Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 V6 non-BOSE CDR23 replacement completed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by libtech75
I also thought the MOST connection was integral to the proper functioning of the steering wheel radio buttons.
IIRC: the MOST connection was a single optical connection in the back of the radio. The steering wheel controls are another connector. My brother - who was a professional installer for a number of years - says it will take a standard adapter (I can't remember the name, I'll ask him).
Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 PM
ryan09
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Did this on my 996....

I hate the factory Nav in the Cayenne...
Looks awesome Marc. Does the steering wheel and dash display work correctly? If so what adapter did you use to interface with them? I talked to a guy from NAV-TV and he showed me a couple of stuff I would need but still not sure about the price.

Ryan
Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan09
Looks awesome Marc. Does the steering wheel and dash display work correctly? If so what adapter did you use to interface with them? I talked to a guy from NAV-TV and he showed me a couple of stuff I would need but still not sure about the price.

Ryan

Ryan, that's in my 996, no most, no issuus. Still suffering with PCM in the Cayenne
Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
ryan09
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you figure out the Cayenne, let me know I'll be looking into it this summer for sure so we'll see how it goes.

Ryan
Old 11-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

The further (final?) adventures of the radio in Finn, the World's Dirtiest Cayenne: A few months ago, I found a proper single-DIN bezel here: http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=6985. It was a ridiculously simple install; anyone could do it. This is a perfect fit and looks completely OEM.

At the time, I also picked up an Axxess Interface ASWC universal steering wheel control interface. This sits between the steering wheel control plug and the radio (a JVC in my case). Last weekend, my brother - as noted, a professional installer - put it in. Again, a simple plug-and-play setup following the instructions with the interface module. No glitches whatsoever. All the steering wheel control buttons work perfectly with the exception of the 'Main' button, which does nothing.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
The MOST connection is sitting unused behind the new unit. Contrary to everything I read here, the MOST is not an issue; it's a plug-and-play with a VW wiring harness adapter. It works like a champ. I suspect that, at least for the non-BOSE CDR23, all the MOST did was talk to the dashboard display..
MOST does not interface to the MFD (dash display).
That connection is via a CAN - MOST gateway in the vehicle.

MOST is restricted to the infotainment devices only (headunit, amp, nav, CDC, sat radio, etc).
Old 08-27-2012, 08:29 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sean, did you have to replace all the wiring.....Im finally getting around to do this on my 06 and the installer is saying he has to wire the entire car......I maybe missing something here on an adapter into the system. Non Bose CDR 23......
Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

I didn't replace anything. The new piece plugged straight into the existing harness with a simple adapter.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:47 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

and what tis the name of this adapter....or should I just drop by the VW/P dealer......I can grab a head unit, dash kit off installer, but the adapter(s) are what are most in question.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:39 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Ok to summate what I have right now

Metra Double Din updated harness for double din $86 on amazon
Kenwood DDX719 $499 at BB/Online/Amazon/local stereo place
Metra Universal Steering Wheel Controls $49 on amazon
VW 1004 adapter wiring for aftermarket to system wiring.(CDR-23 and non Bose have this I believe). $29-40 bucks
Install quote $300 (because its a porsche?, I have to remove alot of panels? um I can take the bezel off and 4 spline screws in about 8 minutes.....the computer is sensitive....um ok so I guess this is insurance in case you fry it?)

Getting it done now because I didnt want to have to install the aftermarket double din thing, I have sliced my hand very badly 10 years ago on an install and its worth the 140 I believe I am being over charged..

This should be your spare parts list subbing in the head unit you like........fyi, Best buy told me that Avic's were din and halfs not full double dins......ignore this and see if they will move forward on your install if not, go pay more at a local expert.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:12 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Default pictures part list

installed and running well.
Attached Images     
Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Nice!

Can you replace the boot screen with something carrying a Porsche logo?
Old 09-24-2012, 01:38 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Yes sir, just put whatever picture you like on your phone and then transfer it over to the unit and select it for your start up image.

Bluetooth phone/mic works fine. It actually disturbs me to see texts appear on the dang console .

Need to find a decent dash or window mount to utilize some car apps I have, car home ultra is very cool for putting your favorite music media in a bigger jitter bug style button format...shows lat/long, speed, city and then the access windows you set up.........you can flip to navigation, pandora, google music, local music etc...

I can run another app Daily Roads voyager that runs like a black box by using my cell camera as a recorder and audio in a 2 minute loop, in case of accidents.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Dstinson
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
In words of one syllable or less: too easy. It's a simple plug-in using an over-the-counter VW adapter harness. The tricky part is turning out to be getting a dash kit. There's a fabbed piece in there now, but I want to get something more permanent and OEM-looking.

The steering wheel remote isn't resolved yet, but that will be handled using an adapter kit. Some of the buttons are going to be dead because the JVC doesn't have the same functions on its remote, but the JVC does so much more (iPod interface, USB reader, front-mount line-in, HD radio, Sirius/XM ready), that it's not a consideration.

Same story with the radio interface to the dashboard: the trade-off isn't worth it. And with how I have the wheel tilted, I never could see the radio display anyway...
Could you give me the part number of your over-the-counter VW adapter harness. I live in Germany and have to order it online for a US spec Cayenne.
Or does anyone have a link for one that will wor for a non-bose CDR 23? Cordsig79 I can not find the VW 1004 adapter wiring for aftermarket to system wiring you listed above.

Thanks Duane
Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry, no. I did all this a couple years ago.

Quick Reply: 05 V6 non-BOSE CDR23 replacement completed.