Coolant Leak...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 04:59 PM
stevertr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak...

Hey all,

Huge coolant leak today from the 04 CTT.

Brought it to my local indy who said he "sees it a lot" and that it's the coolant bypass pipe on the back of the turbocharger. According to him, there are four of them and they all look very similar so he's going to need to pull the intake manifold, and then look at the exploded parts diagram to see which one it is etc. to order the part from P.

I trust these guys completely, I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the issue is, and potential parts numbers/costs. I may just order it from vertex if someone can id the part for me.

Am I correct that this is different from the "cayenne coolant pipe" issue that is mentioned elsewhere.

He called it the turbo bypass, but I always think of that solely in terms of boost bypass, not having to do with coolant.

Any insight?

Steve
Old 08-05-2011, 07:43 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Search and ye shall find!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes, the "T" is on the back of the engine. They do fail independently of the coolant pipes.

If he is going this deep, you should upgrade the coolant pipes as well.

Good luck finding the P/N on the "T". I saw a wrench here fashion one from brass to ensure a solid replacement.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:56 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know how it goes. Maybe take some pics?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stevertr
Hey all,

Huge coolant leak today from the 04 CTT.

Brought it to my local indy who said he "sees it a lot" and that it's the coolant bypass pipe on the back of the turbocharger. According to him, there are four of them and they all look very similar so he's going to need to pull the intake manifold, and then look at the exploded parts diagram to see which one it is etc. to order the part from P.

I trust these guys completely, I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the issue is, and potential parts numbers/costs. I may just order it from vertex if someone can id the part for me.

Am I correct that this is different from the "cayenne coolant pipe" issue that is mentioned elsewhere.

He called it the turbo bypass, but I always think of that solely in terms of boost bypass, not having to do with coolant.

Any insight?

Steve
IIRC, RL member T2 (Tom), who is the high mileage expert (300K miles on his 996 Turbo and ? 200K miles on his Cayenne Turbo) has some information on the Turbo T fitting.
Yes, it is separate/different from the plastic coolant pipes under the intake manifold which are designed to break and cool the starter ...
Yes, some mechanics have fashioned more durable replacements since PAG has not come up with a retrofit/improved parts (like the coolant tubes).
Old 08-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

See the thread at the very top of the Cayenne forum titled "Coolant Pipes A - Z". Do them all at the same time 'cause if not you'll be back in there again. Don't do half the job, labor is more expensive than the parts.

Surprised your wrench "sees this a lot" and doesn't already know the remedy.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:46 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 54 Posts

To all,

We have done the coolant tubes replacement, the tee fitting on the back of the engine and also most recently found two o-rings on the back of the engine for a manifold that connects the left and right backs of cylinders that needed to be replaced. This is on our 2004 Cayenne Turbo with 223,000 miles.

Hope this helps.

T2.....continues to knock on wood

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak...