Sponsored by:

Audio Options on new Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Options on new Cayenne

I'm getting ready to put down a deposit on the new Diesel Cayenne and I've spec'd out all the options i want - or so I thought. I originally passed on the upgraded Bose sound system, as I listen to alot of talk radio (CBC in Canada)while in the car, althoguh more music on weekends. So my question is: is the upgrade from the standard system worth the almost $2k? I listened to the standard system and thought it was fine, but now I'm thinking I might regret not going for the better system. Don't have unlimited budget so want to be cost conscious, but also don't want to regret a bad decision. Any thoughts?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Standard or Burmeister. Skip the Bose.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Tex94
Instructor

If you listen to mostly talk radio, I would say you will be fine with the stock radio. As long as you get the PCM system your wattage gets increased from 100 watts to 235 anyway. That said, I have the Bose and I am happy with the purchase and definitely feel the sound is an upgrade for listening to music.

I see that they have added HD Radio as an option. That would be a nice add IMO, especially if I could drop the anachronistic 6-CD changer on the Bose package for that.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 PM
JBCayenne
Track Day

I have the PCM without the Bose or Burm upgrade. I think the stock (235 W) system sounds great. I typically listen to the ipod and it sounds very clear and it gets plenty loud without any issues. I really stressed about this option, but I am really happy with the stock PCM system. No regrets at all.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Thx for all the responses. l'm thinking i'll just leave it at the standard PCM system. l feel better now.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You will be sorry if your wrong. Listen to things first
Old 12-13-2011, 12:04 AM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get an USB input for your iPod only if you upgrade to PCM Navigation, by upgrading to BOSE will not get you the USB input.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:04 AM
jerry joseph
Pro

Get a dvd-audio of "Toots and the Maytals"greatest hits or KD Lang "Invincible Summer"(among my fav driving dvd-a's)or any other dvd-a from an artist you like...and then turn it up to 11 on the Burmester...\
I put the B on par with the PCCB"s as an expensive,but more than worthwhile option...just my 2c
Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 AM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Bose option in my 997 and I consider money wasted. Never will I get it for the Cayenne.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:31 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

I compared some loud rock and classical and jazz and alternative and house music (amongst others)

The standard PCM was okay, the Bose made me feel it, the Burnmester I couldn't tell the difference at speed. (I know others will tell us different, but I couldn't tell the difference.)

I just came back from a 3 hour drive listening to AC/DC & Led Zeppelin & Lyle Lovett & KD Lang & others...
Felt and heard the difference every song - glad I got the Bose.
I guess the question would be - do you buy your stereo equipment from Sears or Best Buy or a home theatre store?? If you spent less than $2K on your home sound system, get the standard PCM, you won't likely notice the difference.
If you spent between 2 and $10K on your home system, get the Bose.
If you spent more than $10K on a set of speakers, get the Burnmester.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Cowboys5
Instructor

You guys are making me second guess myself again, which I suppose illustrates the subjective nature of the question. I am upgrading to the PCM Navigation. The only Cayenne they had in stock at Downtown Porsche (Toronto) was the base model tester, which only had the standard system. So I haven't listened to the Bose upgrade yet (the Burmeister is out of the question for $ reasons). Of course, if its the same system in some other models as suggested by someone earlier, I suppose I could go back and listen to the Bose in a non-Cayenne.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

No I don't think that will work, the Bose in the Cayenne certainly the later ones is not bad at all. People (person) who designed it hate it because it was a compromise (no names mentioned) but compared to the base unit its miles better unless you just listen to Rush all day then you may as well just buy earplugs.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:39 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure whatever you get has the USB port, unless you only listen to the radio. The Bose came on my Cayenne S and we are happy with it, not because it has astounding clarity, but simply because it is easy to listen to and doesn't get tiring on long trips.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:09 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
People (person) who designed it hate it because it was a compromise (no names mentioned) but compared to the base unit its miles better unless you just listen to Rush all day then you may as well just buy earplugs.
Trust me, it's either Burmeister or Base ... the Bose is a waste of money.

Of course, this is just one person's opinion. Afterall, how much could one person know about the audio systems in these vehicles

Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

OK I was trying to spare you the embarrassment, no more buster !!

Since you left the program it seems to have improved, my new one sounds better than on the 04, perhaps they got an intelligent engineer in there, who knows

15-0

Quick Reply: Audio Options on new Cayenne