Sponsored by:

trailer plug-in

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:27 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default trailer plug-in

I am installing the brake controller and noticed the receptacle that the trailer plugs into is not there on the 2011 cs. Is this a Porsche part or a common plug available at the trailer store?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:56 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It is available from your friendly dealer or I think also an autoparts store.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will be doing same when my 2011 gets delivered.

Does your trailer have surge or electric brakes? Heard electric brakes cause havoc communicating with Cayenne's electronics.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by luvair
Heard electric brakes cause havoc communicating with Cayenne's electronics.
Is this for MY '11? They work just fine with the usual Prodigy-type brake controllers on previous models.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:36 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Is this for MY '11? They work just fine with the usual Prodigy-type brake controllers on previous models.
Frank,

It is for a 2011 CS.. My prospective trailer guy (who has done Cayenne's) said only surge brakes for an open trailer as the electric brakes - even with the Prodigy - type brake controller can cause a non "handshake" / proper communication between the trailer electronics specifically with the Cayenne's electronics.

What have been your, or other owners Cayenne experiences using electric brakes with a Cayenne? Thank you.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

What have been your, or other owners Cayenne experiences using electric brakes with a Cayenne?
I have no experience with '11 models on this. I searched this forum and others and electric controllers and electric brakes seem to be working very will with the previous model Cayennes. In fact, many people seem to be preferring them to surge brakes. I am about to install a Prodigy controller in my '10 GTS as my trailer will have electric brakes. The trailer doesn't get delivered until the end of this month so I will report more then.

Now Cayennes and LED trailer lights are a whole different story.... (but there's a fix for that too).
Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
I am installing the brake controller and noticed the receptacle that the trailer plugs into is not there on the 2011 cs. Is this a Porsche part or a common plug available at the trailer store?
Yes it is a common part but much cheaper online and easy to install.

Did lots of searches on here when I got my '06 Pepper. After a few wrong way /dead ends I found the best place to get the receptacle from JC Whitney, IIRC cost me less than $15 inc S&H.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 02-15-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Frank,
It is for a 2011 CS.. My prospective trailer guy (who has done Cayenne's) said only surge brakes for an open trailer as the electric brakes - even with the Prodigy - type brake controller can cause a non "handshake" / proper communication between the trailer electronics specifically with the Cayenne's electronics..

Not exactly. A good old fashioned analog brake controller will work fine. Issues with Prodigy (and their variants) with regards to diagnostic pulses have been around since the alpha/beta years.

You can also get a "!" with surge brakes (since the brakes aren't there).
I've also heard you can get a "!" with LED lighting ... but I'm sure that is just an internet rumor.

What have been your, or other owners Cayenne experiences using electric brakes with a Cayenne? Thank you.
No problems lately, why do you ask?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

No problems lately, why do you ask?[/QUOTE]

Lewis,

I have an '11 on order with tow package, air suspension, and PASM, I plan to order a new Trailex CT8045 soon. I agree that electric brakes are the way to go (at least for me), but Trailex is telling me there is a compatibility issue between older and new Cayenne's with electric brakes. They apparently hear complaints regularly from Cayenne owners with the handshake between Cayenne electrical and their trailers. This is unrelated to LED's, but more with the braking communications.

I plan to also check with some Porsche techs soon and see what they experienced.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

i didn't try jc whitney but couldn't find anywhere else. the parts houses didn't have clue. my local Porsche dealer has it for $22. i think that is answer for me!!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikew968
i didn't try jc whitney but couldn't find anywhere else. the parts houses didn't have clue. my local Porsche dealer has it for $22. i think that is answer for me!!
For $22 I would go that route too. For some reason when I needed mine it was either not available or priced about $45 (don't remember which). VW dealer should also have it w/out the Porsche premium.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:34 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

To wire the controller inside the cabin, is there a factory harness already installed there that you just tap into? If so, where would I look for it? (I do have the factory tow package installed on a 2004 S)
Old 02-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by jakermc
To wire the controller inside the cabin, is there a factory harness already installed there that you just tap into? If so, where would I look for it? (I do have the factory tow package installed on a 2004 S)
I would recommend you do a search on "brake controller" and maybe add "prodgy (sp?)" as there has been a great deal of discussion on this already.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakermc
Best thread ever related to this topic by JFScheck:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-pictures.html
Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Following is a installation document if purchased an in dash brake control unit.
The manufacturer apparently does not have instructions for newer Cayenne's, yet, but after speaking with them, for me, it seems the Prodigy RF is the way to go.

Installing Electric Brake Controls
Controls: All
Vehicles: 2005-2008 Volkswagen Touareg2005-2008 Porsche Cayenne
Issue: Installing a brake control on a 2005-2008 Volkswagen Touareg or Porsche Cayenne
When installing a brake control on a 2005-2008 Volkswagen Touareg or Porsche Cayenne, using the factory brake control connector under the dash, you will need to obtain the connector housing and wire/terminal assembly in order to assemble the brake control harness. The following parts can be purchased from a Volkswagen dealer.
Connector Housing #1J0-972-782
Quantity required (1)
Wire/terminal assembly #000-979-228
Quantity required (2)
The 2 wire/terminal assemblies will have to be cut in half to produce 4 wire assemblies. The cavities on the connector housing are numbered and the harness can be assembled as shown on page 2.
TECH BULLETIN
Page 1 of 3

Rev 15 11-12-08 ©2008 Cequent Electrical Products, Inc.
Wire position
In connector
Brake control
Wire color
Function
Wire color on vehicle
side of connector
White
Ground
Brown
Black
12 volt
Red/Yellow
3 See Note Below
Red
Brake lampsignal
Black/Red
Blue
Trailer brake output
Blue
To locate the connector under the dash, you first have to remove the lower appearance panel. This will require removing (2) Torxhead screws. (See Fig. 1) The brake control connector will be to the left of the opening and wrapped in Gray foam. (See Fig. 2)
Note: If installing a Prodigy® or P3®, you may experience an erratic display on the brake control. To avoid or correct this issue, do not connect the Red wire from the brake control to the connector above. Instead, see page 3 for instructions on obtaining a brake light signal.
Fig. 1
Fig. 2
Bulletin Number
TB0021
Issue Date
January 21, 2009
Availability Date
N/A
NAFTA Compliant
N/A
Issuing Facility
Tekonsha, MI
TECH BULLETIN
Page 2 of 3
Remove 2 Torxscrews

Rev 15 11-12-08 ©2008 Cequent Electrical Products, Inc.
When installing a Prodigy®or P3®, you will need to obtain locally, a 12 volt normally open relay. Wire the relay as follows. See diagram below
1.Connect the ground terminal (85) of the relay to a know good ground under the dash.
2.Connect the trigger terminal (86) of the relay to pin #3 of the brake control connector.
3.Connect the red wire from the brake control to the load terminal (87) of the relay.
4.Connect the source voltage terminal (30) to a 12 volt source, this wire should have a 5 amp fuse installed in-line.
WARNING
Complete the installation per the electric brake control manufacturer’s instructions and mount the unit as directed. Perform test procedures as indicated.
Bulletin Number
TB0021
Issue Date
January 21, 2009
Availability Date
N/A
NAFTA Compliant
N/A

Quick Reply: trailer plug-in