Sponsored by:

Another Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Oil Question

I just purchased the hybrid with the VW/Audi supercharged V6. The oil recommendation is 5W-30 and the sticker under the hood recommends the ESP formula.

Two questions - I had been using 0W-40 in my old Cayenne and in my Boxster. Is there harm in using this oil in this engine? It seems that the limits are wider than the recommended limit (although is the 0 weight too thin)?

Also - Mobil1 does make a 5W-30 ESP line of oil that I must use in our Mercedes diesel (ESP = Emission System Protection) that is supposed to be cleaner in support of the diesel filters. While it is good that I have two cars that use the same oil, it is a PITA to find (besides the stealer, the only place I can find this oil is at pep boys). Why would they (Porsche/Audi/VW) recommend this type of oil?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The lower viscosity of 5w-30 versus 0w-40 is to save fuel with the thinner oil at operating temperature . This is typical of the hybrids I'm familiar with from Toyota, for example, who specify 0w-20. If the factory recommends the thinner oil it's no doubt safe to use but I can't imagine using the 0w-40 would hurt anything other than giving a minor hit to mileage.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:14 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they only list the 5w-30 that is what i would use -- if they give you a range and the 0w-40 is within that range -- its up to you. I would not use a weight that was not listed.

My local MB dealer only charges 8.00 a QT? I pass a Pep Boys somewhere once a week -- they are always having a sale on M1 for 5 quarts and an oil filter for around 30 bucks. I give the filters to the kids in the neighborhood because they don't sell any filters for my cars. I buy the oil in advance because they don't always have the 0w-40 when I need it.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
I pass a Pep Boys somewhere once a week -- they are always having a sale on M1 for 5 quarts and an oil filter for around 30 bucks.
I've seen that deal too - unfortunately, when I tried to take advantage of it with the M1 ESP formula, the checkout lady said it wasn't part of the promotion...

Quick Reply: Another Oil Question