Sponsored by:

Is a rough idle coils or what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 06:11 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mtonks
Did you ever fix this as it have the same problem and it's driving me insane! Cheers
Nope still won't start on initial key turn many times, and RPMs drop when coming to a stop. I have latest coils and plugs and 93 octane in it always and ran tons of Techron + through it. I bet it is the failed fuel filter check valve or fuel pump but have not yet wanted to start serious surgery on the vehicle that's my mechanic has been very hard to pin down this year....more pressing is "faulty brake booster".....
Old 03-10-2014, 06:24 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets pretend the there is no problem with Fuel pressure and Air obstructions. The computer determines idle and engine speed based on many electronic inputs, including the fly-by-wire accelerator peddle. One or more of the sensors that feed into this could be bad?

If you have a fuel pressure problem, you should be able to see this at some fuel pressure tap somewhere. It may even be an option to add a remote pressure sensor to see fuel pressure while driving?

This may be a fun project update. I know on my Cuda, I could not live without my analog Oil pressure, fuel pressure, and vacuum gauge. I am sure some of the racers on this forum will tell you the same.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 PM
westy66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im having a slightly lumpy idle when stopped and i feel stuttering while accelerating too. But she hasnt threw up a code yet. maybe i have fuel system issues. shes going to the dealer next week.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 AM
b52guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did this turn out? I have the same symptoms.

All my coils and plugs have been replaced...

Originally Posted by westy66
im having a slightly lumpy idle when stopped and i feel stuttering while accelerating too. But she hasnt threw up a code yet. maybe i have fuel system issues. shes going to the dealer next week.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:52 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on my personal experience, took mine in (still had a factory warranty at that time), they found few cracked coils and fuel pump went bad. Both were replaced and been smooth ride since then.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Don't forget dirty throttle body and air filter too....
Old 05-16-2016, 03:01 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

bumping this as my 03 C2 idles 'rough' 1100-1200 rpm for first minute or so on cold start then reliably settles at ~800 rpm and smoothes out. Once warm it gives no noticeable issues. Have the more open intake and it sounds fine throughout the rpm range.

Passed PPI very recently and have put 2.5k on it with some canyon driving and desert highways/fast. No complaints. I figured the starting was just normal warming up, but have seen some detail on misfires.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:45 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
N....more pressing is "faulty brake booster".....

This is the tell tale problem. Usually the vacuum tube on the right side of the engine has cracked. It will get worse over time. That or the AOS diaphragm has split.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:51 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
bumping this as my 03 C2 idles 'rough' 1100-1200 rpm for first minute or so on cold start then reliably settles at ~800 rpm and smoothes out. Once warm it gives no noticeable issues. Have the more open intake and it sounds fine throughout the rpm range.

Passed PPI very recently and have put 2.5k on it with some canyon driving and desert highways/fast. No complaints. I figured the starting was just normal warming up, but have seen some detail on misfires.
At first I was thinking 1200rpm idle! Get that checked out/way too high. Then I realize you said C2. This is not the Carrera forum.

Quick Reply: Is a rough idle coils or what?