Sponsored by:

New owner wheel/tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner wheel/tire questions

If the ppi this week goes well I should soon have a 2008 base in my garage by the end of next week.
The truck comes with a set of Bridgeston Dueler H/L tires that have 80% tread left. They are on the stock 17" wheels. From what I have read, these are decent warm weather tires. But I need dedicated snow tires for the long Maine winter. I will probably get a set of Pirelli Scorpions or Hak R's which I run on my current Audi S4.
I like the small wheel for winter tires but am wondering if is worth the investment in an 18" wheel for summer purposes. Would the larger size provide any significant performance advantage over the 17" wheel for summer driving pleasure. I have dedicated wheel/tire sets for the S4 and it works very well.
Thanks,
David
Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 985 Posts

I think that a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires is the way to go. I like your idea of keeping the 17s for winter and going to 18s for the summer. I have a similar philosophy, although I go to 18s for winter and 20s for summer. I think in your case, the 18s will look better in the summer and the ride will be a little more firm. As far as overall performance, I doubt you'll see much difference unless you're driving at the limits of the Cayenne's handling...
Old 11-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Dennis, thanks for your quick one. What are you running for snows in Co - got any white stuff yet where you are?
Cheers,
David
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 985 Posts

We've had several major snow storms already. Two were over 14" where I live. I'm heading up to Breckenridge to ski tomorrow, so I should encounter a little more snow up there.

I'm running Michelin Latitude Alpin tires on the Cayenne. They are very good. I run Blizzaks on the C4S, and they are also very good.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Dennis, good for you! I spent some time last April at Breck and A Basin for the first time. Big fun on Whale's Tail and in the Horseshoe Bowl. Make a few turns for me. In Maine it is now raining and in the high 50's - tears of the skiers.
David

Quick Reply: New owner wheel/tire questions