SIM Card Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Beavis
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIM Card Questions...

Hi Guys-

I took delivery of an 08CTT yesterday. Previous owner ordered it with the cell phone SIM card option. I have been exploring the best way to integrate my phone into the truck. I have read about M0Bridge, NAV-TV and Dension. I don't really care about integrating an iPod. Only looking to take advantage of the using the PCM/Steering wheel controls for a cell phone.

I have read some of the previous posts on the topic, so I go down to my local AT&T store and acquire an additional SIM card. Only $10.00/month, and I can forward incoming calls from my cell phone to the new SIM card and voila...(or so I thought...)

I had the store transfer my contacts onto the new SIM card so that I didn't have to reenter all of the contacts throught the PCM. I installed the SIM card ( gold surface up and bevel to the right, per the owners manual).

After about 3-4 minutes the contacts all appear in tne PCM, and everything appears to the be working...HOWEVER, the problem is I can't receive a signal!
All I get is 5 'empty' bars with a note that the device is searching for a signal.

Anyone run across this? It's a new AT&T SIM card, 3G. It is the correct size. I know the PCM is reading the card as it loaded my contacts.

Any trouble shooting tips? I recognize that Bluetooth is a better solution, and will likely migrate to that in the future, but for the time being, would like to use the SIM card option.

Thanks-
Beavis
Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, Porsche's integrated phone setups are TRI-BAND systems and not QUAD-BAND. What this means is that (assuing Porsche and HK have not changed anything in their systems since MY2006 - a reasonable bet BTW) your Integrated Phone Module supports the following frequency bands 900/1800/1900 Mhz. 900/1800Mhz are European bands and 1900Mhz is where everyone in the US used to be. Then AT&T moved its cellullar traffic over to 850Mhz (hello Quad-Band - 850/900/1800/1900Mhz) to free up 1900Mhz for forthcoming 3G data traffic. Long and short of it is that your integrated phone will NOT tune in on AT&T signals. It SHOULD, however, pick up T-Mobile signals as they used both 850 and 1900Mhz for voice service (their 3G/4G HSPA+ service runs on the 1700/2100Mhz bands).

Buy a pay-as-you go SIM from T-Mobile and I'll bet you magically get phone service from your integrated phone.

Toby
The following users liked this post:
Calrizien (08-20-2019)

Quick Reply: SIM Card Questions...