Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a 2004 Cayenne S (now I am scared to death)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:54 PM
willrwilli
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 2004 Cayenne S (now I am scared to death)

just picked up an 04 with 79000 miles on it and so far love it. But now that all is said and done I am getting paranoid. Here is what's going on and any advise is appreciated. I realize with any used vehicle you are going to have to do some things so here is my list. The car did not have an owners manual (one has been ordered) so some of this may be covered there. I also want to note that I picked an extended warranty from Carchex. Any opinions on them with a Porsche would be appreciated.

Passenger mirror does not work. Does not adjust or electronically fold. You can fold it manually but it is not real tight.

Navigation disk missing. My dealer bought this car from another dealer and both of them are saying the other one has it. Can you find a download someplace for this? Can u find a used one anyplace besides EBAY?

Only had one key. Where would you all suggest getting one. (besides the dealer)

Coolant pipes. I have tried looking at this through a mirror to see if they have been done and can't tell. Has Porsche steped up and started replacing these or are they still avoiding the issue.

Differential lock. Are there supposed to be lights shining on this all the time? Mine has no lights that are on.

Any help would be appreciated. None of these were deal breakers since I got a good deal on the truck. Just want to get started on some of these.

Last edited by willrwilli; 02-15-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 02-15-2011, 05:28 PM
joes95rx7
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willrwilli
Coolant pipes. I have tried looking at this through a mirror to see if they have been done and can't tell. Has Porsche steped up and started replacing these or are they still avoiding the issue.
> Not yet (probably never). Keep trying! use a bright flashlight and a dark garage. You'll also have to take off the backside engine bay fairing to get the right mirror angle. You have to get the mirror just right but it can be done.

Differential lock. Are there supposed to be lights shining on this all the time? Mine has no lights that are on.
> No, they only are illuminated when that function is active. You should never use them on-road. Only snow and loose gravel.

Hang tight for the owners manual. You will gain a wealth of information from reading through it. I would recommend re-reading it a few months after you have become acquainted with the vehicle too.

Sorry but no info on your other questions.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:35 PM
wirunner
Pro

Why would you be paranoid? Buyer's remorse already?!

Doesn't sound like you have anything seriously wrong...

key - dealer unfortunately or try Sunset/Suncoast; I'd prob avoid ebay keys
nav disk - did you look on ebay? or try Sunset/Suncoast

So now, give us the happy post...pictures and all.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 89 Posts

You can download a manual at www.renntech.org
HTH
Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 AM
willrwilli
Intermediate

OK I feel better now. I guess I need to get used to the whole Porsche ownership experience. It is amazing how much attention these trucks demand. I have had if for a day and "I AM THE MAN" everyplace I go. Mind you this is coming from someone who's other car is an Audi A8 and I have also had a corvette convertible, but nothing like this. I am loving it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had if for a day and "I AM THE MAN" everyplace I go..
Let me just be direct: No, you're not.

However, it is nice to see your initial terror has quickly shifted to delusions of grandure.

Welcome to the P!g Pen
Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Let me just be direct: No, you're not.
Nah, he is.

I went to my first meeting of the local PCA chapter last night. The meeting was in a little restaurant on the side of one of the higher mountains in the area and it was ***-cold up here. The driveway and parking lot were sheets of ice covered with thin layers of sand. When the meeting was over, everyone else trudged out to their 4x4 SUVs (except for the one brave soul who couldn't take it any longer and actually drove his '02 Carrera), while I jumped back into Finn and motored out in style, seat heater set to 'BROIL'.

Cayenne FTW!

Seriously: the Cayenne drew more interest than my 928 and 944 combined. I don't think the typical Porsche owner is used to the Cayenne as a Porsche, and they're fascinated by a Porsche that can be driven in less-than-optimal conditions. Of course, the most common question was: "How is the mileage?" My reply, in words of one syllable or less: "It sucks."
Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, take a step back.

A Porsche that can be driven in all conditions ... you mean like a Dakar 959 Carrera?

If you want a Porsche in order "to be the man", might I suggest something along the lines of a 993 GT1, 959, 964 Flachbau, 73 RS or maybe a Carrera GT.

But a Cayenne?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, take a step back. A Porsche that can be driven in all conditions ... you mean like a Dakar 959 Carrera?
Can't do this with a 959:

Originally Posted by ltc
If you want a Porsche in order "to be the man", might I suggest something along the lines of a 993 GT1, 959, 964 Flachbau, 73 RS or maybe a Carrera GT. But a Cayenne?
You've got it backwards. Have you seen my avatar? I am the man!

I just happen to drive Porsches...

Old 02-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Brit6
Racer

I would hate to put all that stuff in my Cayenne, for the fear or scratching the interior

Remember to be modest
Old 02-16-2011, 05:20 PM
lnferno
Advanced

To the OP, I know you mean...

I sold my 2006 VW Touareg V8 for my 2006 CTTS last year. Before I test drove the CTTS -- just sitting inside the cabin observing all of the features and whatnot, I thought to myself "this is really no different than my Touareg -- yah, the navigation/PCM is a tiny bit different and there were some other very minor differences, but for all intents and purposes, this is really just a Porsche badged version of the Touareg." ...then I stepped on the gas and took it around some twisties...

P.S. I actually de-badged the back, so it doesn't have the "Cayenne Turbo S" badge. I'd rather have people think "It's probably just the V6 version".
Old 02-17-2011, 12:02 AM
willrwilli
Intermediate

[QUOTE=ltc;8304208]Let me just be direct: No, you're not.

HATER!!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:04 AM
willrwilli
Intermediate

Got my manuals today and found a navigation disk on Ebay. So now I just have to figure this key thing (dealer wants 205.00) and try to see if the coolant pipes have been done. Going to try the mirror trick in the dark.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit6
I would hate to put all that stuff in my Cayenne, for the fear or scratching the interior

really? isnt that the purpose of having an SUV?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Brit6
Racer

Depends on who and where you live. If i do put anything in my SUV i make sure to have a couple of towels to protect the carpet/interior. Mostly just need the SUV for AWD and ground clearance, we get a lot of snow up here in Canada

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2004 Cayenne S (now I am scared to death)