Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get iPod-like functionality from a burnt DVD-R (PCM 3.0, PCM 3.1, BOSE))

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation How to get iPod-like functionality from a burnt DVD-R (PCM 3.0, PCM 3.1, BOSE))

(Will edit again with more detailed pictures when i get my Cayenne in 1-2 weeks)

figured this out when i had my Carrera 997.2, (Does NOT work on 997.1)

basically, this enables to to burn your home collection of music onto a DVD-R (4.7GB single layer or 8.5GB dual layer (note the dual layers sometimes are problematic to read)) and display the CD's just like an iPod hookup would display them on your PCM screen (Artists-->Albums-->Tracks).

this is directions for MAC owners, however PC users should be similar (Drag from the iTunes Folder (not from iTunes directly)) if you burn from iTunes it usually burn's them as apple format which does not read all the time on the PCM.

1: Insert the blank DVD-R into your CD/DVD drive (do not touch the back as they are very sensitive)

2: Prompt will show up asking what you wish to do with the DVD,

3: Click the prompt to "Open in Finder"

4: Window will open as shown:

5: Click "CTRL+N" to open another window in FINDER

6: Window will open as shown:

7: Left hand side you can click your computers name and then the "music folder" as highlighted above, OR music on the left and then will bring you tonext screen.

8: Window will open as shown, Click "iTunes"

9: Now Click "iTunes Music":

10: Select Artists you want (can either click and drag over desired artists one by one, OR hold command while clicking the artists you want (selects more than one) and drag into DVD-R folder, or select multiple folders and drag all over)

11: Now u can "right click" in the white area in the DVD-R finder and click "Arrange By" and then "Name" this will sort the Artists all alphabetically (Easier to find when in PCM)

12: Click "Burn" (bottom right of Finder Folder)

13: Insert DVD-R into the PCM and it will take maybe a minute to load and then the screen should show the DVD.. click for artists listed, click artist to see albums, click album to see tracks, click track to start playing.. will play to the end of the Album, then onto the Next album as sorted on the DVD.

(Note: if you drag an artist into the DVD-R finder folder and then change your mind, you gotta drag it back into the other finder... if you click delete, sometimes it tries to delete it from your "itunes" folder... so just pick what you want and keep an eye on the total folder size at the bottom of the finder window.)

-Riley

Last edited by rijowysock; 02-24-2011 at 01:33 AM.
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

saved for additional info.
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Default How to Play Internet Radio/Other from iPhone to PCM Via Bluetooth

Can play: Pandora, XM, Other Internet Radio, or Any sound from iPhone/iPad/Touch thru PCM via Bluetooth.
(more detailed instructions once Cayenne Arrives)

1: Link phone to car via Bluetooth

2: Set audio source on PCM to "BTAudio"

3: Now anything you select to play on iPhone/iPad/Touch will play over the Car's Audio System (Pandora, iPod, Games, Internet Radio, Etc)

Last edited by rijowysock; 02-21-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

So are you saying the PCM can read the Apple formatted files you download from iTunes, the m4a files? Or do they need to be mp3 files? Sounds like you're just burning a data filled DVD, right? My iTunes library is mostly mp3s, but I've purchased more from iTunes as of late.

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to give it a try from a PC.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:09 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by slwong23
So are you saying the PCM can read the Apple formatted files you download from iTunes, the m4a files? Or do they need to be mp3 files? Sounds like you're just burning a data filled DVD, right? My iTunes library is mostly mp3s, but I've purchased more from iTunes as of late.

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to give it a try from a PC.
im not techie enough to know the exacts.. if your in iTunes, it does something to the format to where they don't want to read. if you burn outside (burns as Data) it read's em fine..

i still very rarely have some albums that DO NOT want to read, (both MPEG and AAC) not sure why they don't read... and sometimes everything comes up for an Artist but again wont read.. just some random quirk that i get around by re-uploading the CD into iTunes. all my songs are MPEG or AAC, none are M4A... if you buy anything from iTunes you have to do a loophole to get around it (burn on CD and then import clicking to import at MPEG i believe.

been a while since i had my 997.2 so when i get cayenne i'll make a list of what burned, what didn't show up.. what didn't work and then compare it to the file types in my iTunes if that helps..

i remember burning thru iTunes as a Data DVD but it didn't work for some reason, again i'm not a techie... but i can figure it out more when i get Cayenne. i always burn as i showed above and usually 49 of the 50 CD's i burned would work fine... which is plenty of music for me.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Cayenne11DHO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you listen to mp3 files, would that be more convenient to hook up the iPod / iPhone with the PCM using usb cable? This way, you can listen to you playlists or create more playlists anytime with the iPod/iPhone.

Ever since the CD player of my current Lexus got jammed, I just hook up the audio system with iPhone which seems more convenient.

I would think if you prefer to listen to higher CD-quality music, then it's worth burning the songs to a CD as audio music files (instead of mp3 file)......but I don't know if the PCM still enable sort the songs by signer / album....guess not.

Last edited by Cayenne11DHO; 02-22-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cayenne11DHO
If you listen to mp3 files, would that be more convenient to hook up the iPod / iPhone with the PCM using usb cable? This way, you can listen to you playlists or create more playlists anytime with the iPod/iPhone.

Ever since the CD player of my current Lexus got jammed, I just hook up the audio system with iPhone which seems more convenient.

I would think if you prefer to listen to higher CD-quality music, then it's worth burning the songs to a CD as audio music files (instead of mp3 file)......but I don't know if the PCM still enable sort the songs by signer / album....guess not.
A: only 2011 Cayenne's equipped with the "Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with navigation module and universal audio interface" for $3645 USD comes with the USB slot in the center console.

B: if you use the above, you then need a dedicated iPod for the car ($200?), and to update it regularly (Yes this is easier)

C: if you wish to use the iPhone/iPod/iPad for playlist's you can still do so via Bluetooth and not have the phone/ipod/etc in the center console tethered.

D: i did not spend the $3645 for NAV in either of my previous carrera's or the cayenne so this is not an option available to me... so i found a way around it.(above)

E: if you do not burn as DATA it does not bring up Album/Artist.. BUT you can burn the DATA as high def if the original source of course is high def, (highest i have is 320, not sure what is considered hi-def however) would be important for the burmeister guys, but i assume they dont use ipod's because of the compression software.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:16 AM
Cayenne11DHO
Intermediate

It's good to know all these information.

Thank you Riley!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cayenne11DHO
It's good to know all these information.

Thank you Riley!
believe me, i was told for 5 months by the forum/sales men/parts guys that all 2011 cayenne's came equipped with "universal audio package" as standard along with the Bluetooth and floormats that are now standard.. but after i visited a dealer and saw just a 3mm miniplug jack in one vehicle i realized it only came with the Nav system.. so i'm going to redo my shortcut (with the help of forum member: tobyport, letting me know it works on the new cayenne's without Nav (note they call the non nav models CDR, and nav models PCM now))
Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I have been fooling around with the bluetooth interface on my PCM and found one glitch. I have a Moto droid, so I enabled bluetooth on the PCM, it worked OK (crappy audio quality, though) controlling the music through my phone, then went back to my Ipod or satellite. I left the aux. Bluetooth enabled. What is bizarre is that the phone will begin playing music on it's own - has scared the crap out of me a couple of times when Koko Taylor started caterwailing in my pocket! That has never happened outside of the P!G. It kept on randomly until I d/c'd the aux bluetooth.

The phone function itself works great...wierd.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:40 PM
jrams31
Track Day

Awesome post!! Thanks!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:13 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

***Just Noticed***

i had a member tobyport check out the DVD audio functionality on his NON-NAV setup and it worked.. BUT i just noticed he has BOSE which does play DVD-R's..

so anyone without NAV and without BOSE will not have the DVD-R functionality (me)

https://rennlist.com/forums/8327039-post12.html

really not a fan of first year adoption now:

was told "universal audio is standard for all 2011 cayenne's" which my dealer said included the USB input (now we know you don't get USB unless you get NAV)
was told CDR-31 was pretty much same as PCM besides the Nav functionality (now we know PCM gets DVD audio/video playback)
was told the black trim package makes all the trim black (now we know the trunk piece only becomes black when you have a black car)

curious what else i will find out soon,
Old 02-24-2011, 11:31 AM
arktos
8th Gear

Thanks Riley, works great. Now I don't have to leave an iPod in the small armrest compartment.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:18 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by arktos
Thanks Riley, works great. Now I don't have to leave an iPod in the small armrest compartment.
Did this work for the Apple store bought songs as well in the m4a format?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by slwong23
Did this work for the Apple store bought songs as well in the m4a format?
pretty sure you have to do this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1550

i did it to my whole library after finding that i wasn't able to burn the purchased songs as data... again i would TRY to burn and see what you have on there that:

A: didn't show up when inserted

B: doesn't play

go back to itunes, click "type" and see what's what... all my stuff is AAC or MP3

Quick Reply: How to get iPod-like functionality from a burnt DVD-R (PCM 3.0, PCM 3.1, BOSE))