Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning Regarding Porsche of Annapolis!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 01:59 PM
shark715
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Warning Regarding Porsche of Annapolis!

My wife and I live in North Jersey (200 miles away from this dealer) and were very interested in a Porsche Certified Cayenne GTS because it happened to have the exact options we are looking for. On Wednesday I spoke to their salesperson Scott Evans and his finance manager no less than 5 times about my interest in the car, and even went into detail regarding how we were going to bring the funds to pay for it, and how they would give me a temporary tag to drive the car back to New Jersey. I made an appointment with them for the next morning, gave them my cell number, and they agreed to call me in case anything changed regarding the availability of the truck. They were very aware of the long distance that I was coming to see the truck. We even called again about a hour before we arrived because we were about 30 minutes late due to traffic, and their receptionist told us she would let Scott know we were running late.

When we arrived, I introduced myself to Scott, and he didn’t even seem to remember who we were. I thought he was joking. Then he told us they had already taken a deposit on the truck the day before, and it took a minute before I realized he was serious. He went to his manager’s office to discuss the situation, and after about 10 minutes came back and told us there was nothing he could do, that he had been very busy and forgot to call us, and that he did not receive the message we left with the receptionist.

We were flabbergasted. Even more insulting was that his manager hid in his office and didn’t even come out to apologize to us.

While there was nothing more we could do other than get back in the car and drive home (more than 400 miles/ 8 hours roundtrip), I’m hoping that I can return the favor by letting potential customers of Porsche of Annapolis how they can expect to be treated.

While I can’t fault them for selling the car to the first person that left a deposit (we had not committed to buy the truck), their not calling us and telling us not to make the trip is nothing short of amazing. Once the truck was “taken” and they knew they were not going to sell us a vehicle, my wife and I were not even worth a phone call to them.

I hope you will pass my experience on to anyone who you might know who is thinking of doing business there, thanks.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:35 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry for you about your experience
It's part of why i feel fortunate to have such amazing service at my dealer
Old 11-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Put a craigslist **** site with his # up?
Old 11-19-2011, 06:17 PM
whistle34
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to go to north jersey to buy mine in Linden, same thing get up there and there is a sold sign on it. come to find out the deal fell through, or that's what they told me...all week even the night before it was supposed to be available.

they told me also they would mail me my tags, and they didn't even do that so i had to drive back up there 1.5 hours and pick up tags that they happily put on with their advertisement plate surrounding it, i took out my screw driver took them off right in front of them and told them to F-off!

car salesmen are the absolute worst
Old 11-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

I have a great salesman, Michael Gray, at Sonnen Porsche in Marin and I can't imagine him doing something like that, to anyone. But there's no doubt there are people like you encountered out there, and it's maddening when you run afoul of them. His treatment of you and your wife and the cowardice of the sales manager are unconscionable. My sympathies.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:21 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry about that man.

I think it is just the general car business at work. I do wish the salesman and manager had acted to a higher personal standard. I certainly would not deal with either of them again.

Maybe a call or an email to the dealership General Manger is warranted.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Write Porsche NA, CC the GM of the dealer. If nothing else it will make yuo feel better, they could have at least paid for your gas and bought you lunch.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:25 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really hope PCNA read these forums and see what kind of people work at these dealerships. There are good folks I'd do repeat business with, but some are just not up to the caliber of the cars they are selling.

So sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. Hope you will find another one in no time.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That really stinks, what a disappointment and waste of time. One would expect a better caliber of professionalism at a Porsche dealership.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mistakes happen; as clearly shown in this particular case.

However, the unfortunate part of your ordeal was the sales manager's show of cowardice in not stepping out of his office to apologize. He could have equally fed you a BS story about how overworked they are and that this should never have happened; even offered you a freebie for your troubles. You would probably have been pleased with a response like that.

Do yourself a favor and let this go, otherwise you'll become more miserable as the week goes by.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:55 AM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Flame suit on!

I'm sure some may not agree but I think "you snooze you lose" applies here.
If you went through all that research and discussion before the trip you should have given them a credit card deposit over the phone and locked up the car until you arrived.
Dealerships have several salespeople, any one of which could have fielded a dozen calls about the same vehicle.
They don't exactly share information amongst each other and are often in competitive sales contests to sell cars.
Not to mention the number of callers who say they are coming down to see a vehicle and never show up.
Money talks, the first person to put down a deposit gets the car.
Sorry you went through all that drama and yes, the manager should have at least showed his face but next time use that credit card.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by s4for5
I'm sure some may not agree but I think "you snooze you lose" applies here.
If you went through all that research and discussion before the trip you should have given them a credit card deposit over the phone and locked up the car until you arrived.
Dealerships have several salespeople, any one of which could have fielded a dozen calls about the same vehicle.
They don't exactly share information amongst each other and are often in competitive sales contests to sell cars.
Not to mention the number of callers who say they are coming down to see a vehicle and never show up.
Money talks, the first person to put down a deposit gets the car.
Sorry you went through all that drama and yes, the manager should have at least showed his face but next time use that credit card.

In that regard you are right, I bought my 996 and gave my Amex to hold the car until i got to the porsche dealer but that said, they could have taken 2 minutes to call him! So I still say they could have handled it much better.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Mistakes happen; as clearly shown in this particular case.

However, the unfortunate part of your ordeal was the sales manager's show of cowardice in not stepping out of his office to apologize. He could have equally fed you a BS story about how overworked they are and that this should never have happened; even offered you a freebie for your troubles. You would probably have been pleased with a response like that.
Experienced something like this too though not with a P-car. Now I know to call before I get in the car to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

However, bought a used Tahoe from the DE P-car dealership several years ago, after not receiving the tag for it by the time the temp expired I called the dealership, talked to the salesman who told me the tag was there at the dealership. I asked him to verify as I was leaving and would stop by the dealership to pick it up, he said yes it was there. I get to the dealership but no salesman and no tag, he had left for the DMV to get it. He couldn't understand why I was pissed the next time I saw him.

Yeah Shark, the sales mgr. was a coward.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

As s4for5 said - "money talks" (and BS walks) - a car salesman friend told me this MANY years ago. If I'm pretty certain I'm going to buy a car, pending my inspection - I always put a credit card deposit on it. That deposit is refundable - but is shows I'm serious, and gets the car off the floor and away from other salesmen.

As s4for5 mentioned - there is no honor among car salespeople. They work on commission and get paid on "draw" - if they don't sell cars the "draw" (money they get every week that is credited off commissions from sales) can eat them alive. Car salesmen also have another saying "The buyer is a liar.." since they've heard "I want that car, I'll be down tomorrow" never to see the "customer" way too many times.

It's a rough racket, I wouldn't want any part of it, but I have been pretty good friends with a number of salesmen - and from the high-pressure Toyota dealerships to the Rolls Royce dealerships - certain things are the same.. Money talks (bull**** walks) and the buyer is a liar. Bet it hasn't changed since horse and buggy salesmen..

As far as the sales manager coming out to sympathize (that's all he could do at that point..) Would it really have made you feel better? It might have shown some class if he did, but that's about all it would do.

Another one will come along.. 2nd rule of buying cars - never fall in love with a potential purchase (I break this one all the time, usually to my regret..)
Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 PM
shark715
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think a couple of you missed the point that the salesperson and finance manager knew that we were coming and knew a deposit had been taken on the car, but they couldn't be bothered to call us. This was not something they discovered when we arrived. Again, I don't fault them at all for selling the car, but to not call us is just mindboggling. My wife is so pissed off by the experience that she gave up trying to find the Cayenne she wanted and went and test drove a new X5 with the 400 HP V8, which she claims to like better, and we can order it just the way she wants it. While I like the Cayenne more, it will be her truck so it's her decision.

Quick Reply: Warning Regarding Porsche of Annapolis!