Sponsored by:

What a difference two weeks makes - V6 to Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Gateway drug?......no idea what you are talking about"

Then the term "Addict" must mean something quite different here - maybe DENIAL.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

TURBO :-)
Old 11-28-2011, 06:38 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

With the CPO I guess the Pano roof would not be a problem-I know that one got sold-but I have the similar roof on my A-3 and would shy away from any Pano type roof in the future. My $.03 ! More expense up front and more rattles in the future.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:26 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This same question pops up every 6 months, and I've probably come up with a new analogy each time. You're asking whether it's better to get the house actually on the beach, or the house two blocks from the beach. Both will get the same salt-air corrosion of everything metal or wood, and both will get equally sacked in a hurricane; I suppose the house on the beach runs the risk of a boat crashing in, or a tsunami wave, or a whale rotting in your sand yard; but the sunsets from your bedroom, and living room, and bathroom, and kitchen, and deck... etc... are beyond comparison. Which is why that house is usually double the cost of the other.

But your situation is even simpler: asking about the house on the beach which essentially costs the same as the house two blocks in, with a view of the neighbor's house.

(BTW, the V-6 is the house two hours in, with a picture of the beach hanging on the wall... )
Old 11-28-2011, 09:08 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

A B5 survivor here, too..... MY00 Audi S4.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Originally Posted by seankrider
This same question pops up every 6 months, and I've probably come up with a new analogy each time. You're asking whether it's better to get the house actually on the beach, or the house two blocks from the beach. Both will get the same salt-air corrosion of everything metal or wood, and both will get equally sacked in a hurricane; I suppose the house on the beach runs the risk of a boat crashing in, or a tsunami wave, or a whale rotting in your sand yard; but the sunsets from your bedroom, and living room, and bathroom, and kitchen, and deck... etc... are beyond comparison. Which is why that house is usually double the cost of the other.

But your situation is even simpler: asking about the house on the beach which essentially costs the same as the house two blocks in, with a view of the neighbor's house.

(BTW, the V-6 is the house two hours in, with a picture of the beach hanging on the wall... )
That is some analogy.
Nicely crafted though and prescient. My house actually sits on a couple hundred feet of Maine's chunk of the Atlantic. And no view of the neighbors
Old 11-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scott C
A B5 survivor here, too..... MY00 Audi S4.
How many miles?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Originally Posted by pdxjim
With the CPO I guess the Pano roof would not be a problem-I know that one got sold-but I have the similar roof on my A-3 and would shy away from any Pano type roof in the future. My $.03 ! More expense up front and more rattles in the future.
Thanks for that. I am not a great fan of roof holes, especially in a roll over.
Pano = paino
Old 12-01-2011, 04:58 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Ha! Another stage 3 B5 S4 here - 360awhp/ 385 awtq. DD w/ 135K and 30 track days - needs widebody for more rubber at the track.

Naturally I have to weigh in for a GTS since you're looking for a manual. Amazing vehicles w/o the turbo maintenance - from what I've read/ heard. Although coming from the S4 I do miss the massive torque down low a CTT would deliver.

I'd skip the S as others have noted the air suspension on the turbo is a big plus - I know because the GTS also has air suspension.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by GTS 6 spd
Naturally I have to weigh in for a GTS since you're looking for a manual. Amazing vehicles w/o the turbo maintenance - .

What "Turbo maintenance " ?

These are not B5 S4s

Th turbos don't go out. I've not read of a single failure. They maint is the same as the V8-S.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:01 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Deliberate1
How many miles?

Sold it at 80k miles.... 5k miles after replacing the turbos (under extended warranty)

Great car... Crappy turbos and tight packaging.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:08 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I like the beach analogy.
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Cole: Th turbos don't go out. I've not read of a single failure. They maint is the same as the V8-S.

Lack of failures is impressive given some owners probably are not turbo friendly in their driving habits.

Simply passing along what I've read about the turbos consuming oil, as well as leaking. Dealer SA also said they burn a lot of oil - quart every 1-1500 miles. I'm sure some have better experiences, it's the bad examples that grab the attention.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oil consumption is actually in the owners manual. Not a fault, part of the design
Old 12-01-2011, 09:22 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Originally Posted by GTS 6 spd
Cole: Th turbos don't go out. I've not read of a single failure. They maint is the same as the V8-S.

Lack of failures is impressive given some owners probably are not turbo friendly in their driving habits.

Simply passing along what I've read about the turbos consuming oil, as well as leaking. Dealer SA also said they burn a lot of oil - quart every 1-1500 miles. I'm sure some have better experiences, it's the bad examples that grab the attention.
2 quarts in my first 4000 of mostly very spirited European driving...driving it like I stole from day one(175 with just 500 on it on the way back to Berlin after my Porsche driving school week-end)
Purrs like a kitten..though with my Tubi,its more like a seriously pissed off biggg dog about to fight some angry cougars
Got to give big time thanks to Leipzig for making it so easily and safely possible to go so ridiculously fast
Never even an inkling of a problem ,performed flawlessly..and needless to say,those ceramics came in handy and are worth EVERY penny
Being turbo friendly is letting the biatch huff n puff,strutting her stuff like she was meant to
Ps:don't try this at home

Quick Reply: What a difference two weeks makes - V6 to Turbo