Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod and Bluetooth Options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the mObridge (non Bluetooth) in my Pepper, IMHO the mObridge interface is very frustrating esp when you want to play playlists from the Ipod. I have a hell of a time selecting then playing a playlist (and I've read the manual several times), when I finally get it to play it's cause to celebrate.

Also, when you set it to shuffle/random, it has a limit of 99 songs in the list and for some reason it seems to have the same 99 songs even though I've got over 700 on the Ipod. And each time you shut off/restart the car you've got to reselect shuffle all over again.

If I were going to do it over again I would look seriously at the Denison.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:12 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I have the mObridge (non Bluetooth) in my Pepper, IMHO the mObridge interface is very frustrating esp when you want to play playlists from the Ipod. I have a hell of a time selecting then playing a playlist (and I've read the manual several times), when I finally get it to play it's cause to celebrate.

Also, when you set it to shuffle/random, it has a limit of 99 songs in the list and for some reason it seems to have the same 99 songs even though I've got over 700 on the Ipod. And each time you shut off/restart the car you've got to reselect shuffle all over again.

If I were going to do it over again I would look seriously at the Denison.
Which has the same interface

Handling the double click vs the 2 second click is the main complication
Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 PM
joes95rx7
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the great feedback. I wasn't thinking about the Aux input with the 3.5mm plug- that would work just fine to play anything the iPhone plays music wise. So music is solved... >>>$550 AUX jack- that's got to be some kind of record<<<

I'll have to call and ask about bluetooth to make sure it will work with my 06CTT (need to see what PCM I have). If it would work as advertised with being able to command the phone from the cars controls it would be worth it IMO.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:08 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by joes95rx7
I'll have to call and ask about bluetooth to make sure it will work with my 06CTT (need to see what PCM I have). If it would work as advertised with being able to command the phone from the cars controls it would be worth it IMO.
It'll work and it functions exactly like the OEM would. It's quite nice...I think you just buy the BT/Ipod together (it's one box IIRC). I had an email from Cartronics.com that they were selling 8 "iTronics" aka mObridge units for like $700. Not sure if they sold them all out or not yet. I'd check into that sale...good price.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks those prices are just way too high for this stuff? Maybe I'm the only cheap-*** on this forum. But isn't that triple the price of an iPod in the first place? I'd rather buy an iPad outright, that actually leaves the car with me, and a sweet set of headphones.

I mean I want it too, I do. I keep hoping one of you buying that new $140,000 2011 Turbo decides to unload all the cool gadgets from your wife's grocery mobile at fire sale prices. But I already feel penalized for having driven a car without integrated anything for years, so why do I have to pay a ransom to get it. It should be "unlocked" at 80K miles, or something. A reward for faithful Cayenne drivership.

What I really don't get is why when I drive a friend's Ford Focus rental, it may only have two cylinders and bicycle wheels with bicycle brakes, but it has all of the fancy audio stuff that Porsche apparently did not know to include on their high-end luxury SUVs.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Easy-Rider
Track Day

Smile 2006 Cayenne Turbo - with mObridge, bluetooth, spec-dock, and Porsche aux in armrest

OK - I went through this exact decision process last year for my 2006 Turbo (God I love my Pepper) after I saw the built in arm rest AV interface in the 2008 model and had to have it....

So reviewed the Dennison and mObridge (with Bluetooth) and after emailing, calling, and reading all that I could, as well as visiting 3 local auto installers my conclusion was the mObridge unit with Bluetooth (purchased from Amazon), the Spec-dock (from Atlanta) ashtray IPhone holder/interface, and the misc parts from Porsche to update my arm rest with the Mini jack interface and storage compartment. Did the install myself after watching about 10 Yourtube videos for PCM extraction and MOST connector removal and coupling (a little tricking to get apart - but not hard). First let me say that the arm rest part needed to be modified to connect to the mObridge aux connector. a little soldering and it was done (installed a mini female jack on the backside of the Porsche part) to accept the kit cable.. Again not hard just takes a little effort and thinking through.....

So now the Pepper has Bluetooth hands free for my Iphone 4, has a dock where the ashtray was (this is really great and doesn’t come loose), Yes it will play Pandora when disk 6 (manual input) is selected along with all aux when needed.. I do agree that the most frustrating problem with the set up is the Porsche interface (PCM) to control the Iphone ITunes.....it has a very steep learning curve.....but it can be mastered. I do recommend the mObridge unit....yes all the bits are expensive but it is cheaper than buying a 2011 Cayenne....right...and I now have all the functionality - yes I do have pictures and links that I used from Youtube (it was really helpful) but it will take a few days to post as I am traveling for the next few weeks and everything is on one of my home PCs. hope this is helpful.....Zoom.....

Spec-Dock: http://stores.homestead.com/2point5/...OCK/Detail.bok
Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to go cheap, there was a time before any of this stuff was available, I used an FM Modulator to get my ipod into the system and was very happy with it. No Bluetooth or headunit / steering wheel control but at least I got my music in there. Later I added a second for my Sirius and was ok with the sound until the Mobridge came out.

The difference in sound is not measurable, low cost analogue conversions vs digital. So its expensive, and still a compromise, I guess its still cheaper that changing to a Ford (which is lovely)

The FM Modulator should cost no more that $50 of ebay parts
Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 PM
lnferno
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy-Rider
OK - I went through this exact decision process last year for my 2006 Turbo (God I love my Pepper) after I saw the built in arm rest AV interface in the 2008 model and had to have it....

So reviewed the Dennison and mObridge (with Bluetooth) and after emailing, calling, and reading all that I could, as well as visiting 3 local auto installers my conclusion was the mObridge unit with Bluetooth (purchased from Amazon), the Spec-dock (from Atlanta) ashtray IPhone holder/interface, and the misc parts from Porsche to update my arm rest with the Mini jack interface and storage compartment. Did the install myself after watching about 10 Yourtube videos for PCM extraction and MOST connector removal and coupling (a little tricking to get apart - but not hard). First let me say that the arm rest part needed to be modified to connect to the mObridge aux connector. a little soldering and it was done (installed a mini female jack on the backside of the Porsche part) to accept the kit cable.. Again not hard just takes a little effort and thinking through.....

So now the Pepper has Bluetooth hands free for my Iphone 4, has a dock where the ashtray was (this is really great and doesn’t come loose), Yes it will play Pandora when disk 6 (manual input) is selected along with all aux when needed.. I do agree that the most frustrating problem with the set up is the Porsche interface (PCM) to control the Iphone ITunes.....it has a very steep learning curve.....but it can be mastered. I do recommend the mObridge unit....yes all the bits are expensive but it is cheaper than buying a 2011 Cayenne....right...and I now have all the functionality - yes I do have pictures and links that I used from Youtube (it was really helpful) but it will take a few days to post as I am traveling for the next few weeks and everything is on one of my home PCs. hope this is helpful.....Zoom.....

Spec-Dock: http://stores.homestead.com/2point5/...OCK/Detail.bok
That's just about identical to the route I'm taking this weekend. Glad to hear that it's been working out nicely for you! I'm really anxious now to get all of this stuff installed this weekend!

Besides Pandora, I have a few other apps that I want to be able to stream, namely 5-0 Radio (Police Scanner). I had a similar setup on my previous S4 and there were some days I wouldn't listen to music at all during my commute -- I would often just listen to the police scanner. It really freaked out my wife and friends when they'd be in the vehicle hearing the stuff you normally don't hear in terms of what "no-no's" are going on around town hehe

Anyways, back on topic. Sounds like you are very happy with the mObridge setup!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lnferno
I have a few other apps that I want to be able to stream, namely 5-0 Radio (Police Scanner).
I was addicted to 5-0 for weeks! At least until they pulled the CHP feed. It was great to hear what was really going on ahead of me on the freeways, causing the traffic.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Easy-Rider
Track Day

Default mObridge Install

Good luck this weekend....the hardest part of the install was removing the ashtray assemble for my spec-dock mount and running the cable assembly....sounds crazy but pulling the heat / air contol unit (has to come out to reach the bolts that hold the dammmmm ashtray in place) is not so straight forward there are 2 spring clips which need to be held down and cant be seen while at the same time pulling like a MFer on the unit....you really think you are going to break it or slice yourself....try to find a video on how it comes apart...I used 2 small paint can opener that you get from Lowes just the right size but it still was tough....

Again good luck....I love getting in the car, and mounting my Iphone in the specdock - so you can see who is calling, time, stock, email, text, etc, (of course this is only done when you pull off the road and can focus 100% on what you are reading) LOL - a much better approach then hiding it in the arm rest,,,,although I have that option installed as well - I really never use it....I mostly installed it for resell

Anyway - you will love it........

Zoom
Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 PM
lnferno
Advanced

Awesome, thanks.

Does anyone use an iPhone with mObridge that might be able to tell me if Pandora plays through the system too? I've had some difficulty with other systems not recognizing the iPhone as an iPod and also not being able to play podcast through third party apps such as Podcaster and Pandora Radio.
Ok - Got everything installed today!!!

- mObridge unit: check
- custom iPhone spec dock ashtray dock: check
- Parrot dual noise canceling mic: check
- 3.5mm aux jack in center console: check

Last but not least...

- ability to play pandora and other audio apps: CHECK!

There are two ways you can do this. One way is to stream by selecting the A2DP option or the other way is to use the aux input. I personally think the Bluetooth/A2DP method sounds better than the aux input.

On a side note, the parrot mic is great! I called two people after I got everything installed and they had no idea that I was calling from my Cayenne leveraging my new mObridge unit. Call quality is really good.

I will say that the iPod controls will take a little getting used to, but I'm sure it will become easier the more I use it.

The PCM really feels complete now. So glad I got the mObridge unit.

I'll post up pics in the next day or so when it's not dark.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM
joes95rx7
Advanced

Inferno,

Thanks for the review, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I hate to ask this favor of you but could you please post the part numbers of the all parts that you purchased. I'm getting pretty pumped to do this now, need to get these so I can place my order. Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:49 PM
wirunner
Pro

Inferno,

Thanks for the review, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I hate to ask this favor of you but could you please post the part numbers of the all parts that you purchased. I'm getting pretty pumped to do this now, need to get these so I can place my order. Thanks again.
The mObridge kit is pretty complete...depending on your own special adapter requirements, you may need a trip to radio shack or the like.

It's a great DIY.

Here's where I got mine (and FYI I feel like the price now is less than I paid a year ago): http://www.cartronics.com/Porsche.html

That is the website that the mObridge sales person recommended since for DYI you cannot buy directly. I am sure there are others. I did not have any issues with them and they seemed good but feel free to do your own research.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:32 PM
lnferno
Advanced

^ what he said. The only thing I bought separate from the mObridge unit was the spec dock (http://www.specdock.com/)
Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Easy-Rider
Track Day

Cool Well done....

Hi Inferno,

Glad you got it installed....how did you like pulling the heat/air controller? and cutting the hole in the back of the assy......not for the faint of heart.......

and yes, I think the mObridge handsfree has really great quatlity.....like you said folks don't even know you are on a hands free phone.......

Enjoy - your new tunes and hands free....

One tip I have read is - once you get the mObridge working well, it might be best not to upgrade the BIOS .......I have read some posts of folks who wanted to update to the latest versions (just because it seems like the thing to do) the tip was don't .............

Enjoy,,,

Easy-Rider
ZOOM

Quick Reply: iPod and Bluetooth Options?