Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure maybe battery problem???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Tooch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure maybe battery problem???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have recently gotten a few warnings on my '06 CTT. First one was a flat tire warning, checked tires air pressure etc. everything ok. Next one was a light out somewhere didn't say where checked all bulbs all working ok. Finally I got a warning brake pad workshop, I just had the PIG in the shop and had the brakes checked I had plenty of pad left. All of the warnings went away when I shut off the engine and restarted it. If there were a problem would the warnings go off like that ? I did not get the warnings all at once but over a few days. Could it possibly be the battery it is the original . I have 35,000 miles and the brake pads were changed at 19,000 miles . Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 Battery. I also have an 06 and had to change the battery this summer 42k miles. Strange things happen when the battery goes bad. Buy yourself a set of tripple square tools and change yourself, pretty easy.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Tooch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Km1.8t
+1 Battery. I also have an 06 and had to change the battery this summer 42k miles. Strange things happen when the battery goes bad. Buy yourself a set of tripple square tools and change yourself, pretty easy.
Sounds like a good idea anyway considering the age, what battery did you use for a replacement ? Also did you use a battery backup of some type in order to change it ?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Loutorious
Track Day

Just changed battery today. Got it from Advance Auto parts - AutoCraft gold battery, better than oem, probably, for like $145 out the door. It is an exact replacement, but save your vent tube from old batt. I didn't use any battery backup and everything is fine. When you first start it up may get a few warning lights but went away after 1 cycle. I have keyless entry, tmps, etc and all still works.

Remember the triple square bits.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure you always run the vent tube, no matter which brand of battery.

Some people prefer to connect a trickle charger to the cigarette lighter/unswitched outlet in order to maintain memory during battery swap...
Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

I used a Duralast from Autozone, perfect fit. You do not need any back up, just pull the old one out and replace. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Tooch
Advanced

I will be changing out the battery this week . Did you replace the seat bolts with new ones as recommended?
Old 09-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooch
I will be changing out the battery this week . Did you replace the seat bolts with new ones as recommended?
Replaced mine a couple of months ago. I don't believe mileage has any affect on life of the battery, in fact I think the more you drive it the longer it will last. Sitting in a garage draining away is much worse than being driven every day. And how long your vehicle sat at the port and the dealer's w/ out use does not help with the life of the battery.

Interstate makes a battery for the Pepper but the battery in their applications guides (online and in store) is wrong, it's smaller than the OE battery. Either take the battery out and get them to match it or get the physical dimensions and have them match it first.

I consider a battery to be a maint. replacement item, I don't wait until it leaves me stranded in a parking lot somewhere before I replace it.

I did not replace the bolts, saw no need to.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Tooch
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the great advice .

Much appreciated
Old 09-11-2011, 12:45 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As per the maintenance manual the bolts should be replaced with new ones every time they are disturbed. There is a thread locking sealant on them that is destroyed once they are removed.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Stone43
Racer

Where did you guys find the tool to remove the bolts?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Tooch
Advanced

Most big chain stores have them
Auto zone
Harbor Freight
Advance Auto
Sears
Old 09-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
As per the maintenance manual the bolts should be replaced with new ones every time they are disturbed. There is a thread locking sealant on them that is destroyed once they are removed.
If I thought for a second there was a chance of those bolts backing out I would just put another drop of threadlock on the bolts and re-install. If you're concerned about it put a drop of Permatex (sp ?) on them.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Tooch
Advanced

I talked to the local Porsche service dept. today. I was told the bolts aren't even kept in stock and when they do battery changes they normally do not use new bolts for the seat. The bolts are only about a buck each though, so cheap enough to replace or just put some blue loctite on them.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Did not change the bolts, I would be shocked if the would come loose. I would put on some locktite if you are concerned, they are pretty heavy duty. I would bet the reason they request that they are replaced is for CYA.

Quick Reply: Not sure maybe battery problem???