Sponsored by:

2011 Cayenne - Weak A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:31 AM
jkenp
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mcbit

You are correct, I had my cities mixed up. Do you have an '11 Cayenne? If so, does the A/C work well there? You would think that if the Germans tested the Cayenne's A/C there in the summer they would have noticed that it does not work well in that type of climate.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:44 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

never had this issue with my 04, the AC works fine, still on its original charge with 122K
Old 06-08-2011, 11:30 AM
jkenp
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mcbit

I just looked up your current weather...100's with an 81 degree dew point! Brutal
Old 06-08-2011, 11:55 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

need any eggs fried ?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be sure to push the "AC" button, as opposed to just dialing down the temp. It makes a big difference in cooling things down.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:08 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcbit
Might be nice to get your facts right before criticising Porsche's choice of testing ground, have you ever been to Dubai?

I have lived in both Dubai and Houston and Dubai is at least as humid but hotter.

"Dubai Summer Climate

Summers (June to September) are extremely hot and humid in Dubai, when temperatures can reach as high as 48°C (118°F) and humidity levels soars to 80-90%. Dust laden sandstorms locally known as 'shamal' regularly hit the city from the end of May until early July. Winter months (November to April) are mild and pleasant in Dubai, with temperatures averaging at 25°C (77°F) and humidity is lower."

http://www.middleeasthub.com/dubai/c...-of-dubai.html
Hey Guys, I couldn't resist it! I got into the CTT this morning at 05:00, temp 35C then drove 130km to work in 40m visibility fog only to discover that we don't have humidity.

Seriously though with a prevailing NWesterly airflow at 45C passing over 800km of sea with a surface temp of up to 35C, humidity on the coast is unavoidable. We are officially a 'harsh' climate as far as car makers are concerned. (Can't say I'd noticed )For Porsche the standard US/UK 20,000 mile and European 30,000 km service intervals are reduced to 20,000 km.

I have to say that I am perfectly happy with the AC in both of my Cayennes, and I drive 270 kms (170 miles) every working day in the CTT, set the AC at 22C and that's what I get with very little effort.

I don't have a 2011 but there are a huge amount of them here right now about 20% of the production are sold here (population around 5 mill) against 50% sold in the US. I haven't heard of any complaints abount the ACs yet. Same deal as always though, you never hear from a satisfied customer.

Be good
Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

Been following this thread as I've noticed some quirkiness in how the AC works in my 2011. I thought it was due to the Auto function- set it to 65, sometimes the air blows cooler, sometimes a little warmer (which feels odd when it's warm out), trying to keep the ambient temp in the car at 65. All in all, the car cools down just fine, but I do find it odd that the air blowing out seems to adjust temps. I would have thought the Auto function would just adjust the fan?

Today, it was a cool upper 80s in Vegas, and after my lunch meeting, I clicked the Max AC button to cool the car. Manually adjusted to 65 and lowered the blower after about 5 mins (so, no Auto function) and got some warm air again, but it went back to blowing cold air after a couple mins.

I don't buy the German car thing as my old BMW did not function this way, but the AC seems to blow out warm air on occasion. Might have to get this checked out as it gets 110+ out here in the thick of the summer.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:31 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Be sure to push the "AC" button, as opposed to just dialing down the temp. It makes a big difference in cooling things down.
That's what happened to me few weeks ago. I got upset thinking that another dealer visit is inevitable and then realized that "AC" button wasn't pressed.

No problems with AC here.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
Been following this thread as I've noticed some quirkiness in how the AC works in my 2011. I thought it was due to the Auto function- set it to 65, sometimes the air blows cooler, sometimes a little warmer (which feels odd when it's warm out), trying to keep the ambient temp in the car at 65. All in all, the car cools down just fine, but I do find it odd that the air blowing out seems to adjust temps. I would have thought the Auto function would just adjust the fan?

Today, it was a cool upper 80s in Vegas, and after my lunch meeting, I clicked the Max AC button to cool the car. Manually adjusted to 65 and lowered the blower after about 5 mins (so, no Auto function) and got some warm air again, but it went back to blowing cold air after a couple mins.

I don't buy the German car thing as my old BMW did not function this way, but the AC seems to blow out warm air on occasion. Might have to get this checked out as it gets 110+ out here in the thick of the summer.
Same issue here. Anything above 66 and it barely cools the car. Let us know if the dealer says anything but between here and 6speed, it sounds like a problem many are having. I guess i'll have to use the max ac button more often.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:51 PM
sand8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I am not mistaken, the way Porsche (and some other German cars) regulates the set temperature is by mixing outside un-cooled air with outside condenser cooled air, beside controlling the fan speed. So, if you outside temperature is 100F (example), no outside un-cooled air is being mixed. This may be why if you lower the temperature setting to 65F, you don't get any warm (un-cooled) air mixed in the cabin, help to cool the cabin faster.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:19 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Originally Posted by slwong23
. . . I thought it was due to the Auto function- set it to 65, sometimes the air blows cooler, sometimes a little warmer (which feels odd when it's warm out), trying to keep the ambient temp in the car at 65. All in all, the car cools down just fine, but I do find it odd that the air blowing out seems to adjust temps. I would have thought the Auto function would just adjust the fan?

Today, it was a cool upper 80s in Vegas, and after my lunch meeting, I clicked the Max AC button to cool the car. Manually adjusted to 65 and lowered the blower after about 5 mins (so, no Auto function) and got some warm air again, but it went back to blowing cold air after a couple mins. . . .
I have noticed the warmer air blowing out at times also (despite the fact that the cabin temp is still subjectively well over 72 degrees) . . . in some way I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in these observations, but I'm not entirely happy if that's the way Porsche designed it.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:12 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

Did some digging in the manual, it seems like the air compressor may be cycling off. According to pg. 69:

Information on air-conditioning
compressor
The air-conditioning compressor:
– Can switch off briefly to ensure sufficient
engine cooling if the engine is operating under
extreme load.

It does not indicate whether in Auto mode or not, but I've certainly experienced it both in Auto and Manual modes. While I expect this to be the standard operating procedure for any brand of car, I do find it a little odd that it's happened a few times already in the Cayenne, esp since it hasn't been very hot yet here in Vegas. I haven't an experience like this in any other car I've owned. Mystery solved?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:55 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine works fine. Had to lower temp a bit today in 32C sunny heat.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sand8
If I am not mistaken, the way Porsche (and some other German cars) regulates the set temperature is by mixing outside un-cooled air with outside condenser cooled air, beside controlling the fan speed. So, if you outside temperature is 100F (example), no outside un-cooled air is being mixed. This may be why if you lower the temperature setting to 65F, you don't get any warm (un-cooled) air mixed in the cabin, help to cool the cabin faster.
+1. This is precisely how the system works on my GTS. Mixing hot outdoor air with cooled recirculated indoor ambient air will achieve a more uniform temperature without temperature spiking; which usually happens when a compressor is cycled on & off.

I'm surprised that the automobile industry has yet to embrace variable or 2-speed compressor technology on their Japanese-mfd compressors.

As far as mixing outdoor with indoor air, this process entirely defeats the purpose of having a recirc button available for use. In unusually hot & humid conditions, the system automatically reverts to recirc mode until the difference in temperature "desired" and "actual" temperature are minimized.

This does not make for an ideal scenario when you need to have the cabin pressurized with fresh air to eliminate or extract odors of any given type....
Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 PM
AJRDU
Intermediate

The problem is (in my experience) that the fan speed slowed down and the air temperature changed all at once. It was not a normal compressor cycle. The car behaved as if it had over shot the desired temperature and then needed to warm the car up again. I know this to be the case because it wouldn't allow the ventilated seats to work but it would allow the seat heater to be turned on. It kept shutting the seat ventilation off as if the cabin or outside temperature were below a certain threshold. The car turning off the seat ventilation AND not cooling the interior is not a normal design function. It was definitely not working properly.

All that said, it has been over a week since I drove the car 100 miles on errands and it has functioned flawlessly since then in some very hot conditions. It has not repeated that episode--again suggesting malfunction. This sounds more like what previous posters had encountered.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne - Weak A/C?