Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Suspension and Alignment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011 | 07:11 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Question Air Suspension and Alignment.

anyone know how the air suspension can change from 2 inches higher than stock to 2 inches lower than stock without adversely affecting the alignment?

especially since the air suspension lowers as speed increases, i would feel that these small changes in alignment would affect tire wear and handling even more so at speed?

anyone who has lowered a vehicle knows that even 1" change requires a new alignment because toe and camber will be changed. wondering how air suspension gets around this since the dampers are what shorten/lengthen themselves, also does the travel of the shock change based on ride height? (i would think the air susp would be a bladder above the mounting point so that the travel remains the same but just the chassis gets raised/lowered?

i do however think the "closed" system in the 11's is genius, quicker to raise and lower because the same amount of air is in the system at all times.

-riley
Old 05-23-2011 | 12:02 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

With equal length multipoint control arms a suspension can be raised and lowered throughout a pre-determined range without aversely affecting camber.
Old 05-23-2011 | 02:03 AM
cracked peppers
3rd Gear

The Special Off-Road setting is only good up to 19 mph on the 1st gen Cayenne, and I have been wondering for awhile if there is a way to by-pass the computer to keep it at the setting all of the time to run bigger tires. Any thoughts?
Old 05-23-2011 | 02:38 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cracked peppers
The Special Off-Road setting is only good up to 19 mph on the 1st gen Cayenne, and I have been wondering for awhile if there is a way to by-pass the computer to keep it at the setting all of the time to run bigger tires. Any thoughts?
my plans were lowering links, they have worked tried and true for years on bentleys and merc's so i dont see any problem with the cayenne... i personally however would get the car realigned at the new "standard" position just for peace of mind.

imagine all the ride heights, (loading, special low, low, standard, off road and special off road)... you would put a link on and make it 1" shorter than current.. the car would think its riding 1" lower and therefore raise itself that 1" (making your car 1" higher in each setting) if you put a link on that was 1" longer than it would assume it was riding high due to something and "auto level" at a height 1" lower than usual in all the heights..

problem arises when you run out of travel, but technically at max height, it still has tons of travel because its made to be offroad in this level...should be fine.. and technically you can ride in low1 so should have travel there as well... low 2 and loading however i think might be the max and i personally feel the ride quality would suffer as well.

i guess we'll only know when someone tries it.. links are readily available online for 300$ or so.. its basically the proper ends with a bolt in the middle and nuts.... use loctite so they dont slip.

ive been in bentleys and AMG merc's with them 3" lower than stock and rides surprisingly well.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension and Alignment.