Sponsored by:

Guys- what do I need for towing with '11 CS

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:33 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Guys- what do I need for towing with '11 CS

I have the tow package on my '11 CS. I want to trailer my track car up to Watkins Glen this summer. Going to rent a trailer from U Haul, since my home track is close and I normally just drive there (so I don't have a trailer as of yet).

What do I need to get for the Cayenne for towing? My buddy said there is a brake controller package that I need to buy. What all do I need?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The U-Haul car hauler has surge brakes, so you don't need an electronic brake controller. You will need the adapter that converts your electrical connector to a flat 4-way connector - this should have come with your Cayenne, if you didn't get it I would pester your salesman/parts dept. Note: on my car I had to install the 7-way connector myself which was very easy - simply remove the cover, and plug in.

I think you will probably need a hitch with a 3.25" drop and 2" ball.

The biggest issue with the U-haul trailer is loading low clearance cars, like GT3s - see this guide by U-Haul: http://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/1...ound-clearance.

Here's an article I did on hauling my Cayman with a U-Haul: http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/misc...transport.html

If you are hauling a GT3RS, I would strongly recommend getting some 2x8 or 2x10s to raise the front wheels at the end of the ramps, so you don't damage your chin spoiler. I also had some long 2x10s for loading, but ended up not needing them - but I have a good 4" clearance. YMMV.

More info: http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=AT

Last edited by KS-CS; 06-10-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:54 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

get some long 2x10's and be careful with rear wheels.. drive wheels might "launch" the boards..

happened to me back in day... several times when i had to drive lowered vehicle up on an alignment rack
Old 06-10-2011, 11:30 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

My RS has the front lift kit. Shouldn't that help make loading easier?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KS-CS
The U-Haul car hauler has surge brakes, so you don't need an electronic brake controller. You will need the adapter that converts your electrical connector to a flat 4-way connector - this should have come with your Cayenne, if you didn't get it I would pester your salesman/parts dept. Note: on my car I had to install the 7-way connector myself which was very easy - simply remove the cover, and plug in.
Where would I find this adapter if it came with the car?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 900 Likes on 550 Posts

What you will likely also need is the 7 way connector that has the resistor in it so the U Haul LED brake lights will work (this is required for a '10, not sure about a MY '11). http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK12716.html

As people state above, the U Haul trailer has surge brakes and won't require a brake controller. It requires you to drive the car all the way forward for mounting the belts around your front tires. Your front spoiler wont clear the front edge of the trailer and that's why you will need boards to drive the front wheels on to.

My experience:
I once towed a U Haul trailer and ended up never doing it again. With about 700 lbs the tongue weight was on the heavy side. When I checked, the tires were under inflated, which was pretty much typical of the general shape it was in. In hindsight, I was very suspect of the mechanical condition of the trailer and it was not worth risking an expensive tow vehicle and race car with a piece of equipment I had no confidence in. Bought my own aluminum trailer
Old 06-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used a U-haul trailer several times behind my '06 CS, they've already told you about the surge brakes. I would suggest going with a much less drop on the hitch insert (ball attachment) because the lower the tongue of the trailer is the more trouble you will have due to the angle between the ramps and the trailer itself. I've even used the trailer tongue jack to raise the front up to help improving the angle.

Yes, the weight will be a little heavy than you would like on the tongue but I never had a problem with it. (I don't think it was overloaded).

Yes, having your own trailer would be ideal.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:57 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i saw a guy with trailor for sale on here and seemed really reasonable.. how much is the uhaul, isnt it hundred's a day?

if you bought one then you can get the tongue weight right.

11' is like 700lbs max tongue weight and 7700 towing capacity with braked trailor.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:04 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
My RS has the front lift kit. Shouldn't that help make loading easier?
It should help with loading, but I'm pretty sure you will still need the 2x10s at the front end of the ramps to prevent from hitting the tire stops.

Originally Posted by scott40
Where would I find this adapter if it came with the car?
Mine didn't come with the car (I checked in the spare tire area and the little compartment on the right side of the trunk), so I went back to our salesman to ask where my electrical hook-up was, and he went and found the 2 parts in the Parts Dept.

Check your hitch - if you don't see a 7-way socket w/ cover like the 1st picture below, and you just have a blank cover in that area, then you need the socket. It is very easy to install - just a matter or removing the 4 screws and plugging and screwing in the socket. The other part is the 4-way adapter shown in the other 2 pics. You could probably find something similar in a store that sells trailer accessories, but the one that comes with it is designed to lock into place with the hood of the socket cover, so it won't pull out.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Guys- what do I need for towing with '11 CS