Sponsored by:

What's "Auto-Hold function"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 AM
funkybuda
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's "Auto-Hold function"?

Today, Porsche Canada updated their site with new price/option list. Few notable changes:

1. Base price of V6 gone up by CA$600
2. Few more paint options to deal with the ugly black body trim, from $5300 to $6400.
3. A whopping price decrease of whole $10, yes, $10, on the Pano Roof
4. In the list of the standard equipment under "Suspension", there is this "Auto-Hold Function", hence the question in the topic as I am just in the process of getting my first Porcshe.
5. There is also one other "25th anniversary package" that's pretty meaningless but cost over $5K.

Last time I checked the US site, it hasn't been updated. Judging by how everything else compares, our friends south of the border should be getting the exact options for at least 15% cheaper.

So does anyone know what's this "Auto-Hold Function"?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 AM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it is when you stop on a hill you can remove your foot from the brakes and the Cayenne will not roll back, ( Auto Hold Function ) it will stay were you stop. My turbo has it, but I didn't know it was a option and not standard equipment....

Last edited by C4SJOHN; 04-20-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 AM
rudyrodriguez
AutoX

it is a standard option. I love it also. You are right. if you are on a hill, depress the brakes and hold. the hold light will come on and let off of the brake pedal. the pedal will stay "locked" into place. when the light turns green just press on the gas and go!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:29 AM
funkybuda
AutoX

I see I see....Thanks gents!!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 AM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyrodriguez
it is a standard option. I love it also. You are right. if you are on a hill, depress the brakes and hold. the hold light will come on and let off of the brake pedal. the pedal will stay "locked" into place. when the light turns green just press on the gas and go!!!
Hmm - that seems weird. In my "vintage" Cayenne, you don't have to engage anything. The car just knows that you don't want to roll backwards and stays put without any action from me. That seems to be a better design than one where you have to tell it "...and please do not roll backwards."

They have something called "reverse" for that situation.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:57 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize this is a year and a half old topic, but it seems like a good place to ask about my issue. Just picked up a 2013 Cayenne diesel w/Tiptronic, having traded in a 2011 Touareg TDI. The VW had Auto-Hold, with an associated on/off control on the center console. I could pull up to any stop sign/light - regardless of incline - and the brakes would hold without my foot on the pedal. As soon as I touched the accelerator, the brakes would release and I was on my way.

I can see the green "HOLD" icon on my MFD, but it's not "holding anything". Nor can I find an associated on/off button or switch anywhere. The owner manual says it should work automatically, but then goes on to speak in terms of the manual transmission.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible I don't actually have Auto-Hold on the Cayenne? Or perhaps I do - and it's got a bad module. Don't have a code reader, but then again - there aren't any errors on the MFD. Somebody help me with what I'm missing, so I don't make a fool of myself taking the issue to the dealer.

//greg//
Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Grohgreg: I also have a '13 CD and just discovered the Hold feature yesterday (pretty flat around Toronto). I was on the brake fairly hard, then noiticed the green light come on so I let go of the brake. The vehicle was completely still with no movement at all- very nice. As soon as I hit the gas to go, it turned itself off. So if your green light is on but its not holding, it may be worth bringing up with your service guys.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Good to know. But you didn't find a way to enable/disable either? On my Touareg, the Auto-Hold was a 2nd function on the electric parking switch. The VW switch looks similar to the Cayenne, but is situated on the center console. But I can't make the Cayenne switch do what the Touareg switch did, that is enable/disable Auto-Hold.

//greg//
Old 09-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

No way to enable/disable as far as I know. It just automatically kicks in and out when needed, but I need to press the brake harder than normal to trigger the green hold light.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's been a standard feature on the Cayenne since at least 2006, they used to call it "Hill-Holder" technology. If yours is not working flawlessly, then you need to take it in.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
grohgreg
Pro

This is not a question about Hill-Hold, that's an off-road feature. I'm talking about the on-road Auto-Hold function. According to the Porsche Technology Center microsite, the Auto-Hold function allows you to "...pull away on the flat or a slope without ever rolling.....". That's how my VW Touareg worked. No matter the angle at which I stopped, the Touareg automatically held the car until such time as I once again depressed the accelerator. I expected the Cayenne to work this way, but so far it's only worked when stopped on an uphill slope.

//greg//
Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 PM
TozoM8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 05 CTT has this on-road off-road.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:02 PM
maverick1715
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
This is not a question about Hill-Hold, that's an off-road feature. I'm talking about the on-road Auto-Hold function. According to the Porsche Technology Center microsite, the Auto-Hold function allows you to "...pull away on the flat or a slope without ever rolling.....". That's how my VW Touareg worked. No matter the angle at which I stopped, the Touareg automatically held the car until such time as I once again depressed the accelerator. I expected the Cayenne to work this way, but so far it's only worked when stopped on an uphill slope.

//greg//
I have a CTurbo 2012 and the auto hold function is activated only on a slope. Is there any way it can work on a flat road when stopped? I tried pressing the brake hard when car is stopped but with no luck. My Benz which is 2010 has that feature and works, it's hard to believe that the Cayenne doesn't. Thanks
Old 12-01-2014, 09:10 PM
John in Bismarck
Advanced

Maybe it's not called "auto-hold" but when our 08 Cayenne is stopped on an incline, the brakes hold the vehicle from rolling backwards, which makes it easy to get your right foot from the brake to the accelerator, while holding the clutch in. For a vehicle with a manual transmission, like ours, this is a nice feature.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:43 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

my 04 had it

Quick Reply: What's "Auto-Hold function"?