Sponsored by:

2011 CS PCM problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Cayenne11DHO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 CS PCM problem

After using a gen-1 iPod Nano with the usb port satisfactorily for a few days, the iPOD on-screen selection disappered yesterday.

I tried unplugging the iPod and re-starting the car but the PCM only shows 4 audio sources : AM, FM, CD and AUX.

Did anyone experience the same issue?

I have scheduled a check with my dealer and hope this is only a minor software fix.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

PCM's ability to recognize my iPhone 3G as a selectable audio source is not always consistent in the '11 Cayenne (it's never a problem in my '09 Carrera; first time every time). The best way I've found to get them to synch is to start the car, then plug in the phone and turn it on. Once the phone boots up the iPod source usually appears in PCM, although sometimes it takes more than one try. Seems like the connection should be consistent like it is in the Carrera and the fact that it's not can be a pain. If you find out anything from your dealer, please post about it.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:46 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 205 Posts

I've used an iPhone 3GS, 2nd gen Touch, and now the latest Nano, I've experienced no problems with the car recognizing the device. The music does intermittently cut out for a split second from time to time, but not often enough where it's a problem.

Did you try a new iPod cable by chance?
Old 08-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by slwong23
I've used an iPhone 3GS, 2nd gen Touch, and now the latest Nano, I've experienced no problems with the car recognizing the device. The music does intermittently cut out for a split second from time to time, but not often enough where it's a problem.

Did you try a new iPod cable by chance?
Your question is probably for the OP, but just as a point that may be of interest to someone, I purchased a new generic AT&T approved iPhone cable and it didn't work at all with PCM in the Cayenne. Swapped it for a genuine Apple cable, and it works as I described in post 2 above.

I wonder if it's a generational thing with the intermittent connection; your 3GS works without issue but my 3G is spotty.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:36 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Your question is probably for the OP, but just as a point that may be of interest to someone, I purchased a new generic AT&T approved iPhone cable and it didn't work at all with PCM in the Cayenne. Swapped it for a genuine Apple cable, and it works as I described in post 2 above.

I wonder if it's a generational thing with the intermittent connection; your 3GS works without issue but my 3G is spotty.
Interesting about the cable. I'm currently using a short RadTech cable with the latest Nano. However, I never did notice the music cutting with the OEM cable and 3GS/Touch. Could have to do with the generation of device and cable? I remember reading something to the effect of only certain Apple devices having been approved, though it's been a while since I've looked at the PCM manual.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Cayenne11DHO
Intermediate

Get the answer from the dealer. The car can recognize 3GS iPhone (with iOS 4.3.x) but not for the earlier models (my iPhone is 3G with IOS 4.2.x only and iPod nano 1st gen.).

Also, they claimed they cannot reset the PCM to show "iPod" as a fixed selectable source now. IPod will pop up automatically when I connect the new-gen devices. They originally said there is a setting in PCM which can choose "auto-detection" or "fixed" iPod source but now they cannot find this setting for me.

They also cannot explain why my 1st-gen iPod Nano worked for a few days when there was a fixed iPod source even I didn't connect any iPod/iPhone.

I will try testing different Apple cables (the original Nano one, iPhone 3G and iPad) later and see if any miracle may happen.

Thanks a lot Mike and slwong23 for your advice
Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cayenne11DHO
Get the answer from the dealer. The car can recognize 3GS iPhone (with iOS 4.3.x) but not for the earlier models (my iPhone is 3G with IOS 4.2.x only and iPod nano 1st gen.).

Also, they claimed they cannot reset the PCM to show "iPod" as a fixed selectable source now. IPod will pop up automatically when I connect the new-gen devices. They originally said there is a setting in PCM which can choose "auto-detection" or "fixed" iPod source but now they cannot find this setting for me.

They also cannot explain why my 1st-gen iPod Nano worked for a few days when there was a fixed iPod source even I didn't connect any iPod/iPhone.

I will try testing different Apple cables (the original Nano one, iPhone 3G and iPad) later and see if any miracle may happen.

Thanks a lot Mike and slwong23 for your advice
Your dealer's info is very interesting (and slightly suspect) since my iPhone is a 3G with V. 4.2.1 and it works as I described above.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:43 AM
technodad
4th Gear

I also had a similar problem to the OP and brought it to the attention of the dealer. I also tried a few cables including the original Iphone usb cable, but no luck. The salesman thinks it is because I have the AUX-BT turned on.
So I disabled it and the IPOD direct connection started working again. Maybe there is a conflict somewhere between the two audio sources?

Someone in the Panamera forum also reported similar problems. They claim, rebooting the Iphone/Itouch/Nano will solve the problem. This I did not try. It seems silly to reboot your player every time you change your input.
Hope this helps shed some light.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Cayenne11DHO
Intermediate

Thanks technodad, my car doesn't have BT module.

I tried different Apple cables last night and no luck for my old nano and iPhone 3G.

I then tried a newer iPod nano (seized from my sister-in-law) and it worked perfectly.

Anyway, I think it's better to connect the iPod only after starting the car based on the feedback from you guys.

Quick Reply: 2011 CS PCM problem