Help! Removing the rear wiper arm

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Help! Removing the rear wiper arm

The rear window wiper arm snapped off in a car wash.

I have the replacement parts but can't seem to get the base of the original arm off the window. What the heck am I missing here?

I removed the 13 mm nut in the first pic and the two 10 mm nuts on the underside of the glass in the second pic, but the arm won't come off.

How do I get the base of the rear wiper arm off?

The new parts don't give any clue as to what's holding it all together. I'm starting to think that it's just rusted on there.

Gonna go look for a hammer... but would gladly prefer professional insight.

Paging Lewis...
Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2011, 12:14 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Put the two nuts back ON. All you have to do is remove the center nut on the arm, and rock it a bit while pulling straight out. If it doesn't pop off, some WD-40 or penetrating oil may help. Or put the nut back on the shaft, and tap on it with the handle of a screwdriver to shock the arm loose.

The arm has a splined hole that mates with a tapered spline on the shaft.. they can tend to lock together after being on for a long time.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:47 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the input, Don.

I finally got it.

I took a close look at the PET diagram, and it looks like the arm should just pull off after removing the 13 mm nut. What the PET diagram doesn't show is that the base of the shaft is splined and tapered. The receiving end of the wiper arm, however, is not splined. Tightening the 13 mm nut presses the wiper arm down onto the tapered splines creating indentations helping the two parts lock together.

I soaked the area with PB Blaster and went to dinner. I still had to pry pretty hard to get the arm off. Ridiculous!

I went ahead and replaced the switch while I was at it. Take note, if you replace the switch that releases the rear glass window, the window will still LOCK closed.

And, with the switch removed, you cannot reopen the rear glass unless you can reach the plugin for the switch. Thankfully, my wire was still barely accessible... otherwise, you're SOL.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A good tool to have in your DIY tool box is a wiper arm remover. It threads onto the stud head and lifts the arm gently off w/o having to wiggle, shake or rock n'roll.
Under $10. http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool.../OTC-4676.html

Quick Reply: Help! Removing the rear wiper arm