Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird grinding, scraping noise when turning..

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 PM
JoesCayenneS
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird grinding, scraping noise when turning..

Hey guys,

I have about 60k on my 2006 S. its been great for the last 15k miles. Recently I have been hearing a grinding noise (which I can feel in the steering wheel) when going slow, making a right hand turn , with minimal braking. It almost sounds like something is scraping the pavement (sound) , with a slight popping sound. It goes away as soon as I let off the brake or straighten the wheel out. There is no noise a HWY speeds ( around a turn or in a straight line), only when turning into a side street, or parking lot...

I know the brakes are almost shot, but there is no viabration in braking and I have no pad change light warning. Any ideas? CV joint?

Thanks,

Joe
2006 Cayenne S
Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS pump? PS fluid leak? Wheel bearing?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I just brought mine into the dealer today with a blown PS pump. A big pool of PS fluid on the floor, and a crazy grinding noise at slow speed. My extended warranty was up on Nov 2nd. I am trying to get a little good will from Porsche
Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I seem to remember user Scotitude (?) having a similar problem and it being the front diff. ??
I think a P.S. pump problem would show up turning either left or right.

Good luck with it.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:29 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check for bearing play first. sounds more like CV's than bearings. Cv's go crunchy crunchy when loaded. You can hear the CV noise from outside, walk next to the car while your wife or friend turns tight slow circles to isolate which wheel its comin from.
The front diff noise was more of a whine, no crunchy. Diff wear. only way to stop that noise was a new diff as per P tech. Wasnt happnin.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:22 PM
TorontoCorrado
3rd Gear

Scotitude, did you diff also make noise when accelerating from a stop but driving straight (ie: strange moan/whine noise) or only when turning?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I damn thee for making me remember all these bad things, thought I had purged my brain of the p!g repair days. the diff whine was all the time. it was the least of the sounds. the cv crunnchy's were on the turns. dont even get me started on the clunks. pulled my hair out trying to decipher and differentiate all the sounds and repairs. On a nicer note I can tell you I haven't had to repair "the Customer's" car for 13 months now. Ask away of you need any more help.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:56 PM
johnarusso
Advanced

I have a similar problem. It comes and goes, but when it's there it is getting louder. I had always assumed CV joint. Recently I started getting a chirping up to about 15 MPH when it turns into a steady whine. Sounds like it is coming from the same place - hoping it's CV related.

Anybody ever get this resolved?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Frutti_pig
Advanced

Do you get the same noise if you put it into low range??

Quick Reply: Weird grinding, scraping noise when turning..