Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM
nood1es
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma

resolved. Thanks

Last edited by nood1es; 08-25-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:29 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Have you heard back from the second dealer? Many oil experts say that the oil change interval of the Cayenne is a joke and should not be followed. It isn't so much the fact of the breakdown of the oil itself, but the soluable contaminents that get in the oil and don't get filtered but eventually deposit and accumulate or carried by the oil. Blackstone labs, one of the premier oil testing labs here in the U.S. claims that the best oils show too much build up of contaminents in 6K~10K miles. I change the oil in my Cayenne every 6K~7K with Redline oil which is one of the best oils that they have tested so I feel that I have a little piece of mind. I would rather change my oil much more than recommended for a piece of mind than wait until the warranty runs out and have problems later.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

Vehicles that are driven less frequently or for only short distances can actually be more susceptible to sludge than those driven frequently. If the engine is only run for a short period of time and not brought up to proper operating temperature, moisture in the oil won't be burned off and it will emulsify in the oil causing the viscosity to change and accelerating the buildup of sludge. This is especially true in colder weather where condensation can bring even more moisture into the oil. This is one of the reasons there is a mileage AND a time recommendation on how often you should change your oil.

FWIW, a CEL for a cam position sensor isn't uncommon in Cayennes, especially if the oil is dirty.

Quick Reply: Dilemma