Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered 2013 Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 AM
rcarpen22
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I'm assuming that even in Germany, you can't get a Cayenne with the V8tdi? That stinks. It's 340hp, 590ftlbs. More powerful than even the V10tdi. I wonder why you can get that engine in the new Touareg (in Europe), but not the presumably more sport-oriented Cayenne.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That V8 would be a BEAST in the Cayenne, but even the 3.0 TDI has enough torque for the Pepper so the extra horse power may not really be that relevant.... ;(
Old 03-29-2012, 09:48 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Diesel + turbo = big tuning potential
Old 06-02-2012, 01:57 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered mine two weeks ago, August delivery to Nashville. Posted this in another category, but - being a noobee - I'm not sure it was the right place. So: Dark blue metallic w/standard Luxor beige interior. Premium Plus package, Bose upgrade, tow package, model delete option NA0 (all that does is eliminate a few badges). Surprisingly, no keyless entry in the P+ package. No wood trim either, nor did I order any. Interior trim packages start at $995 and skyrocket from there. What seem to be quality aftermarket burl wood DIY kits start around $230.

I've got the same basic engine in my 2011 Touareg TDI, it's also in the Audi Q7. The Touareg is VAG-tuned to 225hp/406torque. The Cayenne is Porsche-tuned to (at least) 240hp/406torque, and is rated to tow 7716 pounds. Zero to sixty time is stated as 0.2 sec faster than the base Cayenne. Not bad for a 5000 pound diesel. Contemplating a Custom Spooling remap, they claim (up to) 285hp/600torque. That should put some rubber on the road !! And yes, they offer DPF delete as well.

Contacted over a dozen Porsche dealers, a majority of whom stated they'd already sold or committed their initial 2013 allocations. So at first blush it seems like it may be a popular version. I'm thinkin' it might even deserve a dedicated forum category. Input?

//greg//
Old 06-02-2012, 02:09 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by BSL
Any word on if it will be available in a manual?
Appears only the base Cayenne (3.6l V6) has a manual option. I could only get the 8spd Tiptronic in the diesel. But it's the same tranny that's in my 2011 Touareg TDI, and it's impressive. On the T3, the Tiptronic manual mode is on the console shift lever. I'm told on my Cayenne it will be on the steering wheel; sorta paddle shift style. But I'll believe that when I see it.

//greg//
Old 06-02-2012, 03:41 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I hope we can get a descriptive comparison of the diesel cousins once you have Some time behind the wheel of the new whip.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:11 PM
grohgreg
Pro

I'll be more than happy to provide a Touareg TDI versus Cayenne diesel comparison. But it'll have to wait till August.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 06-02-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Well I'm from NY. I dont really care where anyone lives.. ha, just bein ironic!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:16 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

We have ordered a diesel, del in Dec...maybe!
Drove a S with Air & PASM on 19" vs Diesel on 21" and 20".
I reckon that the D felt just as quick, in fact more effortless.
I didn't order air, a $8000 option, as on 21" it rode very well; we will get after market 20" Turbo 2.
I only tow motorcycles so the self levelling is not needed , nor the extra height. I will go on gravel roads and to the snow, but neither are extreme.
In the S switching between comfort/norm/sport showed not much in it when comparing Comfort vs Normal. For us not worth the cash outlay, better spent on everyday options.

The diesel drives really well. The 2013 model has a lighter engine [~25kg] and is more responsive. I certainly felt it was really good, quick, responsive, quiet.
I wasn't impressed with the S as much as the diesel.

The steering wheel has two shift buttons at each thumb position. The shift is brilliant, smooth as. The Aust version gets the stop/start. It shudders a bit when stopping and starting, but I loved the quiet at lights. As quiet and smooth the diesel is, its great when it turns off. Also with the window open it was quite quiet, no big rattlefest!
We have and 03 E53 4.4 X5, the Cayenne makes it feel like a truck.

We also drove a Range Rover TDV8 4.4, but was just too cumbersome. It rolls around and after the Cayenne was really showing its age. The new L405 is mean't to be 400+kg lighter, so it should be a big improvement. If we had 3 kids the RR or D4 would be a no brainner, lucky we stopped at 2!! I am a big RR fan, so I was really hoping for it to be better.

Our spec is White [Sand White NLA]
14 way comfort seats, Black [IMO the tan reflects too much on the screen] This seat pack sets seats, mirrors and even radio to each keys preferences, great option.
Bose Surrond
Tow pack
Black Roof rails [only available as a factory option]
monochrome black ext
4 way air
load management in the cargo area
Black Bi xenons PDLS
Lane change assist
Panoramic sun roof
Heated front seats
Aust cars come with rear camera, rear air bags and power hatch as std now.Includes Nav, bluetooth phone etc. 100lt tank. [I think I will enjoy the economy!] 2013 models all get a clock in the centre of the dash, MF steering wheel.

We are now thinking of adding voice control as well.

While I would prefer a full size spare tyre, at least its a space saver, I hate run flats! We can travel big distances here and you would not get RFlats in a country town.

One dealer said don't buy the keyless, some issues and if you put it in the centre console the signal can effect the computers under the centre console! I don't like the idea of leaving the car running and walking away with the key. My friends with an X6 have experienced this a few times.

I really felt that this is a car I would go for a Sunday drive in the hills in, something the X5 has never inspired me to. I wish we had it now for our snow season trips, hopefully patience is a virtue!

Last edited by blazing928; 07-22-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:53 AM
jerry joseph
Pro

Originally Posted by blazing928
We have ordered a diesel, del in Dec...maybe!
Drove a S with Air & PASM on 19" vs Diesel on 21" and 20".
I reckon that the D felt just as quick, in fact more effortless.
I didn't order air, a $8000 option, as on 21" it rode very well; we will get after market 20" Turbo 2.
I only tow motorcycles so the self levelling is not needed , nor the extra height. I will go on gravel roads and to the snow, but neither are extreme.
In the S switching between comfort/norm/sport showed not much in it when comparing Comfort vs Normal. For us not worth the cash outlay, better spent on everyday options.

The diesel drives really well. The 2013 model has a lighter engine [~25kg] and is more responsive. I certainly felt it was really good, quick, responsive, quiet.
I wasn't impressed with the S as much as the diesel.

The steering wheel has two shift buttons at each thumb position. The shift is brilliant, smooth as. The Aust version gets the stop/start. It shudders a bit when stopping and starting, but I loved the quiet at lights. As quiet and smooth the diesel is, its great when it turns off. Also with the window open it was quite quiet, no big rattlefest!
We have and 03 E53 4.4 X5, the Cayenne makes it feel like a truck.

We also drove a Range Rover TDV8 4.4, but was just too cumbersome. It rolls around and after the Cayenne was really showing its age. The new L405 is mean't to be 400+kg lighter, so it should be a big improvement. If we had 3 kids the RR or D4 would be a no brainner, lucky we stopped at 2!! I am a big RR fan, so I was really hoping for it to be better.

Our spec is White [Sand White NLA]
14 way comfort seats, Black [IMO the tan reflects too much on the screen] This seat pack sets seats, mirrors and even radio to each keys preferences, great option.
Bose Surrond
Tow pack
Black Roof rails [only available as a factory option]
monochrome black ext
4 way air
load management in the cargo area
Black Bi xenons PDLS
Lane change assist
Panoramic sun roof
Heated front seats
Aust cars come with rear camera, rear air bags and power hatch as std now.Includes Nav, bluetooth phone etc. 100lt tank. [I think I will enjoy the economy!] 2013 models all get a clock in the centre of the dash, MF steering wheel.

We are now thinking of adding voice control as well.

While I would prefer a full size spare tyre, at least its a space saver, I hate run flats! We can travel big distances here and you would not get RFlats in a country town.

One dealer said don't buy the keyless, some issues and if you put it in the centre console the signal can effect the computers under the centre console! I don't like the idea of leaving the car running and walking away with the key. My friends with an X6 have experienced this a few times.

I really felt that this is a car I would go for a Sunday drive in the hills in, something the X5 has never inspired me to. I wish we had it now for our snow season trips, hopefully patience is a virtue!
Great review/comparison,thanks for the detailed explanations
Lovely description,I can totally picture you trailing your awesome bikes and the blast you are having
It was a nice touch to bring in the RR to the compare,as I was a big RR enthusiast when living in Europe back in the day(is was such a hoot to feel that V8 with the 5sp MT)In those days,the RR ruled and was one of the coolest rides to have
Hence the Porsche genius in taking it to the next level with the Cayenne
Happy trails to you and your family
Old 07-22-2012, 12:10 PM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jerry,
I really really wanted a RR, grey with tan interior....

Re the TDV8 Cayenne, the rumour is that its running in Europe, but no date for release.
I thought that the twin turbo Audi V6 diesel didn't fit into the Cayenne or Pannamera.
In my mind you but the diesel or the TT, but we just wouldn't spend that many $s on a car.
Lots of ski trips to Colorado in the difference.!!
Whats amazing here is how the diesels are holding their value. In a few years we will re look at the new RR, and the Cayenne up date is coming 2015.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Tex94
Instructor

Great build. I have voice control and can definitely recommend it. I'll be the first to admit that the PCM is good enough that you can get away without it but I love using it for calls or switching audio sources or even entering navigation addresses. I'd definitely order again.

Am also a fan of keyless entry but it isn't strictly necessary either. Haven't had the problems you mention and it is great when your hands are full to not have to root around in a pocket for a key.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Any idea when the diesels will actually be delivered? Last I heard, mine was build 7/9, so the dealer believes sometime in mid August is reasonable (east coast delivery). The reason why I am asking is because I read somewhere that they are "holding" deliveries until mid-September until the official launch? Curious what you all have heard.

My build:
White
Black interior
Premium Plus
Bose upgrade
Panoramic Roof
Roof Transport System
Trailer Hitch
Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

damm Porsche give me the ****s!

I was looking at the official Porsche web site and now see that Digital radio [DAB+ in OZ] is now an option available 11/2012. along with a 'Juke Box' style HD drive for music, an internet connection via the smart phone, Bi Xenon PDLS Plus, some Speed limit screen and a few others.

I had specifically asked about digital radio, as I use a Pure Highway one in the X5 [radio is failing...] and the salesman didn't know! I am a bit surprised that 3 weeks later its listed as an option.
I like the extra stations [ABC Jazz] and the much improved sound quality. The wife would really like the Juke Box.
I presume that the internet screen would only work when stopped, the car needs the Dual View screen the RR has; now thats a brillant screen.

In fact I said to 'the wife' that all the dash dials would be much better as TFT screens, then you could have the speedo in front, perhaps the screens could switch around depending on the circumstance; eg. Speedo, then NAV for the upcoming turn , switch to REVs when the car realises that your are redlining it to get past the orange light and back to speedo when you hit the brakes!

As our unconfirmed build date has already been delayed until October some time, I now will wait til I can get the digital radio option. Still no reply as to the price. drat drat and double drat, but at least I get Digital radio!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:42 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you just designed the next Kia !

Quick Reply: Ordered 2013 Cayenne Diesel