Sponsored by:

where to buy an OEM trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 PM
rrich49132
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to buy an OEM trailer hitch

I have been looking online and can't seem to find the part for an OEM trailer hitch for a 2004 Cayenne S. I am more than likely going to buy the car this weekend and obviously it does not have one. I read over the posts and think I might buy an OEM hitch and put it on myself then take it somewhere to get the electronics done. I am only going to use this to tow my Kendon fold up motorcycle trailer for my track days and dirt bike so it will never have more than about 1300 lbs total with trailer so not going to get the brake thing as anything I pull will not have its own brakes.

Any suggestions where to get one? Also still a bit scared about having to modify my bumper as I dont want to screw up the car. Has to be some sort of indy shop that can do it at a reasonable price.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 548 Posts

Here you go:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ode=cayenneEXT

You can tow anything with surge brakes without installing a brake controller. If your trailer has LED lights, grab the adapter on the bottom of the page as well.

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 01-25-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:05 PM
rrich49132
Intermediate

Thanks for the link. It does not say if I need to modify the bumper. Also I can't tell if it comes with the electrical?
Old 01-25-2011, 04:06 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the wiring harness comes standard in the kit, but ask them when you order.

As far as DIY, it's really not bad at all. Yes, you have to cut out a section of the lower bumper valance about the size of a half-sheet of paper, but there are lines that show you exactly where to cut. There is also a really good A - Z shop guide floating around out there somewhere... I may even have a copy printed out.

I did the whole thing myself, including the wiring harness. The "electrical" part is really plugging two color-coded components into a controller box, with another color-coded adapter behind that if I recall correctly. No true wiring per se.

Hardest part was actually pulling off the interior cargo space carpeted panel under the back window to access the plug-in area above the wheel well/CD changer. I think it was a few-hour job for me. And I had to do it twice, since my first harness was bad.

BUT... I think it does require coding by PIWIS (or durametric?) to tell the vehicle this option has been added. I was lucky to find a local guy with a PIWIS...

I did not add the brake controller (yet) but there are great DIY instructions if you decide to go that route.

And the LED adapter is a must. I bought mine from a local U-Haul outfit for $15.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM
rrich49132
Intermediate

Thanks.

Feeling better about buying the car now.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As an alternative also get a price from Sunsetimports.com. Expect a few hundred at the dealer also for electrical
Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 AM
rrich49132
Intermediate

I think I will install the hitch and take it somewhere do to the electrical as I am horrible with wiring and such.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

make sure they have access to a PIWIS tester to turn on the required functions on the computers
Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 AM
rrich49132
Intermediate

Will do.

I have also been looking in junk yards for an OEM hitch. One was just sold for $450 so may do research and try to find one of those as well. Won't get the hitch till I sell my Jeep Grand Cherokee which has one. Once that goes obviously will need to get one installed.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the 20% off Winter Savings coupon. That would make the price at your local dealer probably better than Sunset/Suncoast and then you can forgo the shipping charge. There was another recent thread with the link; think it was good through 3/31
Old 01-25-2011, 10:43 AM
rrich49132
Intermediate

I am not familiar with a 20% off coupon? Where do I get it and it is valid at all dealerships?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 AM
wirunner
Pro

From a thread a couple weeks ago (sorry not savvy with links):
20% Off Winter Savings eCoupon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if you all took advantage over the holidays, but it's back. Like last time, go to your dealer web site, Parts -> View Special Offers. More details below.

Our Winter Savings eCoupon provides a 20% discount off the listed MSRP for Porsche Genuine Parts, Classic, Tequipment and Porsche Design Drivers Selection merchandise. The Winter Savings eCoupon is valid from January 10, 2011 to March 31, 2011, only at participating authorized Porsche dealers in accordance with the program rules and provisions.

How it Works: Complete the coupon fields below, print your counter-presentation copy of the eCoupon, and present the eCoupon at your authorized participating Porsche dealership (US only). You will receive your 20% discount from MSRP at the time of purchase. Applies only to Porsche Genuine Parts, Classic Parts, Tequipment, and Porsche Design Driver's Selection items intended for personal and recreational use, purchased between January 10, 2011 to March 31, 2011. Discount not applicable to vehicles, labor for repair or maintenance services, or motorsport components sold through Porsche Motorsport North America, nor to non-Porsche branded products or materials sold by dealers, nor to any item not sourced from Porsche Cars North America. May not be combined with any other discounts or offers.

Exclusions: Wholesale parts, tires, motor oil, some fluids, and insurance covered repairs are not covered by this offer. See your Porsche dealer for details.

Limit: one eCoupon per customer.

Enjoy!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 AM
rrich49132
Intermediate

Thanks,
that might be an option.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Guys-
Just bought an '09 Cayenne GTS with the hitch option. Where is the electrical connection for the trailer plug in? I didn't see it after a very quick inspection. But I did notice what looks like a covered box on the drives side next to the receiver. Is that it? Thanks...GR
Old 01-25-2011, 01:41 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by GR997S
Hi Guys-
Just bought an '09 Cayenne GTS with the hitch option. Where is the electrical connection for the trailer plug in? I didn't see it after a very quick inspection. But I did notice what looks like a covered box on the drives side next to the receiver. Is that it? Thanks...GR
You need the Pollack connectors. Your dealer should have them or you can get it from Sunset or etrailer. Plenty of past posts with pictures, p/n...

Quick Reply: where to buy an OEM trailer hitch