Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Pipe Repair - What else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM
libtech75
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Pipe Repair - What else?

Car recently began leaking coolant. I suspect coolant pipes need to be replaced.

I ordered the kit and will be taking to my indy to have them replaced. My question is what else is being routinely replaced outside of the standard "kit" items?

I understand thermostat as well as starter are often replaced for obvious reasons. Anyone replacing the water pump as well?

Figure as long as he is in there, if there are any other potentially problematic items that I can save on in labor I might as well do it now.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:43 PM
libtech75
Intermediate

I tried to read through the coolant pipe posts and haven't seen one spot on that says what else the owner changed at the time of changing the pipes. A couple did mention Thermostat and Starter but what about Water Pump?

Should I just change the Water Pump while in there and how important is it to change the starter? I have a repair scheduled in two days and need to order the additional parts now if I am going to have them in time.

Thanks!!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:03 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Take a look at the Starter price before you just tell your mechanic to drop a new one in. What's your mileage? What year of Cayenne? (How old is the starter along with the mileage on it?).
Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

If you have a CTT, then you want to have the "T" replaced that resides behind the engine.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:21 PM
libtech75
Intermediate

Thanks guys, I'm going with just the coolant pipe kit. The car has 50K miles and it's an 06. Hopefully there aren't any issues with the starter.

I ordered the kit from porscheoemparts.com that has it on special for $393.57 (without coolant) and shipping was $15 Fedex second day air to NJ. Best deal I could find and their customer service was fantastic. Just decided to pick up coolant locally. I also noticed they had far and away the best prices on Parts.

I did speak to Sunset Porsche in Oregon and they mentioned they add an additional water hose in their kit that they have been replacing at the same time because they noticed that hose tends to go bad within 1000 miles of the coolant pipe repair. Anyone know which hose they are talking about and have a part number? Maybe I'll pick it up with the coolant on the way to the mechanic and just replace that for cheap insurance.

It's crazy to me what a difference there are in Porsche part prices from dealer to dealer. I've owned several Audis and BMWs and just got off a Touareg so I'm accustomed to high part prices in general but I called the closest dealership to me in northern NJ and they wanted $75 for a gallon of coolant. Come on now.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:21 PM
libtech75
Intermediate

Car is an 05'. Typo.

Quick Reply: Coolant Pipe Repair - What else?