Sponsored by:

Fuse to tap for V1 install '11 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 03:30 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Fuse to tap for V1 install '11 Cayenne

Trying to hardwire the V1 in an '11 Cayenne S. I was going to tap into the fuse box on the driver's side of the dash. Do any of you guys know which one is keyed and a good one to tap into?
Old 03-12-2011, 04:40 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

when i had mine done, just had porsche of the village do it.. they gave me like half off the unit (Valentine is located in Cincinnati) and the install included still made it less than MSRP for the unit.

also, we need pics, MEOW!. lol (truck on the sick rims, not the V1)
Old 03-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 89 Posts

Can't answer your question exactly, but I tapped into the passenger side fusebox; there were only a few empty slots which did not have fuses installed, and these slots had only a positive lead running to them. In other words, if you put a fuse into one of these slots you would not have a complete circuit because there is no ground. So I cut a spare fuse in half, tore off the plastic and soldered a lead to just the blade of the fuse, and then used one of the screws mounting the panel as a ground. Only problem was that all the slots were live and unswitched. It works, but you have to remember to switch off the detector when you pull the key.

I might end up trying to tap into the overhead console instead, on a warm day with some liquid courage onboard.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just buy a cheap circuit tester, good to have around anyhow.

I tried doing the tap into the overhead but it took a long time and power was inconsistent. It was so much easier to tap into the driver's side fuse box, only 3 or 4 vacant slots, use the tester for power with key on and tuck the cable between glass and panel. Since I had already been in the overhead I routed the cable around the rear view mirror stem to make sure the cable wouldn't fall down.

I used a plastic putty knife to tuck the cable between the glass and panel.

Simple 30 min (max) operation.

Quick Reply: Fuse to tap for V1 install '11 Cayenne