Sponsored by:

Planning for winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM
nixul
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning for winter tires

Hi Guys, I know the weather is still warm, but driving in the snow is one of the biggest excuses I presented to my wife to get a 08 CTT. We live in Delaware/PA area. Our sedan suffered on the snow and ice couple times last year. Now my 08 CTT has 20" stock wheels plus Michelin Diamaris. To handle the snow, I have two options:

1) Get a set of snow tires for current wheels. The cost is around $1000 plus $200 installation fees. And every year I have to spend the installation fees two times.

2) Get a set of used 18" wheels + snow tires + TPMS sensors. Better results in snow, but higher cost ($1800 in total). $600 for wheels (hopefully)+Tires ($900)+Sensor($300). For following years, I can swith the tires myself easily.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd go with option #2, it's much more convenient. Mounting and dismounting tires twice every year is more potential for somebody to booger up your wheels. Plus it is nice to be able to change out wheels whenever you want. If one day in October it looks like it may snow the next day you can run out to the garage and change them out.

You should be able to pick up a set of used 18" CTT wheels for $300-400. I bought a set from a Rennlister a few years back for $400 shipped with colored crest center caps. I mounted a set of Blizzak DMV1 255/55/18s that where just under $700 shipped from Tirerack. Cost me around $50 to get them all mounted. My Treg doesn't use TPMS but you can find those used for under $200. I've seen used Cayenne wheels that came with them. In fact, I've seen full Cayenne winter set ups with maybe one season on them for $800-1200.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Getting a second set of wheels is the only way to go -- you don't want 20" snow tires. I have driven Jaguars for 30 years -- you need a winter set with RWD - trust me you don't want to be switching out tires.

Keep your eye out for someone unloading a set.

I was unbelievably lucky as I bought a set from Porsche -- they were unloading a lot of unsold winter sets before they got too old. I think I paid $750 delivered.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:01 AM
nixul
Intermediate

Van and Yeldogt, thanks for your responses and good suggestions.

I am looking for a set of 18" wheels for 08 CTT. Anyone has it?

Also, yeldogt, where did you find the info to buy a set from Porsche? Also does any 18" OEM wheels fit on 08 CTT?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:28 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

nixul -- It was actually on e-bay. A dealer from NY had a bunch of sets and they put some up. I later found out that they were selling off Porsche stock. At the time the number of factory wheels available secondhand was small. I was searching for wheels never thinking I would be able to get a new balanced tire set. Porsche anticipated that more people would need and buy winter sets - so they made up too many.

I was just about to get a balanced set from Tirerack when the Porsche set popped up. I had purchased a set that summer for a convertible --and was very happy.

Today, I see wheels pop up all the time for reasonable prices. My brain is not working this morning -- I believe my winter sets are 18". The winter sets Porsche sold were all mounted on the same rims supplied on the base Cayenne. My CS had the next size up supplied as standard.

You don't want to go too big with the winters -- not only are they $$ if available - they don't work as well. So your decision on the 18" is correct.

Unless someone chimes in your dealer should be able to tell you what would fit - I believe the second generation is all the same. Not sure what calipers you have on the turbo -- that may make a difference.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm running Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow winter tires on 20" oem rims and never had an issue during our many heavy snow storms here in Montreal.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL! It's going to be near 100 degrees here in Chicago area today......tomorrow......and Thursday!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:04 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Andy -- Good to know -- maybe improvements

My experience a few years ago was not good in heavy snow.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Andy -- Good to know -- maybe improvements

My experience a few years ago was not good in heavy snow.
In general, a tall and skinnier tire will plow thru snow much easier than a wide/low profile tire will. I understand the dynamics behind this and agree to it as long as there's a substantial difference in dimensions.

Given the overall dimensions of the 20" vs the 18" or 19", the difference on the footprint was not that substantial to warrant using smaller rims. Now, potholes are a completely different story....

During my research last summer, I did a comparison between sizes by using Porsche AG's official recommendations and posted them here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ce-snow-2.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...now-tires.html

Another important factor is in the tires. I cannot stress how well the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow behaved during all winter conditions.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 PM
nixul
Intermediate

Yelgogt, Thanks you so much for the detailed info. Appreciate it. I will also check with my dealer to see whether there is any customer want to sell their 18" wheels. Wish you a cool summer.

Originally Posted by yeldogt
nixul -- It was actually on e-bay. A dealer from NY had a bunch of sets and they put some up. I later found out that they were selling off Porsche stock. At the time the number of factory wheels available secondhand was small. I was searching for wheels never thinking I would be able to get a new balanced tire set. Porsche anticipated that more people would need and buy winter sets - so they made up too many.

I was just about to get a balanced set from Tirerack when the Porsche set popped up. I had purchased a set that summer for a convertible --and was very happy.

Today, I see wheels pop up all the time for reasonable prices. My brain is not working this morning -- I believe my winter sets are 18". The winter sets Porsche sold were all mounted on the same rims supplied on the base Cayenne. My CS had the next size up supplied as standard.

You don't want to go too big with the winters -- not only are they $$ if available - they don't work as well. So your decision on the 18" is correct.

Unless someone chimes in your dealer should be able to tell you what would fit - I believe the second generation is all the same. Not sure what calipers you have on the turbo -- that may make a difference.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 PM
nixul
Intermediate

That's decent homework. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Andy E.
In general, a tall and skinnier tire will plow thru snow much easier than a wide/low profile tire will. I understand the dynamics behind this and agree to it as long as there's a substantial difference in dimensions.

Given the overall dimensions of the 20" vs the 18" or 19", the difference on the footprint was not that substantial to warrant using smaller rims. Now, potholes are a completely different story....

During my research last summer, I did a comparison between sizes by using Porsche AG's official recommendations and posted them here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ce-snow-2.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...now-tires.html

Another important factor is in the tires. I cannot stress how well the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow behaved during all winter conditions.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Cayenne06
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nixul
Hi Guys, I know the weather is still warm, but driving in the snow is one of the biggest excuses I presented to my wife to get a 08 CTT. We live in Delaware/PA area. Our sedan suffered on the snow and ice couple times last year. Now my 08 CTT has 20" stock wheels plus Michelin Diamaris. To handle the snow, I have two options:

1) Get a set of snow tires for current wheels. The cost is around $1000 plus $200 installation fees. And every year I have to spend the installation fees two times.

2) Get a set of used 18" wheels + snow tires + TPMS sensors. Better results in snow, but higher cost ($1800 in total). $600 for wheels (hopefully)+Tires ($900)+Sensor($300). For following years, I can swith the tires myself easily.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

Nixul,
I have set of four (4) Factory-OEM Porsche Cayenne 19" Titanium wheels, Used with minor marks and brand new snow/winter tires, never been used (Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 Performance winter/Snow Tires). Wheels are 19". Tires are Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 Performance winter/Snow Tires. 100% tread. Porsche center caps are included. Also listed on e -bay with pictures. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-Po...Q5fAccessories
Old 07-22-2011, 01:03 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

enigmawm is giving away her 18s if your in maryland...
Old 07-22-2011, 07:12 PM
nixul
Intermediate

Appreciate your info, Man. I am in Maryland area, but I saw the post too late and missed it.

Originally Posted by cordsig79
enigmawm is giving away her 18s if your in maryland...

Quick Reply: Planning for winter tires