Sponsored by:

100 Degree Heat and Towing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Clutch-n-Throttle
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brooklynkid
I've been towing my Malibu ski boat this summer about 60 miles each way. Hot dry weather in NM 95+ degrees. Same temp reading as you, sounds like it normal
Nice! I got an 07 VTX. What do you have?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:06 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutch-n-Throttle
Nice! I got an 07 VTX. What do you have?
Nice boat, I got a 2000 response lxi
Old 07-27-2015, 04:16 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Being ****, with my old '05 CTT towing a car, especially in the summer, I would add a bottle of 104+ to the tank to help with the Octane under load but I always have added a bottle of the Redline Waterwetter to my Coolant system. Every little bit helps.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:29 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Will be putting in water wetter in mine this week, too.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Boostaddiction
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got back from a trip from Northern VA to Plymouth, MI and back, towing a steel 24' enclosed trailer with a 2600 lb car inside.

My CD reported rock solid coolant temps that literally never varied from 200 degrees F once warmed up, no matter the terrain or load. I'm guessing the engine ECU sends out a constant temp signal to the gauges as long as the temp is in a pretty wide range of what is acceptable.

The oil temp, on the other hand, moved in a wide range- from 210, to about 270, with temps in the 230 range pretty normal for a flat part of the road. The oil only really got hot (270) while climbing the hills/mountains on I70 up to Breezewood. You could almost use the oil temp readout as a proxy for load, as it moved up and down pretty regularly with speed and steepness of the road.

Air temps were around the 80-93 range during the trip.

I was pleasantly surpsied with the mileage- with no trailer, I can routinely get 30+ MPG on the highway without really trying. With an empty trailer, I get 15-16, and when a car is in the trailer, I get about 13. All in all, pretty good results, I think.

The Cayenne was very smooth while towing, and I had none of the swaying tail-wagging-the-dog feeling I've had in the past occasionally with the previous tow vehicle (Touareg V10 TDi with 300 HP and 553 ft/lbs, and air suspension).

I get a lot of surprised looks when towing with the Cayenne. Most people don't think it can tow a 24' trailer...

Last edited by Boostaddiction; 07-28-2015 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Old 07-28-2015, 12:00 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostaddiction
I just got back from a trip from Northern VA to Plymouth, MI and back, towing a steel 24' enclosed trailer with a 2600 lb car inside.

My CD reported rock solid coolant temps that literally never varied from 200 degrees F once warmed up, no matter the terrain or load. I'm guessing the engine ECU sends out a constant temp signal to the gauges as long as the temp is in a pretty wide range of what is acceptable.

The oil temp, on the other hand, moved in a wide range- from 210, to about 270, with temps in the 230 range pretty normal for a flat part of the road. The oil only really got hot (270) while climbing the hills/mountains on I70 up to Breezewood. You could almost use the oil temp readout as a proxy for load, as it moved up and down pretty regularly with speed and steepness of the road.

Air temps were around the 80-93 range during the trip.

I was pleasantly surpsied with the mileage- with no trailer, I can routinely get 30+ MPG on the highway without really trying. With an empty trailer, I get 15-16, and when a car is in the trailer, I get about 13. All in all, pretty good results, I think.

The Cayenne was very smooth while towing, and I had none of the swaying tail-wagging-the-dog feeling I've had in the past occasionally with the previous tow vehicle (Touareg V10 TDi with 300 HP and 553 ft/lbs, and air suspension).

I get a lot of surprised looks when towing with the Cayenne. Most people don't think it can't tow a 24' trailer...
Thats exactly what happens, pretty common on VAG vehicles

Out of curiosity how did you find the V10 Touareg? I took a shine to one before the CTT. Always fancied one as I had a VW with essentially half that engine (5 pot) and it was a fantastic vehicle, good fuel economy, reliable, good power and no timing belts or chains to worry about

Pretty sure they only killed them off due to emissions controls tightening
Old 07-28-2015, 02:51 PM
Boostaddiction
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniffer
Thats exactly what happens, pretty common on VAG vehicles

Out of curiosity how did you find the V10 Touareg? I took a shine to one before the CTT. Always fancied one as I had a VW with essentially half that engine (5 pot) and it was a fantastic vehicle, good fuel economy, reliable, good power and no timing belts or chains to worry about

Pretty sure they only killed them off due to emissions controls tightening
I cross-shopped the CTT at the time (2004), and was very impressed with the power and handling of the Cayenne. But the Porsche tax at that time was around $40K, compared to the list on the Touareg V10, which I was able to negotiate downward. I'm willing to pay more for Porsche, but not quite that much.

So I bought the Touareg, and was very happy with it for all it's life, save the last year or two, when maintenance and repairs (mostly) killed the enjoyment. It towed pretty well, got decent mileage for its size and displacement, and was a great trip vehicle.

So far, though, the CD is better in almost every respect- more tech, much better economy, more refinement (as you would expect 9 years later), and more luxury. Handles decently, too, though not like the CTT. . And still tows as well, if not better, which is mildly surprising.

Like you, I understood that emissions were what killed the V10. I'm sure with development, it could have been made compliant with the latest emission requirements, but I think the V8 diesel sold outside the US probably dampened the demand for the V10.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:41 AM
Rennaissance
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2012 CTT has never stopped at 180'F for coolant temperature. Coolant reaches 201 within 3 minutes of relaxed driving and stays there no matter what the outside temperature is.

Oil gets to 208 on the open road. In traffic, it jumps to 220+.

We are not towing or going uphill or driving hard. I have cleaned out the front grill from debris and insects.

Oil will not fall below 208' even when it's 60'F outside and we are doing 65 mph on a long downhill stretch.

Oil will get to 220+ in city traffic when it's 64'F outside.

It's the same in 100' heat.

Do you think these temperatures are normal?

Quick Reply: 100 Degree Heat and Towing Questions