Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got a cayenne diesel loaner here in germany love it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:50 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

the media has way over hyped "hybrids" when diesel is better and cheaper and less destructive when you add up the cost to make the battery and their shipping over the world and raw materials ripped from the earth to create it.

I would buy a diesel in a heartbeat and if Im not crazy or misconstrued? I see all the time on ford/chevy/diesel forums people upgrading and putting on huge bigger honkin turbos and parts all day long..........? Its forced induction too so you can get much higher gains from chips/flashes etc?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Diesel is less refined and cheaper to produce than gasoline, yet it is more expensive than unleaded gasoline. Go figure.

However, the increased fuel economy combined with longer engine life (and tax credits at time of purchase) more than offsets this cost.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:25 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I only wish they brought the 75mpg VW Polo to the US .. oh well.
there was a car named VW Lupo 3L a while ago, average fuel economy was rated @ 2.8 liters/100km which translates to about 85 mpg.

I've had a couple of diesel cars, but diesels also have drawbacks in long term - the injectors can be considered an article of consumption and their life depends heavily on fuel quality. one high pressure common rail injector costs about $700, so replacing i.e. 6 of them is quite a hefty price tag... same goes for the high pressure fuel pump, EGR, particle filter etc.

btw, I've had an LPG system installed in my CT-S today. cuts my fuel cost by about 40% and I still keep the V8 growl :-)
Old 07-08-2011, 05:45 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cost of refining diesel fuel has increased with the "low sulfur" rules -- so that is part of the price difference. Another interesting twist is that we now import refined product from europe -- they have an excess due to a much higher diesel useage over gasoliine. So .... they lower the USA gasoline cost by shipping over the excess.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:53 AM
quattrotman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot for the life of me understand why diesel is so taboo here in north america. I honestly think it's just ignorance and the oil companies pushing gasoline. Diesels are awesome. My wife drives an ML 320cdi and it easily gets twice the mileage of my CS. It's quick and torquey and quiet. No black smoke. We can go almost 1000KM on a tank HWY. The only real **** off for me is that I have to drive out of my way to find diesel where I live. One diesel station for every 50 regular ones. When people start to realize how good they are there will be tons of them sold but gas is still too cheap. Everyone drives diesel in europe. It's like 10 to 1 over gas and that's purely economics. At $8-10 a gallon, you try and cut that cost anyway you can. Hybrid and electric is bull$hit IMO. Turbo diesel is one of the most efficient and best power to cost solutions out there and is mysteriously almost completely ignored in NA. Weird.

Quick Reply: got a cayenne diesel loaner here in germany love it!