Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 03:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Are you saying Leipzeigians can't paint as well as Zuffenhauseners? Inferior equipment and materials? Lower intellegence?

I imagine the processes, equipment, and paint are similar and I see no difference in quality between the finish on my Carrera S and Cayenne S. Sure, there's no paint to sample but that's only important if you feel the need to give Porsche an extra $4-5K to substitute for a perfectly good standard paint job. Meh.
My wife's Targa is from the Exclusive Programme ... exterior paint to sample, interior to sample, so I'm a bit partial to the Programme.

Yes, I do think the Z paint is better than the L paint
Old 09-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Rudy Alex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents have the sand white 2012 Cayenne and it's really a great color. It's all on preference I guess, but there are too many cars that are all BRIGHT white and it's kind of cool to have one that's out of the ordinary.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:13 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

While the sand white may be a great color, it may not be so great at re-sale time. I ordered a white one -- just plain white, and mine was scheduled for a Nov build, but got pushed back as others have experienced -- system now says Dec build, but who knows. In the mean time, I tried to locate any sand white Cayenne at 4 local dealers, just to see what it looks like, and there are none to see -- not even a demo. Too risky, changed color to Silver, and dealer is trying to get an earlier build.

Experienced similar issues with previous Porsche purchases -- 911 (996 version) got pushed back 3 months as there were no Turbo wheels to be had -- these wheels were very popular back then. Then my order for a Cayenne S in 2004 kept being pushed back because I wanted air suspension, but those units were reserved for the Turbo -- so I ended up with a Turbo. One would think that, at some point, the factory would get it's act together. In this day and age, there's no excuse for this -- particularly when the issue is as low tech as a can of paint.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:54 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see sand white Cayenne on daily basis, just come to Toronto and you'll see plenty!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:16 AM
CHILLIPEPPER
4th Gear

Its always best to wait to get exactly what you want, that way you have no regrets whatsoever!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:54 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

So paint to order starts out with a white car?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
While the sand white may be a great color, it may not be so great at re-sale time.......In the mean time, I tried to locate any sand white Cayenne at 4 local dealers, just to see what it looks like, and there are none to see -- not even a demo. Too risky, changed color to Silver, and dealer is trying to get an earlier build.
I certainly understand not wanting to buy a color without seeing it first but what makes you say that sannd white might not be so great at re-sale time? White is the second most popular car color in the US, after silver. BTW, I love my Sand White CS. Never owned white before, but am really liking it on the Cayenne.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Rudy Alex
Intermediate

Really? No re-sale? You don't see any Sand-White Cayennes on the market because they all sell within the first days of being put up. People LOVE white, and some even buy them from the U.S and ship them to the UAE, etc.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:40 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I certainly understand not wanting to buy a color without seeing it first but what makes you say that sannd white might not be so great at re-sale time? White is the second most popular car color in the US, after silver. BTW, I love my Sand White CS. Never owned white before, but am really liking it on the Cayenne.

According to people I've spoken with, and the color, as represented in the Cayenne booklet, sand white shows a slight yellow cast; obviously it's off white. Another post on this thread mentions that this color doesn't look particularly good when dirty, or in a dim light. Add to that, Porsche intended to discontinue this color next month, and substitute the purer white instead. Perhaps, they used focus groups who preferred the the white w/o the yellow in it, and decided to make the change. Certainly, white is a very popular color; it's what I initially ordered.

But w/o seeing this color on a Cayenne, and the fact that it's being discontined, leads me to believe that, as of this moment, this sand white could be a risky bet when it's re-sale time.

Doesn't mean it's a bad color, just means the factory will not be making it any longer after they get the new paint. That's what I was told. But as some have mentioned, it could be like the white iPhone, meaning the white is delayed for a long time, and the sand white lives on for another year or two. There's no certainty to any of this -- that's why I'm going Silver (factory has cans of that paint -- at least I think they do).

Don't take any of this personally -- just answering your question, and chances are SW is wonderful.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
According to people I've spoken with, and the color, as represented in the Cayenne booklet, sand white shows a slight yellow cast; obviously it's off white. Another post on this thread mentions that this color doesn't look particularly good when dirty, or in a dim light. Add to that, Porsche intended to discontinue this color next month, and substitute the purer white instead. Perhaps, they used focus groups who preferred the the white w/o the yellow in it, and decided to make the change. Certainly, white is a very popular color; it's what I initially ordered.

But w/o seeing this color on a Cayenne, and the fact that it's being discontined, leads me to believe that, as of this moment, this sand white could be a risky bet when it's re-sale time.

Doesn't mean it's a bad color, just means the factory will not be making it any longer after they get the new paint. That's what I was told. But as some have mentioned, it could be like the white iPhone, meaning the white is delayed for a long time, and the sand white lives on for another year or two. There's no certainty to any of this -- that's why I'm going Silver (factory has cans of that paint -- at least I think they do).

Don't take any of this personally -- just answering your question, and chances are SW is wonderful.
No offense taken.

Sand is an off white but to me that is an advantage as seeing a large generally square SUV in basic white has me thinking old style refrigerator! I would not have ordered my first white car ever if the Cayenne was only available in plain white. I never see yellow with SW, and have no issues with the color when dirty (it's never dirty for long anyway ) or in low light. And any paint can be color matched; having a color discontinued is a non issue. Obviously, though, color is a very personal thing. Some people are very proud of unusual color combinations that I find hideous and others think white and silver are boring so it cuts both ways. Personally, I'm very partial to silver, as you can see from my avatar, and that will be a great choice for your Cayenne.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:23 AM
ssharro
2nd Gear

Just to keep you posted, my dealer tells me that current projected build date for my white Cayenne is 12/12/2011. We'll see....

Quick Reply: Indefinite Delay on My White S Order