Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne S vs. Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 05:48 PM
kw911TT
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too love the RRS in term of useablity & owned a few in the past. But opposit from your view, I see the RRS as very boxy and un-inspired. I like the new 958's curve and line, reminds me of a shark
Old 11-24-2011, 06:23 PM
bfrank
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kev_song
I own both a 2011 S and 2010 RRS. I like both, here is my take. I like the looks of the RRS better than the Cayenne. Both are great on long trips, the cabins are very quiet and the Cayenne is more comfortable . The RRS has better cargo room, the S has better back seat leg room.The S gets far better gas milage that the RRS...look to get around 12mpg in mixed driving in the RRS. The Cayenne has a better electronics. I can tell you that RRS has lots of little software issues. I think the software engineers in the UK spend a little too much time in the pub and not enough working out the bugs. The way information is displayed is better in the Cayenne. While the Cayenne has 5 million buttons in the center stack, my wife find it easier to find and operate the controls, she hates the RRS because its not as easy. In terms of performance....the S handles better and is faster that the RRS, especially in the turns. I had a 2006 RRS before getting a 2010. I will say that mechanically LR has gotten a lot better. My 06 was at the dealer every 3 months for something, my 2010 which is now 2+ years old has been in once for a stuck brake caliper and scheduled maintenance but nothing more. Both handle well in the snow, the RRS is almost unstoppable with snow tires.

Both are great choices, I'm sure you'll love what ever you decide to get. But if you decide to get a RRS, make sure it under warrantee and stick with a 2010 model or newer.
I started this thread and I'm still struggling to make a decision with the clock ticking. I drove the RRS a week ago and was blown away by it's power. Even the X5 diesel I drove this week had more torque and more feeling of power than Cayenne S. I still prefer the interior, electronics, and handling of the Cayenne. I way prefer the gas mileage. Just not sure if the power is enough to justify the price (which optioned like I have it is almost identical). I have not found any city that has both trucks for sale so I can't do a closer comparison. Do you feel like you're driving a powerful car when driving the CS? I know this is a vague, subjective question. Also, this is a question for anybody, what is your perception of the public's perception of these cars? I am a very low key guy who likes very non-low key cars. Do you think either is more or less flashy than the other? Why don't I get that surge of power feeling from the CS despite nearly identical 0-60 times? All about torque? Please don't mention Cayenne Turbo as an option as that is out of my league (would have said budget but not sure that word applies to any of these cars). Thanks.

PS I'm currently in Scottsdale on vacation. Anybody here have a Cayenne S I can drive? One of the country's largest Porsche dealers is here and they have zero Cayenne S's.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:28 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A good fast car (Porsche) never actually feels fast until you look at the speedo. The S goes fast with ease and no fuss, the RRS is a lot of noise with little result
Old 11-24-2011, 06:30 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrank
Also, this is a question for anybody, what is your perception of the public's perception of these cars? I am a very low key guy who likes very non-low key cars. Do you think either is more or less flashy than the other?
RRS is the most beautiful SUV out there. Period. And between the two, it will also be the low key one (simply because it doesn't have "Porsche" on it).
Old 11-24-2011, 06:34 PM
bfrank
Intermediate

Thanks for both replies so quickly. Seems like a lot of the fun of having a fast car is the thrill of getting up to speed. I agree once at speed you want it to feel smooth.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:49 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Btw, if you do go with a RR, just be careful taking onto those S P!Gs. I've had one for almost 5 years and speak from experience. Never had a problem leaving a RR behind. Far, far behind....
Old 11-24-2011, 06:56 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
RRS is the most beautiful SUV out there. Period. And between the two, it will also be the low key one (simply because it doesn't have "Porsche" on it).
Btw, if you do go with a RR, just be careful taking onto those S P!Gs. I've had one for almost 5 years and speak from experience. Never had a problem leaving a RR behind. Far, far behind....

So you bought yours because it's uglier, has Porsche on it and you can outrun 10 year old 911s in 60mph limit zones.
Right?

Btw RR are excellent but sometimes do burn oil..
Old 11-24-2011, 07:02 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Yup.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:16 PM
bfrank
Intermediate

Since several people have mentioned they've owned or experienced both cars I'm curious to know what you think of the gadgets in each. The nav/display in Cayenne is beautiful. Any experience with nav or upgraded stereo in RR? I know it's not as pretty but function is important.

I don't plan on racing anybody. Given the numbers I'm seen I find it hard to believe that a Cayenne S is faster than a RR Sport Supercharged.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:24 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I replied back on RRnet.
The RRS S\C feels like it has more power because it has so much more torque as soon as you breathe on the throttle. The CS comes into its own with the horsepower advantage higher-up in the rev range. Anything over 5K rpms in the sport is strained. Americans buy horsepower, but drive torque.

As far as realiability, my '08 RRS S\C and '08 FFRR have been far more reliable than my '07 Cayman and '09 GTS. I sold the Cayman with quite a few a unresolved issues that the dealer said were "operating as designed" - hatch thunk, banging in the front suspension, a side window that vibrates with over 5K on the tach. The '08 FFRR has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned.

As a rule - never buy a pre-'06 Land Rover, and wait at least 2 years after a major model change. My mother in law's 2010 FFRR has had numerous major electrical problems; albeit they give her a '11 XJL as a loaner. In my experience, Land Rover has been very good at ackowledging and fixing problems while under warranty. Porsche dealers have been great, but Porsche USA has been astoundingly remiss.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:34 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

"I don't plan on racing anybody. Given the numbers I'm seen I find it hard to believe that a Cayenne S is faster than a RR Sport Supercharged"

Don't believe all you read, I don't think an S would ever have trouble with an RRS, its a big slab
Old 11-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's fit for the Queen of England....."The best 4 x 4 x far".
Old 11-24-2011, 07:38 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I thought you had ditched her Frenchy
Old 11-24-2011, 07:40 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Since several people have mentioned they've owned or experienced both cars I'm curious to know what you think of the gadgets in each. The nav/display in Cayenne is beautiful. Any experience with nav or upgraded stereo in RR? I know it's not as pretty but function is important.

I don't plan on racing anybody. Given the numbers I'm seen I find it hard to believe that a Cayenne S is faster than a RR Sport Supercharged.
Dude, I think it's obvious you need to go for the RRSS. Gadgets alone wouldn't justify getting the P!G, from everything you've written.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:50 PM
kev_song
Instructor

I started this thread and I'm still struggling to make a decision with the clock ticking. I drove the RRS a week ago and was blown away by it's power. Even the X5 diesel I drove this week had more torque and more feeling of power than Cayenne S. I still prefer the interior, electronics, and handling of the Cayenne. I way prefer the gas mileage. Just not sure if the power is enough to justify the price (which optioned like I have it is almost identical). I have not found any city that has both trucks for sale so I can't do a closer comparison. Do you feel like you're driving a powerful car when driving the CS? I know this is a vague, subjective question. Also, this is a question for anybody, what is your perception of the public's perception of these cars? I am a very low key guy who likes very non-low key cars. Do you think either is more or less flashy than the other? Why don't I get that surge of power feeling from the CS despite nearly identical 0-60 times? All about torque? Please don't mention Cayenne Turbo as an option as that is out of my league (would have said budget but not sure that word applies to any of these cars). Thanks.

PS I'm currently in Scottsdale on vacation. Anybody here have a Cayenne S I can drive? One of the country's largest Porsche dealers is here and they have zero Cayenne S's.
The Cayenne definitely accelerates faster at speed. RRS has more torque on the lower end, but it can't keep up once you are moving, especially in turns. As for public perception, if you want to be low key, buy a Highlander. Most people see the Range Rover badge on the front and think you spent 100K, same with the Porsche. I've had a couple people comment I must be a rich @sshole (far from the truth, about the rich part anyway), and spit on my RRS, but no one has every keyed the car or anything. I do see a ton more Sports on the road than Cayennes. To be honest, I didn;t think about buying a Cayenne until after the design change. I just didn't like the look of the last model, it never grew on me. You asked about using the Nav in the RRS, it blows compared to the Cayenne. The layout is not very good and at least on the 2010 the nav only displays on the screen and not in the instrument cluster. There is no way to use the nav and operate the stereo and have the information displayed for both. Its pretty much a uni tasking system. I hear the 2012 has has the dual view screen and the instrument cluster is all digital like its big brother and that scares me since LR is notorious for electrical glitches. I would probably trade the RRS for another Cayenne, but I like my car payment right now...$0

Quick Reply: Cayenne S vs. Range Rover Sport Supercharged