Sponsored by:

ageing batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:44 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ageing batteries

Was at a party last evening and got the -- don't you own a Porsche line ....... and then had to listen to a fellow partygoers Cayenne woes.

He mentioned his failed battery and the difficulties in getting it replaced - they did not have the correct tool ......and the bolts got damaged.

My 06 S still has the original battery so I'm sure that many others are still driving around with batteries that will soon need to be replaced. I purchased the proper triple square bit and got two new seat track bolts from the dealer when I was ordering other stuff a few years back on the recommendation of someone on this forum. I keep them in the SUV.

I would have thought that the triple square wrench would be common today since VW uses them -- obviously not. So maybe still a good idea to make sure you get the tool and two bolts ..... evidently the bolds are difficult to remove even with the proper tool -- and Porsche not surprising does recommend that they be replaced .. The new ones come with some sort of thread lock on them.

While I have not seen the battery for the Cayenne -- from all accounts it is a common one - used in many Jags/ MB's and BMW's and available everywhere
Old 12-12-2011, 11:23 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bolt was not hard to remove. I even used a T-something (maybe 45?) vs the proper triple square. Just make sure you remove the plastic railing covers on the back of the seat before you tilt it back otherwise you will break them. I reused the bolts by applying thread lock.

Yes, battery is available anywhere and much cheaper than varta OEM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Hmm...a..triple square and battery are both in stock at AutoZone. So there is nothing hard or rare bout it.

We changed mine in the parking lot. Took all of 15 min.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Kragens, Autozone, Schuck's, and most Napa stores carry Triple Square / XZN tools, individually or in a set. Most also carry our battery which is I believe a Group 49, same as the one in my Audi.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Even Pepboys have them
Old 12-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

What's a triple Sq?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Well I guess everyone should go to Autozone and and get a triple square -- because when your battery dies the guy that comes may not have it.

And batteries normally die on weekends at your brother-in- laws country house -although you can more than likely swipe the battery from his extra BMW when he is not looking.

The guy last weekend was not so lucky --- And we have no Cayenne shortage in Gladwyne.

This was just a "public service announcement" -- I'm sure many Cayenne owners think the battery is hiding under all that plastic beneath the hood.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:32 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Hmm...a..triple square and battery are both in stock at AutoZone. So there is nothing hard or rare bout it.

We changed mine in the parking lot. Took all of 15 min.
I second that. Hardest part of the whole job is lifting the damn thing...
Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Stone43
Racer

So here is my battery story. Started getting the random errors and this being my second Cayenne, I knew what was happening. I went to the dealer. I was quoted $270 for the Interstate Battery and then 2 Hours of labor. Putting it at around $500.

I then drove the 2 miles to the local Interstate store and bought the battery wholesale for $127. I went to AutoZone and found the wrenches. They come in a 4 pack, the vendor is called OEM and they retail for $12.99. You only need the 10mm, but my time is rare and I was not about to go on a hunt for just a single. I will post pictures soon.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

I bought the same tools yesterday from OZ and the batter from AAP for 127. Battery lite is still green.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:59 PM
r6bruin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stone43
So here is my battery story. Started getting the random errors and this being my second Cayenne, I knew what was happening. I went to the dealer. I was quoted $270 for the Interstate Battery and then 2 Hours of labor. Putting it at around $500.

I then drove the 2 miles to the local Interstate store and bought the battery wholesale for $127. I went to AutoZone and found the wrenches. They come in a 4 pack, the vendor is called OEM and they retail for $12.99. You only need the 10mm, but my time is rare and I was not about to go on a hunt for just a single. I will post pictures soon.
Amazing how stealer rips people off Just wondering, do you need to reset anything afterwards? i.e. windows setting, fuel gauge, tire pressure sensor, etc...
Old 09-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The idiots at my local Pepboys and Autozone looked at me as if I had 2 heads when I asked for a triple square. I bought it from the Matco truck.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced the original battery in my 2005 Cayenne Turbo last week. It was still working but my radio was doing some funny stuff so I thought I should get it replaced. I don't notice any difference other than all my radio presets work again!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:32 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not, repeat NOT, let your battery die completely. The jumper posts won't deliver enough juice. SO here is the problem I was presented with. COmpletely dead battery means that driver's seat won't go forward or back. Can't get battery out with seat in place unless the seat can move all the way back. FInally got the new battery charged, disconnected the old battery, used jumper cables from the new battery to the power leads and got the seat back. Freaking PITA. Do not let your battery die completely! BTW, 2004 CS, original battery for 8.5 years.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:40 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1- I your running on an original battery after this long more fool you

2- I you put power to the posts it will allow the seat to move

Quick Reply: ageing batteries