Sponsored by:

04 CTT leaking fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by KMCTT
Ok, so I'll order the 2 rubber gaskets, driver side flange unit and union flange tool. Is that all I'll need?
Hopefully..
Old 10-23-2013, 11:30 AM
lnnguyen01
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, looks like I have a gas leak from fuel filter on driver's side.

I found the following from previous posts. I know I need new fuel filter and seal for driver's side but why do I need to replace fuel pressure regulator on passenger side also.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by deilenberger
There are no user replaceable parts in the filter assembly.

You need a new one, and the rubber gasket that seals it to the tank. You'll also need to remove and replace the fuel pressure regulator (under the access port on the passenger side) to disconnect/reconnect some of the internal fuel tank lines, so order a gasket for that one also.

There is a special VW tool used to release and reinstall the locking ring for these bits - saw one on eBay for about $60 (don't have the PN any more.. at least not while I'm on the road.) Since you'll be working in the fuel tank, it's to your advantage to run the tank as low as you can without running the tank dry...

It's an ugly job 'cause you're messing around with gasoline.

You might check on ebay for a new filter. I scored a brand new one in a Porsche box for $20 (discount dealer price is around $180 or so - list is over $200) when I was in LA a few weeks ago. The gaskets are around $15/each I think.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:24 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

BTW - by Remove and Replace - I meant REMOVE the current FPR and REPLACE the current FPR into the tank when done. A new FPR may not be necessary - but replacement with new of the gasket for the FPR is strongly suggested. You have to remove the FPR to get to the hoses from the fuel filter assembly.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:30 PM
KMCTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by lnnguyen01
Hi, looks like I have a gas leak from fuel filter on driver's side.

I found the following from previous posts. I know I need new fuel filter and seal for driver's side but why do I need to replace fuel pressure regulator on passenger side also.

Thanks!
Because you will need to open up both sides to do the job you should replace both the filter and regulator while your in there. Its not a hard job, you just don't want to be going in there more then once. Be sure to use the correct tools to remove and install the flange nuts!! A hammer and screw driver are not correct...
Old 10-23-2013, 01:44 PM
lnnguyen01
5th Gear

Thanks so much KMCTT & deilenberger for replies! I also found the following. How difficult is it to install the mentioned updated pipe and do I need to do it?

"RFM is right on the money. The most common cause for this is a leaking drivers side fuel tank flange. Should be part # 955 620 841 00. Due to the design of the tank, both flanges must be removed( there is one on each side of the tank) so you'll also want two sealing rings ( 955 201 133 01) There is an updated pipe that porsche wants you to install on the drivers side flange as well, 955 620 911 001"

Because you will need to open up both sides to do the job you should replace both the filter and regulator while your in there. Its not a hard job, you just don't want to be going in there more then once. Be sure to use the correct tools to remove and install the flange nuts!! A hammer and screw driver are not correct...
Originally Posted by deilenberger
BTW - by Remove and Replace - I meant REMOVE the current FPR and REPLACE the current FPR into the tank when done. A new FPR may not be necessary - but replacement with new of the gasket for the FPR is strongly suggested. You have to remove the FPR to get to the hoses from the fuel filter assembly.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:52 PM
KMCTT
Instructor

The "update pipe" is nothing more then a 90 degree elbow fitting that fits on the bottom of the filter assembly. Nothing more nothing less. You will receive this "update" with your new filter from any Porsche dealer or online parts shop that has a clue. Let me know if you need any help with this or need any of the special tools as I have them from way back when I did the job.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:40 PM
lnnguyen01
5th Gear

Thanks! Would love to buy or borrow the special tool to remove the flange locking ring from you. I'm in New Mexico.

kimlinh01@gmail.com

The "update pipe" is nothing more then a 90 degree elbow fitting that fits on the bottom of the filter assembly. Nothing more nothing less. You will receive this "update" with your new filter from any Porsche dealer or online parts shop that has a clue. Let me know if you need any help with this or need any of the special tools as I have them from way back when I did the job.

Quick Reply: 04 CTT leaking fuel