Sponsored by:

08 TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:48 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Piston slap/ring failure past 80k? I read the thread from Scott... still I wonder... does this happen to ALL V8's (NA and FI)? Should I be paranoid?
By my understanding this is actually extremely rare.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:06 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Piston slap/ring failure past 80k? I read the thread from Scott... still I wonder... does this happen to ALL V8's (NA and FI)? Should I be paranoid?
Honestly, I don't have ANY personal experience here, just what I've read here/online and heard from independent mechanics that I know are competent and have no 'vested' interest. The problem seems to be prevalent enough that Porsche had to issue dealer TSB type 'direction' to their people on how to determine what/if they were liable for repair costs wise and the coatings the factory uses and materials for the cylinder sleeving and piston rings have changed on newer engines as a result .. and that includes all of their model lines .. Turbo's seem to be more susceptible because of the increased temperatures/forces inside those engines and on this forum, I've read theories that ambient environmental temperatures (mountain/snow v.s. coastal/desert) and conditions might be a factor .. Not knowing the actual numbers of failures, and I'm sure Porsche wouldn't give out that information readily .. , it's very difficult to say what the percentage of engines experience this are .. and if the second generation 4.8V8 from '08 and on really is still a 'problem' ... I do know of a few 997, Cayman and next gen Boxster engines that have failed due to soft cylinder sleeves ... but again, the percentage is unknown to me.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:28 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPP
Honestly, I don't have ANY personal experience here, just what I've read here/online and heard from independent mechanics that I know are competent and have no 'vested' interest. The problem seems to be prevalent enough that Porsche had to issue dealer TSB type 'direction' to their people on how to determine what/if they were liable for repair costs wise and the coatings the factory uses and materials for the cylinder sleeving and piston rings have changed on newer engines as a result .. and that includes all of their model lines .. Turbo's seem to be more susceptible because of the increased temperatures/forces inside those engines and on this forum, I've read theories that ambient environmental temperatures (mountain/snow v.s. coastal/desert) and conditions might be a factor .. Not knowing the actual numbers of failures, and I'm sure Porsche wouldn't give out that information readily .. , it's very difficult to say what the percentage of engines experience this are .. and if the second generation 4.8V8 from '08 and on really is still a 'problem' ... I do know of a few 997, Cayman and next gen Boxster engines that have failed due to soft cylinder sleeves ... but again, the percentage is unknown to me.
I know of the M96 soft cylinder sleeves. LN Engineering seems to have a good solution with their nickies sleeves. It would be interesting to know if LN or another company are working on similar re-sleeving for the V8 motors - it could be a good (if not superior) alternative to an entire short block.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:47 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

I know of the M96 soft cylinder sleeves. LN Engineering seems to have a good solution with their nickies sleeves. It would be interesting to know if LN or another company are working on similar re-sleeving for the V8 motors - it could be a good (if not superior) alternative to an entire short block.
There is mucho discussion on this here ... I was referred to an offsite German company on this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=66492
I am the last post .. but the link is one or two posts before me. Interesting information but inconclusive really ..
Old 11-07-2011, 01:48 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Engine sounds great, plenty of power. No extraneous noises, and little or no oil between changes. Computer tells me to change more frequently now.

Tx is good but it's an 05, was swapped early under warranty . Some noise from transfer case and front diff was resolved by dealer tighning up and changing oil

Apart from brakes/ rotors / tires it's trouble free, the person who gets it is in for a treat. Coils.coolant pipes,Carden shaft, both front air struts, compressor all taken care of. By tomorrow right fuel pump and next weekend left fuel pump

Insanity rules

I love this car, fits me like glove
Old 11-07-2011, 01:54 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

You know that you don't have to actually own a Cayenne to be a moderator here.
Right?

Just saying..
Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

How dare you suggest that I desert the ship when there's still a little buoyancy left
Old 11-07-2011, 01:57 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

lol
Old 11-07-2011, 02:09 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
You know that you don't have to actually own a Cayenne to be a moderator here.
Right?

Just saying..
Originally Posted by mudman2
How dare you suggest that I desert the ship when there's still a little buoyancy left
Uh ... on THIS forum? I think a newbie-poseur like me can get away with it ... at least for a little while but only under the 'I'm still searching for one to buy ...' ruse. But a moderator? Lewis/Larry and his widow withstanding for obvious reasons, of course.

I still say you've pretty much 'beat the house' here with 129K miles. Is there anyone else on the forum with higher mileage that's only replaced the 'usual suspects'? ....
Old 11-07-2011, 02:14 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

It's sad when 129k is considered "high mileage" for a modern motor. My old M113 V8 motor in my E430 has 187k and still idles smooth and runs strong. (Sorry for going off topic)
Old 11-07-2011, 02:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

There are people out there over 250k bless em
Old 11-07-2011, 02:16 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

It's sad when 129k is considered "high mileage" for a modern motor. My old M113 V8 motor in my E430 has 187k and still idles smooth and runs strong. (Sorry for going off topic)
Yes ... but does it blow your skirt up like your CT?? Just sayin' ...
Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by JPP
Yes ... but does it blow your skirt up like your CT?? Just sayin' ...

I think a 957 CTT would be perfect, esp. if they have "improved" on the past designs, however, there doesn't seem to be any signs of "improvement," mechanically.

I've been looking for a 957 CTT to replace the X5 but now... I don't know.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I don't consider it way high, but we all have a comfort zone. This is my daily ride and is needed to function all the time. However I still might decide to stay with her
Old 11-07-2011, 02:25 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mudman2
There are people out there over 250k bless em
Consider them blessed... See, there is redemption. Are these souls here on this forum anywhere or were they run off under the threat of being burned at the steak? And I Do mean Steak

Quick Reply: 08 TT