2004 Cayenne-S driverside road noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:46 PM
paulwu
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Cayenne-S driverside road noise

Hello everyone,

The road noise has been there for long time like 3 years. In the beginning thought was because of winter tire; then after changed to the 4-season tires same noise. It is really sounds like tire grinding noise. A mechanic testing drive and told me your 4season tires pretty noisy. Now the winter I changed to the new set of winter tires still same noise. Finally I changed the front driver & passenger side wheel bearing; fixed the passenger side noise but the driver side noise remain the same. Low speed and high speed same loud! Sitting in the passenger side and back are very quiet. What else it could making this road noise beside the tire and wheel bearing? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:59 AM
xsrfs
3rd Gear

just to confirm...its more like a grinding noise than a vibration?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 PM
paulwu
AutoX

yes..more like grinding noise..no vibration! Actually after changed left and right bearings the grinding noise still there. If not the wheel bearings then only half shaft and differential. I checked the half shafts they are firm and tight..has anyone ever experienced the same sympton? Hope not caused by differential!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:39 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Any chance it started around the time you had a break job done? Sometime different pad materials or a bend in the break backing plate can rub on the rotor and create anything from loud to slightly noisey sounds.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

noisy transfer case / diff

make sure no leaks. re torque all the bolts you can see
Old 01-08-2012, 12:40 PM
ozr
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by paulwu
yes..more like grinding noise..no vibration! Actually after changed left and right bearings the grinding noise still there. If not the wheel bearings then only half shaft and differential. I checked the half shafts they are firm and tight..has anyone ever experienced the same sympton? Hope not caused by differential!
...very often such noises are caused by non properly seated/initially broken in/or completely wearied out brake pad, which consequently non properly wears a rotor. Then rotor warps or just goes out of geometry.

I would replace rotor+pad TOGETHER at the same time and would REcheck in 6mo for proper geometry seating/breaking in...

Brakes cleaner sometimes just a little eases such noises, but doesn't eliminate them...

Last edited by ozr; 01-08-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:57 AM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Wheel Alignment and Road Noise

When we bought the 2004 Cayenne S, high levels of road noise were a factor in the price.

After replacing the lower control arms for a safety inspection, I took it to a local tire shop for alignment.

The surprise was when the tech told me he had corrected a toe-in on the right rear. "It was just one bolt to adjust."

Over the week since the new lower ball joints and the alignment, my wife believes the road noise seems reduced. It seemed that way to the original owner as well when he drove it yesterday.

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne-S driverside road noise