't hate the Touareg's looks, but I don't like it much either. I really like the X5 and right now it's looking better than the Cayenne is due to all the complaining with the cayenne's reliability.

I think the FX35 is beautiful on the outside, but the inside looks like a nissan sentra. What a shame.

I can't think of any other comparable suv since land rovers apparently suck as well.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 AM
GT-ER
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ltc
There isn't enough disk space to list them all ...

But the highlights of P!g ownership

Coolant tubes
Cardan shaft
Coils and Plugs

That's about $5K right there.

Everything else is "relatively minor inconveniences"
V6's don't have the coolant tube problems...do they?

Also, remember I'll do all work myself so only the cost of the parts matter.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:51 AM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an 04 Fx35 loved it bought it with 12k miles sold it lastyear w 110k no issues .. It was red w the black leather I did the shifter upgrade and brushed aluminum kit to spiff the Interrior up... Gps was good and I had it pretty modded real easy to work on... I did the Eibachs springs,Magnaflow exhaust ,ECU upgrade coldair intake bumped the timing thing was quick.. I just needed mote room so I went to an ML55 got a great offer to sell it then came over to the Cayenne S .I like it feels as planted as the FX not as nimble IMO bit I'm very happy and when I did the Magnaflow exhaust on the V8 it does sound amazing ... Now I want a TT. good luck.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:13 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO People buy Cayennes for 2 reasons:
1. They don't know any better.
2. They know better, but in spite of it's defects realize that it is one of the best (sporty) driving SUVs on the planet.

As far as your other choices...the Toureg has plenty of issues AND crappy customer service, so cross that one off.
The BMW is a Sporty Action Vehicle, minus the utility.
Every Japanese SUV I've ever driven feels like driving a couch on a cushion of marshmallows.

Drive them all an buy the one you can see yourself in every day for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,521 Likes on 953 Posts

Wow...are cayenne's really that bad? I've been reading a lot in this forum and it seems that everyone complains of how many issues they have with their cars.

I don't hate the Touareg's looks, but I don't like it much either. I really like the X5 and right now it's looking better than the Cayenne is due to all the complaining with the cayenne's reliability.

I think the FX35 is beautiful on the outside, but the inside looks like a nissan sentra. What a shame.

I can't think of any other comparable suv since land rovers apparently suck as well.
My '04 Cayenne S has been very reliable. I've got about 97,000 miles on it now. I've replaced my coils, water pump, fuel pump, battery (twice), horns (twice) and coolant pipes. Even with these fixes, it has never left me stranded and the cost per mile has been relatively low.

Quick Reply: New here...question about owning a Cayenne.