Windshield wipers revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 AM
nelsonmx
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield wipers revisited

Hi all,

I know the wipers have been covered quite a bit but I seem to have a slightly different issue causing a similar problem.....
In my case the drivers wiper leaves an un-wiped streak in the center of the blade on the upstroke. The passengers blade leaves an un- wiped area in the lower area regardless of blade direction.

Here is what I found: On the passenger wiper arm there are two 16mm nuts holding the arm on. The right one is loose. When I torque this nut down both the drivers and passengers blades work perfectly! No elephant sounds either by the way........ The problem is the nut loosens as soon as I use the wipers and we are back to square one......

Just wondering if anyone has seen this on their Cayenne, and did replacing the two nuts and washers resolve the issue??

Bob
Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

If nut replacement doesn't help - some Loctite(tm) medium strength (blue) probably will. DO NOT use the red - you'll need a blowtorch to get the nut loose in the future.

BTW - is the nut a self-locking one? If so - the nylon inserts in them often distort enough once loose that they won't work anymore. If not - that's another thing possibly to try. Some of the big-box stores like Lowes and Home Despot have a fairly good selection of metric nuts, including some self-locking.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
nelsonmx
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Deilenberger....I tried the blue loctite already no luck. I'm assuming the lock nuts are worn enough that they won't hold anymore. The manual gives a specific torque for the two nuts....and they are different. I'll pick up some new nuts next week and see if that helps.....
Bob

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers revisited