Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   05 V6 non-BOSE CDR23 replacement completed. (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/624597-05-v6-non-bose-cdr23-replacement-completed.html)

Shawn Stanford 03-28-2011 08:42 AM

05 V6 non-BOSE CDR23 replacement completed.

In words of one syllable or less: too easy. It's a simple plug-in using an over-the-counter VW adapter harness. The tricky part is turning out to be getting a dash kit. There's a fabbed piece in there now, but I want to get something more permanent and OEM-looking.

The steering wheel remote isn't resolved yet, but that will be handled using an adapter kit. Some of the buttons are going to be dead because the JVC doesn't have the same functions on its remote, but the JVC does so much more (iPod interface, USB reader, front-mount line-in, HD radio, Sirius/XM ready), that it's not a consideration.

Same story with the radio interface to the dashboard: the trade-off isn't worth it. And with how I have the wheel tilted, I never could see the radio display anyway...

ryan09 03-28-2011 01:18 PM

Which JVC unit did you install? I've been wanting to replace the CDR23 in my '06 but didn't find a easy solution yet. Looking forward to your updates on this thread.

Ryan

Marc Gelefsky 03-28-2011 01:24 PM

Shawn, You know the rules, Pics or it never happened!

Shawn Stanford 03-28-2011 06:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of the install. As I mentioned: the surround is a fabbed piece for now. I'm investigating if the Touareg single-DIN plate will fit. Right now the wiring harness is 'pinned', but I've got a VW harness adapter on the way. When I do the replacement, I'll be sure to post some pics.

Further updates as events warrant.

ryan09 03-28-2011 11:32 PM

How did you connect this to the MOST interface? Or it's just a plug and play device? I'm not too sure how you did it but good job, I'm sure it'll look good when you're done with it.

Ryan

Shawn Stanford 03-29-2011 08:10 AM

The MOST connection is sitting unused behind the new unit. Contrary to everything I read here, the MOST is not an issue; it's a plug-and-play with a VW wiring harness adapter. It works like a champ. I suspect that, at least for the non-BOSE CDR23, all the MOST did was talk to the dashboard display.

The biggest pain with the process has turned out to be figuring out how to slot a normal radio into the space used by the ridiculously oversized Becker unit. If the Becker had been a normal size, this would have been less than a 15-minute operation from start to finish, including pulling the new radio out of the box.

ryan09 03-29-2011 12:19 PM

Can you link me to the JVC unit you purchased or anything would work if I don't interface with MOST? The CDR23 unit itself is terrible but the sound system is good (I have the bose). Now I'm guessing your solution might not work on a BOSE sound system with CDR23 but it's still worth a try.

Rant follows, be warned.

Why would they put a cheap radio unit on a car you're paying over 60k for, I mean even my pathfinder '99 had a better system with no laggy lcd screen, I can't even see the characters on that thing when sun comes in from the sunroof jeez :D. Before I get the "shoulda bought the PCM then" replies, I'm not the original owner of the car :D

Ryan

Shawn Stanford 03-29-2011 01:03 PM

It's a JVC KD-HDR60, but anything should work.

NYC911 03-29-2011 03:30 PM

MOST is only and issue in the PCM Bose equiped cars. That said MOST can be pretty easily worked around. I had an 05 997 with PCM/Bose that I replaced with an alpine PDX-5 and Pioneer Avic z120bt. Much much better sound and a nav unit that acutally is usefull

cordsig79 03-29-2011 03:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQfW_zjWP18

this one yours?

Marc Gelefsky 03-29-2011 04:36 PM

Did this on my 996....

http://reutterwerk.com/forums/pictur...=3&pictureid=8

I hate the factory Nav in the Cayenne...

cordsig79 03-30-2011 05:19 PM

marc, I am leaning toward this solution since I am on the same CDR23 as Shawn and MOST is not really utilized in this model.

On a side note, just this week. I have an FM modulated in for an ipod. I was running a nano and older Iphone on it for awhile and the music was not well sent through the radio.

I have a few Iphones laying around due to a gf who always upgrades. I went into Itunes and did some fangaling and allowed the largest file size for the music file to push over and the combination of the new 3G Iphone plus fm mod in is much better now so I may leave this alone for now.

Sink a 1000 bucks into some other avenues on maintenance to carry me another 100k miles.

Marc Gelefsky 03-30-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by cordsig79 (Post 8429332)
marc, I am leaning toward this solution since I am on the same CDR23 as Shawn and MOST is not really utilized in this model.

On a side note, just this week. I have an FM modulated in for an ipod. I was running a nano and older Iphone on it for awhile and the music was not well sent through the radio.

I have a few Iphones laying around due to a gf who always upgrades. I went into Itunes and did some fangaling and allowed the largest file size for the music file to push over and the combination of the new 3G Iphone plus fm mod in is much better now so I may leave this alone for now.

Sink a 1000 bucks into some other avenues on maintenance to carry me another 100k miles.

Yeah, I'm just leaving the stock PCM 2 in mine for now, Have the Dension for my iPAD/iPhone/iPOD needs and use the Densions AUX for my Satellite radio so no FM modulators.

libtech75 03-30-2011 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford (Post 8425200)
The MOST connection is sitting unused behind the new unit. Contrary to everything I read here, the MOST is not an issue; it's a plug-and-play with a VW wiring harness adapter. It works like a champ. I suspect that, at least for the non-BOSE CDR23, all the MOST did was talk to the dashboard display.

The biggest pain with the process has turned out to be figuring out how to slot a normal radio into the space used by the ridiculously oversized Becker unit. If the Becker had been a normal size, this would have been less than a 15-minute operation from start to finish, including pulling the new radio out of the box.

I also thought the MOST connection was integral to the proper functioning of the steering wheel radio buttons.

libtech75 03-30-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky (Post 8426434)
Did this on my 996....

http://reutterwerk.com/forums/pictur...=3&pictureid=8

I hate the factory Nav in the Cayenne...

I guess it's all relative. I was coming from a CD based navigation on an 04 Touareg. Horrendous functionality and "dial up speed" slow. Compared to that the DVD based system in my 05 S' is amazing.