New Cayenne owner - mObridge question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Jeremy G
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking New Cayenne owner - mObridge question

Hi,

I have now been the proud owner of a 2007 Cayenne S for 3 whole days, and so far loving the experience. I also have a 1990 964 Cabrio, which as you can imagine, offers a slightly different driving experience ...

Anyway, I want to install Bluetooth and iPod connectivity into the Cayenne. I have PCM 2.1 with the sim card phone prep. I have looked around a bit at mObridge (favourite), NAV-TV and Dension.

What I can't understand is, all of these kits appear to come with separate microphones - WHY? I want the install to be as close to OEM as possible, but why not use the OEM phone mic? This has started me thinking about exactly what the BT phone modules actually represent - are they using the OEM phone functionality of the PCM unit at all, or simply bypassing it?

Be good to hear any insights you have for a newbie!

Thanks,

Jeremy.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:34 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I put Mobridge in my 2008 Cayenne GTS and worked great. As for the mic, I asked the same question when my dealer was installing it and he said better to stay with the Mobridge mic. That said there is actually an advantage to that thought. I mounted the mic on the steering column and pointed it slightly towards the front passenger seat. That not only put it closer and facing me and the other front seat which reduced the ambient noise in the car that the mic might pick up. The OEM mic is normally placed in the steering column and pointed up so it picks up some reflected sound from say the windshield etc which presents a noise issue at the other end. The ambient noise plus the normal delay associated with bluetooth detracts from the clarity of your voice at the receiver end. Use the mic that comes with Mobridge and place it closer to you and more importantly pointed at you.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Jeremy G
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Is it even possible to use the OEM mic - how do I locate it? Do you know how this connects into the PCM unit?

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:32 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mounted the mic on the little plastic sun visor and just simply ran the wires up the passenger side A-Pillar and headliner by just tucking them in...works perfect and very simple install.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:21 AM
Bobtorr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobridge Blutooth

Were you able to get sound out of both speakers with the bluetooth or just the passenger side speaker. I have been told that Mobride w 2.1 will only give me sound out of the passenger side speaker. Any comments

Quick Reply: New Cayenne owner - mObridge question