Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remember me??????
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

To the boys with starting problems, do you have KESSY ?
Old 01-27-2012, 02:44 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If you mean by the keyless entry, I do not have it.

That was my other thought too, that something was not initializing fast enough or properly.

However I can insert the key, turn to acc, then wait a few seconds for all the lights to bling and the sounds to bing, try it and nadda....
Old 01-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
Anything ever come of this? My car has been doing this for 2 years.

Replaced the battery 1 year ago.

On mine, it does a "half-crank", then stops. Then I turn it all the way back (guess I don't need to do this) turn and release clockwise in about a second and then it cranks a few times till the engine catches and starts fine.

It kinds sounds like the starter is seized a little, then the second time is spins more freely, engaging the gear and turning over until the car starts.

I can almost never just flick the key and the car starts. I assume it is the same as my touareg, which acts like a push button start, I just flick the key clock wise and release it cranks a few times and fires up.

I suspect my starter is going...
For a couple of months after replacing the battery it didn't do it again but over the last month I think it's done it twice, so it hasn't gone away.

I don't believe it's starter related, it doesn't do a thing at the starter (no turn over, no click). I think it's just an electrical oddity. I've never had it fail where releasing the key and turning the key a second time failed to start the car.

Just another Porsche quirk I think.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:02 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does it too.
I dont have keyless entry, and have replaced the battery.
I did not know one might have 2 batteries. Where besides under the drivers seat should I look?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by slider172
Mine does it too.
I dont have keyless entry, and have replaced the battery.
I did not know one might have 2 batteries. Where besides under the drivers seat should I look?
In the rear, under the lid. Where the subwoofer is on those that don't have the 2nd battery.

Yes, I know it's not called a subwoofer but having a brain fart right now.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:34 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Bose thing (round, could look like a woofer) is under the spare tire but no room for anyting else under there.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM
touareg
Drifting

So I tried testing the battery via the jump terminals in the engine bay today. That doesn't seem to be a good point, seems like there is a capacitor inline there somewhere, maybe to protect the system from a surge.

I unlocked the car, popped the hood and put the multimeter on the jump points. It started at around 13.4 volts and kept climbing, up past 15.5 when I stopped checking after a minute or so. (No car was not running)

So I ordered a M10 Triple square bit and plan to pull back the seat to check it off the battery directly.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
touareg
Drifting

Another weird thing to add to the mystery...

Another issue, went back to my car at lunch to check for leaking coolant (found none, but it could be in the engine tray) and had the drivers door open to pop the hood. Car alarm armed (like it does when you never open the door) and then the alarm went off.

I wonder whatever sensor this was that was stuck, maybe thinks the car door was never opened, never primes the fuel pump and anti-theft is still partially enabled?

I closed the door, locked, unlocked opened and cleary heard the fuel pump prime. Then started the car, 1st time, no issues...

I wonder where these door open sensor are, or if it is something in the drivers handle that triggers the door open in regards to the alarm system.

Grasping at straws here....
Old 02-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by slider172
My Bose thing (round, could look like a woofer) is under the spare tire but no room for anyting else under there.
Yes, if you have the Bose thing you don't have the 2nd battery.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:36 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be completely unrelated but has some similarity to a problem a friend had yesterday. His 993 wouldn't start. It would sometimes crank but not fire and other times not crank at all.

First thought was DME relay so we tried the one out of mine. It fired for just a moment then quit and went back to it's old habits. Another symptom was the door would not always lock/unlock. A few weeks earlier he had somehow triggered the alarm, not quite sure how he did it but it was somehow possibly part of the problem.

After much head scratching and trying of a third relay, we decided to begin from scratch. Disconnected the battery, while disconnected we turned the key to the "on" position to discharge any capacitors in the system, then turned it off. Then we hooked up the battery, locked it, then unlocked it, tried to start it and presto, started immediately on his original relay and not further issues. Turned it off and restarted multiple times, lit up every time.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 PM
touareg
Drifting

Cool, I should get my triple square bits this Friday, if I have time Saturday and its not freezing out (Boston Weather) I will attempt pull the battery and lose my settings

Sunday is off limits, want to focus on the Pats

Last edited by touareg; 02-02-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Another weird thing to add to the mystery...

Another issue, went back to my car at lunch to check for leaking coolant (found none, but it could be in the engine tray) and had the drivers door open to pop the hood. Car alarm armed (like it does when you never open the door) and then the alarm went off.

I wonder whatever sensor this was that was stuck, maybe thinks the car door was never opened, never primes the fuel pump and anti-theft is still partially enabled?

I closed the door, locked, unlocked opened and cleary heard the fuel pump prime. Then started the car, 1st time, no issues...

I wonder where these door open sensor are, or if it is something in the drivers handle that triggers the door open in regards to the alarm system.

Grasping at straws here....
Your spot on with your diagnosis of the door sensor etc.

Faulty drivers door handle switch will cause the alarm and no fuel pump prime scenario you describe.

Had the same defects about a year ago, dealer changed the switch in the drivers door handle and fixed it.

As for the starter motor hiccup, I get it about once a month and have not chased it.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:43 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

You might have a better time checking the battery and relays than watching the game on Sunday. Go Giants! Touche!
No worries! Go patriots!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

I've experienced no start on first turn, then starts on second a couple of times (2004CT). On the second try I heard what sounded like a relay click -- likely switching to the battery below the Bose Subwoofer. Replaced main battery, and problem went away.

I've found that the vehicle is very sensitive to voltage, and that if the battery drops below about 12.2V, bad things happen such as losing Comfort settings. If vehicle sits for about a week, voltage tends to decline. I've found this voltage tester useful from Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

In addition, I've found this battery maintainer very useful, if the vehicle is unused for a few days:

Amazon Amazon

This unit has some nice features, and is highly regarded by it's customers -- 5 Star Amazon rating.

Quick Reply: Turn key no start, turn again and she starts