Sponsored by:

Turn key no start, turn again and she starts

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
To the boys with starting problems, do you have KESSY ?
No.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:33 PM
mikebast
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having a no start problem and im lost, i just installed a rebuilt motor in vehicle. also new battery if that matters. insert key, turn to start. regardless of how many times i press pedal or how hard i push on it still tells me to press brake pedal. engine wont turn over....any ideas?

mikie
Old 02-05-2012, 12:20 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do your brake lights illuminate when your pressing the brake pedal?
Old 02-05-2012, 07:48 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Brake interlock switch
Old 02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
mikebast
8th Gear

the brake lights do light up when i press brake pedal, by "brake interlock switch" do you mean brakelight switch or is there something else i can look at? thanks for help

mike
Old 02-06-2012, 09:29 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
Cool, I should get my triple square bits this Friday, if I have time Saturday and its not freezing out (Boston Weather) I will attempt pull the battery and lose my settings

Sunday is off limits, want to focus on the Pats

So pulled the seat back, battery seemed fine.

So I loosened the battery cables, pulled them, let the car sit for about 45 minutes.

Not long enough as some settings were lost, most were kept.

Put the contact grease on the terminals and tightened them a little tighter than before.

Car seems to be a little better, but it is probably my imagination....

We shall see tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

I still suspect the half crank issue to be a starter solenoid issue or actual starter problem.
I had my battery replaced and the half crank issue was still intermittent after the battery change.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:11 PM
touareg
Drifting

Yep, still have the problem, slow crank is gone and it is much better, just now does the same as before, doesn't catch on the first start.

Of course driving to work this AM my sun roof popped up, then a minute later closed.

weird....

Now I have other gremlins... Should have left things alone!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:44 PM
touareg
Drifting

Broke down and got another battery from autozone H8-DLG this AM, the $124 one with higher 760 CCA and 950 overall amps vs stock 520A. Was the OEM a V6 Battery? It was manufactured 09/09 and had a $389 sticker on it. Waited so long because I didn't want to do the work and spend the $$$ if it was something else on my car.

Was much easier than I thought it would be. Wrote this up as all the directions online are for the Touareg and our cars are slightly different.

I skipped the step removing the front base carpet covered plastic, made sure to remove the back rail covers first too.

The one trick, which is mentioned in the manual (doh) after tilting seat back move the seat fully forward. Can't believe how much room there is now!

New one fit perfect, its a little smaller, but the two hooks on the bottom of the battery tray fit over the lip on the battery base, and the clamp fits fine. Existing vent hose fits fine too as well as the battery posts are the correct size. Battery post grease applied and bolted on tight.

Had to plug the right side vent hole and exiting vent hose fit on left side.

Apparently someone before me liked to eat pretzels and fries in the car.

Torqued it all down to 50nm with thread lock. Didn't bother with the torque specs for the battery clamp.

Slid seat forward and replace rear rail covers and push on wire clamp to battery cover for seat harness and re-attach heat vent.

Car starts on one key flick in 36F degree weather now. Then adapted the side windows and the roof, short drive clears the traction control/abs warning.

If anyone needs help in the Boston area, I have the bits to remove the seat bolts.
Attached Images     

Last edited by touareg; 02-25-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:47 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Good result !!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM
touareg
Drifting

BTW, I keep seeing the VW Touareg folks keep asking why the battery is under the driver's seat (well in the car vs in the engine bay like most)

Over engineering, I recall reading somewhere once this was to keep it out of the elements and for fjording (not sure how to spell that, when you go through the water to keep the electrical system dry)

Maybe I made this up
Old 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

you saw how good condition the old battery was compared under hood batteries of this age. Makes so much sense
Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Had the same problem on my 2009 v6. From time to time it would not start.

Since I just went through other electrical gremlins just a few months before + some repairs as the gas tank support was causing vibrations + I could start to feel the thumping on downshift I promptly sold the car before it went off extended waranty.

I liked the car's practicality and performance on snow + ok towing, but I really had a bad feeling about this Cayenne... There is really no pleasure in owning a nice car you can't trust .
Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 PM
bjustice
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was having problems similar to Touareg where the starter would click once or so and then stop on my 05 CS. Releasing the key and starting again would always work, although it seemed a rather weak.

Replaced the main battery today with an aftermarket from O'reily that is supposed to crank out 900 CCL. The old battery did test as failing, but I'm a little concerned since I'm still having issues with the new one. The cranking sounds better but still weak and it did fail one time out of 6 probably.
Hoping it may just need to charge up some, but wondering if I have a starter or coolant pipe issue. Any recommendations?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:01 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Refer post #37.

Quick Reply: Turn key no start, turn again and she starts