Sponsored by:

Cayenne S vs. Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 PM
bfrank
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne S vs. Range Rover Sport Supercharged

On verge of buying new SUV. Drove 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged and loved it. Drove 2011 Cayenne Turbo and loved it but can even think about affording it. Drove Cayenne Hybrid and can't explain it but didn't care for it at all. Driving two hours away tomorrow to drive Cayenne S. Anybody compared both and have any thoughts? RR comes with a lot more options for the same price.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2005 Range Rover that I bought new. I love that truck and I will have it forever
(unless they design a new more beautiful one !! lol)

The Cayenne is a bit of an ugly duckling IMO, the RR is a classic design, the 911 of SUV's

I actually use my Rover off road and I love tha fact that it will perform off road then run 90mph all day long while my family nap comfortably
Attached Images   
Old 11-21-2011, 10:38 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

"The Cayenne is a bit of an ugly duckling IMO, the RR is a classic design, the 911 of SUV's"

No No No say it aint so
Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudman2
"The Cayenne is a bit of an ugly duckling IMO, the RR is a classic design, the 911 of SUV's"

No No No say it aint so
LMAO......

Com'on you must admit

The RR is "THE Classic" suv, just as the 911 is "THE Classic" sports car
Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too am struggling with this same decision. I agree that the supercharged RR sport is a very nice drive and comes with all the bells and whistles. Every time I run through the Porsche car configurator, the RR comes out cheaper.

I'm still leaning Porsche. I've driven the '11 S and TT and both have plenty of power. I currently drive an '08 CS and it is more than enough oomph for every day driving. My other car is an '07 GT3RS, so when I need grins I give it a spin. The V8 Cayenne has good low end torque,making it very fun to drive around town. Love the aggressive looks of the TT. I really want PDCC and PTV for the windy mountain roads in my area. Loading up a CS with sport options seems like a losing proposition on resale. I keep trying to talk myself into the TT with Sport package, but its hard to spend that much money on the car my kids and I beat up everyday. My wife keeps telling me to get the Turbo and be done with it.

RR reliability is still suspect. Back seat space is pretty tight. Reviews of nav system are poor. Gas mileage worse than pig.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:48 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Go used? CPO ?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:15 AM
jerry joseph
Pro

Originally Posted by Ish993
LMAO......

Com'on you must admit

The RR is "THE Classic" suv, just as the 911 is "THE Classic" sports car
Good point and kudos to the classic RR design.
It has graced us with its august presence for about as long
I had the pleasure of owning one in the mid 80's when I lived in Europe,and back then..nothing even came close
You could drive anywhere,over any terrain,in grand style...and out accelerate most cars on the road
Awesome memories
Though in all fairness,that was then...
Could not even imagine driving 150+ in a RR
Ps:thank you Porsche

Last edited by jerry joseph; 11-22-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

+1 for RR. There is one in my future for sure. I have an LR3 which I love. I almost bought the RR (my favorite interior of any SUV) but I went for the slightly more utilitarian interior and larger size of the LR3. It's big with 7 passenger seating, can go anywhere and feels really solid. Interior quality/durability has been great. As far as reliability is concerned, looking at some of the threads on this forum, I would almost say my truck has had way fewer issues. Gas mileage is prob the only neg.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't talk too much abou current models, but when I was looking I took out a 2010 RRS Super and thought this is nice, and made an offer.....2 days later I drove the GTS and thought WTF! What was I thinking about?

Originally Posted by Franklin229
...can go anywhere ...
Round here the Discovery and its LR derivatives are known as "Sand Submarines", I can't think why!

Old 11-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mcbit
I can't talk too much abou current models, but when I was looking I took out a 2010 RRS Super and thought this is nice, and made an offer.....2 days later I drove the GTS and thought WTF! What was I thinking about?
+1. Mc, were you spying on me?
A truly difficult position to be in as I talk from experience. It all comes down to if you're buying one or leasing. If you plan to buy and keep the vehicle for a few more years, do yourself a big favor and steer clear of the Range. The Cayenne is still a better bet and a better investment at that.

But gawd, does that supercharger ever haul a**!!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heresy, I know. But a few months back the GF was really, really looking hard the supercharged RRS, and I've got to say it was altogether impressive: stunning interior, ridiculously fast, an absolute beast in terms of off-road/40-degree angle craziness, the nicest looking SUV on any road, and relatively cheap.

On the other side of the ledger, it's ridiculously heavy (i.e., thirsty), and seems to have haunting reliability issues (ironic, coming from a serial Cayenne Bitcher).

Just me, but for the price differential I'd probably lean toward RR!

(waiting for imminent ban...)
Old 11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
930robb
Rennlist Member

My son bought a Supercharged Range Rover and it was a total POS and sold it aftera year. It lived in the shop most of the time. Rode like a 1 ton pick up and the seats were hard as a rock. Won't compare to a Turbo S but it is also a lot less money. Just my opinion
Old 11-24-2011, 03:01 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Reliability comes up with Rovers. After ignoring poor reliability reputations on other cars I've concluded that it's not the major problems that get to me. The worst part are the small issues that the dealer can't seem to resolve after more than two tries. 2004 Discovery had some suspension warning that randomly popped up. 2008 MB GL450 kept giving the wrong fuel level and stranded us on the freeway once. 2010 VW Routan electric sliding doors and hatch can't be fixed after multiple attempts. My 2008 Cayman had a couple issues and only one with my 2011 Cayenne, but the issues were fixed the first time . . . while I had a Boxster or Panamera loaner!

I still want a full size Range Rover though. I've always loved Rovers and sitting in one at the SF car show got me all excited for one again. I guess I'm about ready to gamble again. One thing on the RR Sport, always loved the exterior but always thought the interior was too cramped.

Last edited by daddyscar; 11-24-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:27 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I to like the looks of the RRS, as I do all the CTT models. That being said relaiblilty is still an issue with the RR (that is pretty much documented), and I personally like the ride of the Cayennes better.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:39 PM
kev_song
Instructor

I own both a 2011 S and 2010 RRS. I like both, here is my take. I like the looks of the RRS better than the Cayenne. Both are great on long trips, the cabins are very quiet and the Cayenne is more comfortable . The RRS has better cargo room, the S has better back seat leg room.The S gets far better gas milage that the RRS...look to get around 12mpg in mixed driving in the RRS. The Cayenne has a better electronics. I can tell you that RRS has lots of little software issues. I think the software engineers in the UK spend a little too much time in the pub and not enough working out the bugs. The way information is displayed is better in the Cayenne. While the Cayenne has 5 million buttons in the center stack, my wife find it easier to find and operate the controls, she hates the RRS because its not as easy. In terms of performance....the S handles better and is faster that the RRS, especially in the turns. I had a 2006 RRS before getting a 2010. I will say that mechanically LR has gotten a lot better. My 06 was at the dealer every 3 months for something, my 2010 which is now 2+ years old has been in once for a stuck brake caliper and scheduled maintenance but nothing more. Both handle well in the snow, the RRS is almost unstoppable with snow tires.

Both are great choices, I'm sure you'll love what ever you decide to get. But if you decide to get a RRS, make sure it under warrantee and stick with a 2010 model or newer.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S vs. Range Rover Sport Supercharged