Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get iPod-like functionality from a burnt DVD-R (PCM 3.0, PCM 3.1, BOSE))

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:03 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

Ok, just tried this and it seemed to work with my Apple bought songs!

I will give it another try with a greater set of songs as I only did a very small set to save time. I need to better organize the artist folders so that I don't have things broken out by each album. In many cases I only have one song/album, which makes it a little tedious in the PCM.

Good timing, as I just sold the old iPhone 3GS I was using in the car. I made enough to buy a new iPod, but I'm being cheap. This will be a good stop gap until there is a new "must have" iPod... too many Apple products in the house already...

Thanks for the post and help.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
Ok, just tried this and it seemed to work with my Apple bought songs!

I will give it another try with a greater set of songs as I only did a very small set to save time. I need to better organize the artist folders so that I don't have things broken out by each album. In many cases I only have one song/album, which makes it a little tedious in the PCM.

Good timing, as I just sold the old iPhone 3GS I was using in the car. I made enough to buy a new iPod, but I'm being cheap. This will be a good stop gap until there is a new "must have" iPod... too many Apple products in the house already...

Thanks for the post and help.
your one of THOSE people... download the whole CD!.. haha..

the new nano was a let down for me.. im waiting for the next one as well... and still keeping my fingers crossed that non bose setups will play DVD audio.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:06 PM
arktos
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works with dual layer DVDs
Old 03-02-2011, 02:31 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Spoke too soon on this one. I have some files in AAC format and the PCM doesn't even show they're on the DVD, same with the MP4 files. Guess I was just excited that the DVD loaded and played, but didn't actually remember what was on it until I put it back in the computer to check. Not sure what I was thinking...

Oh well, guess now the decision is either to convert my music to MP3s or just buy an iPod. That $300 doesn't sound like a lot at this point...
Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

additional notes:

if you build the folder as shown above, it created folders on the DVD/CD.. which can then be navigated thru easily in the dash.

if you burn them even as data/mp3 thru itunes it will then put them all in one folder with just track names and nothing else.

for users with CDR-31 you can burn as above but on a CD-R instead of DVD-R and it can be read the same (note, CD-R is 700mb, meaning around 10 CD's or so depending on bit rate and so forth). CDR-31 does not read DVD's, only CD's (so need to burn to CD-R and not the DVD-R like with PCM units)

Spoke too soon on this one. I have some files in AAC format and the PCM doesn't even show they're on the DVD, same with the MP4 files. Guess I was just excited that the DVD loaded and played, but didn't actually remember what was on it until I put it back in the computer to check. Not sure what I was thinking...

Oh well, guess now the decision is either to convert my music to MP3s or just buy an iPod. That $300 doesn't sound like a lot at this point...
i'd reccomend the Nano, 179$. 16GB too!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:32 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i'd reccomend the Nano, 179$. 16GB too!
Done... I had to test it before buying because I remember reading a post that there were compatibility issues with the latest Nano. I've had mine in the car for a few weeks now, works like a charm.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:06 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Done... I had to test it before buying because I remember reading a post that there were compatibility issues with the latest Nano. I've had mine in the car for a few weeks now, works like a charm.
glad everything works.. sorry for delay i was busying my butt figuring out how to ghetto burn a CD-R to read as folders and such..... FUN!.

i am starting to like the CDR-31 besides some of the dead ends built into the system.

Quick Reply: How to get iPod-like functionality from a burnt DVD-R (PCM 3.0, PCM 3.1, BOSE))