Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your experience going from Audi S4 (B5) to Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:13 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well .... a lot of people don't find the back seats very comfortable. The way the back cargo area is designed many things don't fit - it does not have the space of a Ford Explorer. The design of the folding seats is as bad as it gets -- I think Porsche designed the thing and then someone actually drove another SUV and found out that the rear seats have to fold.

I never said I don't like it -- I said its not all that practical.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For me,being as big and unstable as a Ford Explorer is less practical. The Foed Exploder has been pushing the outer limits of size for a mid size SUV for the last few years. Nearly a full size at this point. A big back seat does not define a good SUV to me.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the relationship between Audi S4 and Cayenne? Why are S4 owners upgrading specifically to Cayenne?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Cole
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by steph280
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the relationship between Audi S4 and Cayenne? Why are S4 owners upgrading specifically to Cayenne?

It's more specifically B5 S4 owners that seem to step over to the CTT.

The B5 is a twin turbo V6 AWD, that can be a sleeper from hell. Really easy to get 500+ hp out of them and not uncommon to see 10-11 second full street legal cars. (and came in Avant.."wagon"..form)

....but.......they are also a bit of a maintenance nightmare. The engine has to come out for everything....

The CTT is a pretty compelling change. Twin turbo V8, AWD with the torque split of the European only RS4 Avant. 450-500hp in stock form, and is already a "wagon".

I've raced and taught racing for decades and honestly my CTT in stock for has a better weight distribution and handling than my very well suspended B5 S4 did.

The CTT stock, is kinda what every B5 S4 owner was trying to build. They all wanted the Avant, 500hp, better brakes, better handling, more reliable,
Old 12-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Cole
Drifting

.....I've been waiting for more boost junky B5 owners to make the transition. Can't wait till some of the insanity really starts on modding the first and second gen Cayennes not that the price is in the range of the mod junkies.

....who will be them first one with a 1500hp stroker CTT?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Cole
Drifting

Some video fun. All modified of course, but very easy to get big power out of these cars.

Last edited by Cole; 12-08-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cole
It's more specifically B5 S4 owners that seem to step over to the CTT.

The B5 is a twin turbo V6 AWD, that can be a sleeper from hell. Really easy to get 500+ hp out of them and not uncommon to see 10-11 second full street legal cars. (and came in Avant.."wagon"..form)

....but.......they are also a bit of a maintenance nightmare. The engine has to come out for everything....

The CTT is a pretty compelling change. Twin turbo V8, AWD with the torque split of the European only RS4 Avant. 450-500hp in stock form, and is already a "wagon".

I've raced and taught racing for decades and honestly my CTT in stock for has a better weight distribution and handling than my very well suspended B5 S4 did.

The CTT stock, is kinda what every B5 S4 owner was trying to build. They all wanted the Avant, 500hp, better brakes, better handling, more reliable,
Cole, I am the OP. Appreciate your elegant explanation of the B5 to Cayenne phenomenon. You make a compelling case for the CTT. The Cayenne I am looking at is an '08 GTS (no pdcc, but CPO). An '06 CTT would be in my budget but a newer one, not. Assuming I am not going to mod the CTT, and as between the GTS and '06 CTT, which would you favor as a daily driver? I am more about car handling/feel than raw power/speed). Please consider I am in snow for 5-6 months (CTT too much power for snow control?) and I develop long term relationships with my cars (B5 S4 - 249K mi, B5 A4 150K mi).
Much obliged,
David
Old 12-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Cole
Drifting

Keep in mind that the 08-10 Cayennes are mostly just a facelift and direct injection.

I personally would prefer the older turbo. More basic features are included that have to be added to the GTS. Standard air suspension and ride quality control with that. Nice in the snow. Sometimes its the little things you miss when comparing the GTS, s, Turbo. Make sure to understand some of the option codes.

When I was shopping I woud take a picture of the option code sticker in under the rear floor area next to the spare tire. The go onto sites like renntech and run all the codes to see what each car really had or didn't have. Don't expect the sales guy to know, these cars were all "a-la-carte" so just because it has one option does not mean it has another.

I'd also download read through an owners manual, it will let in in on a billion little options you did not even know existed. Which is nice to know when looking at them. Used car dealers list them all at "loaded". They have no idea what they are looking at.

Think the Turbo has better mileage potential than the GTS. The GTS runs a bit closer to the limit to get 405hp from the 4.8l So it sucks more fuel all the time. The 4.5l V8, while not optimized with DFI, still only really needs to suck on the fuel while on boost. No if you were comparing DFI turbo to normal fuel injected turbo the newer one gets a bit better mileage.

Boost in the turbo is SMOOOOOOTH......but violent in a good way! I drive mine up skiing 40+ times a year and have no issue in the snow.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

.....by the way the "rest" button is the best thing ever for running errands on a cold and snowy.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Cole -- I'm not sure why you take everything so personally. This is not a contest to be right or wrong.

My point in all of this: With the popularity of SUV's almost everybody has owned one -- now you are not going to see a Rav4 and think it has the same space an an Expedition. You may have owned an Explorer and the Porsche is the same basic size -- but it does not have the same interior space.

People get excited ... then disappointed .......... I know many people who love the Cayenne but are disappointed in some of the design as it pertains to being an SUV. That all I was trying to convey.

To the OP -- I also liked the TT over the GTS. You need to drive them.

I purchased my CS new and it has plenty of power. I loved the TT's power but was not going to spend the extra money. I was getting rid of a supercharged RR and I did not want the air suspension problems. I use mine to get to my out of the way vacation places and I did not want the hassle.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Cole
Drifting

I didn't take anything personally. (sorry if it came across that way) Forums are a place to discuss varying opinions. I just think the Cayenne is a wonderfully practical vehicle, more so than any other SUV I have owned.

Porsche actually put some thought into the real needs, not the generally accepted norms.

Sure, the back seat is a bit of a pain to put down and is not as large as other larger SUVs. But it sure does everything else better.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:28 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

I went from a B5 S4 to an RS4 to a new Cayenne S. Don't miss the B5 at all, sometimes I miss the RS4, but not as often as I thought I would.

Prior to my Cayenne I owned three Audis. I would probably revert to Audi if we have a 3rd child and really need the third row seat that the Q7 offers.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Cole and Yeldogt, is it too much of a simplification to say that the '08 GTS and '06 CTT are essentially the same car, in un-optioned form except for the engine difference and new cosmetics. A simple yes or no is too simplified an answer for me. For example, did the CTT have, as standard equipment, a suspension managemntssystem that the GTS does not (by the way, the GTS I am looking at does have the suspension control, but no pdcc).
Thanks
David
Old 12-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Cole
Drifting

My understanding is that anything you can get on a GTS you can get on a turbo with the exception of the manual transmission and steel spring suspension. The reverse is not true. Turbos have options not available on a GTS.

Keep in mind that the Turbo is higher up Porsches food chain. The GTS was designed to fit between the S and Turbo.

Now, the GTS, "usually" comes with certain options that you don't "usually" see on the turbo. But.......those options also appear on the Turbo if it was optioned that way. That is why knowing the codes is a good thing.

"Generally" the GTS will have the body kit, 10mm lower air suspension control module, sport seats, two tone interior, fancy colors, all of which I think can be optioned onto the CTT.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by Deliberate1
I am more about car handling/feel than raw power/speed).
David
FWIW, here is a video of my 04 CTT doing a Porsche club autocross. You can see in the video there was no opportunity to use the power, it was all about handling. No pdcc, no PSM on, just driving.

I was running "All seasons" and beat 27 of the 49 "Proper Porsches" at the event.

Quick Reply: Your experience going from Audi S4 (B5) to Cayenne?